Cobb BBQ - Cooking with a Cobb Barbecue - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #15

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
We run into frequent charcoal bans in our state parks. (For awhile last year, a cooking outside at all ban.) You could probably get away with this if nobody looked too closely, though.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita
Lemuria
Registry
Can't even use a propane stove? Sounds pretty Draconian. I have two Weber Go-Anywhere grilles, one uses propane and the other one uses charcoal. I have a set of Grill Grates which I can use on either one since they both have the same grill footprint.

GrillGrates For Any Grill | GrillGrate

And for you "Cobbers" out there, they even make one for it too.

http://www.grillgrate.com/grillgrate...he-cobb-grill/

I also bring my Camp Chef 2 burner stove, along with single burner flattop grill just for general cooking and for use with pots and pans. I don't use the trailer's stove for anything but maybe boiling water, as we don't want the cooking smells getting into the carpeting on the walls. I love the wonderful smells of cooking, just not in my trailer.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #17

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Can't even use a propane stove? Sounds pretty Draconian.
Worse than that. We were camping June 2015. Burn bans normally start in July if at all. Getting ready for our final group meal, and the park ranger came around and told us that a total burn ban was now on, and we could only cook inside the RVs. Threw a monkey wrench into my plans for the dinner but I ended up being able to bake in a friend's trailer.

It was very, very dry all through the spring and summer in 2015. This year we don't even have a charcoal ban.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Lemuria
Registry
So based on that Park Ranger's "logic," how then would a tent camper cook food? Inside their tent? Well, let's burn down the whole tent and really start a forest fire, rather than allowing a small stove set up on the table, or in the fire pit. Sounds like those people have no common sense to me. Does that mean you can't smoke outside either?
Just makes you wonder how these whizz-bang geniuses come up with their "one-size-fits-none" rules.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #19

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
What is the purpose of those "Grill Grates"? As in, what's the difference between those and the grills that come with the Q?
Looks like harder to clean.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #20

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
So based on that Park Ranger's "logic," how then would a tent camper cook food? Inside their tent? Well, let's burn down the whole tent and really start a forest fire, rather than allowing a small stove set up on the table, or in the fire pit. Sounds like those people have no common sense to me. Does that mean you can't smoke outside either?
Just makes you wonder how these whizz-bang geniuses come up with their "one-size-fits-none" rules.
It wasn't the Park Ranger's decision- it was statewide. He just came around to inform us of it. What happens here- which I think is idiotic- is that the National Forest puts a ban on fires. Then the State Park system jumps on with their own ban even though they don't have dispersed camping and do have designated fire pits (usually contained metal pits) so they can be in sync with the NFS. Then over a period of a few weeks to a month calmer minds prevail and decide that if it is actually pouring rain maybe it is okay to have a fire. Last summer was the first time I've heard the "no outside cooking" one, though, and I agree, it was kind of impossible for a lot of people. It was definitely very dry but they could have banned campfires and even charcoal without going to the outdoor cooking extreme. Especially since it didn't exempt people already there camping (happened on Saturday morning.)
Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #21

Washington
Registry
I asked one of them once how many forest fires had been started by people cooking over charcoal in a state park.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #22

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I asked one of them once how many forest fires had been started by people cooking over charcoal in a state park.
I think the issue is the careless disposal of the coals, despite signs on the trash cans telling people not to dump hot coals.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #23

Washington
Registry
They said it was because you can't turn them off by turning a knob. But at one campground they did let a friend use a pellet grill since that could be shut down quickly.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #24

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Come visit the group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CobbCooking

Here's one of my many Cobb videos. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/bdeQkdnJVM8
Thanks for posting; tried this last night and it was awesome. SIL was still snacking when we went to bed and it was all gone this morning.

Al
Old 09-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #25
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Some pretty significant discussion of non-Cobb grilling/barbecue has been moved to

Grilling or BBQ (Topic Split).
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #26

Name: Marky
Texas
Cobb BBQ - Cooking with a Cobb Barbecue

Decided to BBQ a beef brisket using my COBB. I cut the brisket in half, rubbed it in mustard and spiced it. Covered two on the holes of the holes on the cover using foil. I cooked it using Kingsford charcoal for 3 hours, opened it up and added more charcoal and water. An hour later (4 hours into the cook) I wrapped it in foil with a little water and spices added to it. I cooked it for another 2 hours, for a total of 6 hours. Let it rest for 30 minutes. It came out super moist and tender, with a nice smoke ring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1484265838.107750.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	102255

Happy Camping!
Marky