Cobb BBQ - Cooking with a Cobb Barbecue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Cobb BBQ - Cooking with a Cobb Barbecue

This topic came up on another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janallanp View Post
What's a Cobb?
Hi, Jan. Thanks for asking. The Cobb is a very small, charcoal fired cooking device. There are several threads about its use, here on FiberglassRV.com. I would link to one of them, but the ones I looked at all kinda assumed you already know what it is.

There are also lots of videos on using them on YouTube. Basically, the Cobb was originally developed for use in Africa, where corncobs are a major source of fuel (wood and wood-derived charcoal being scarce in many areas of that continent). The firebox is relatively small, and the hot parts of the cooker are enclosed in a wire mesh that doesn't get hot, so it can be easily moved if needed, and is not likely to catch anyone's grass hut on fire.

Anyway, here's a YouTube link to . Note: you can cook lots more than BBQ on a Cobb - in fact, it's not really the best grill for barbecuing, because the grease drips into the "moat" and avoids flame kissing the meat.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #2

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Come visit the group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CobbCooking

Here's one of my many Cobb videos. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/bdeQkdnJVM8
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
New Cobb Accessory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
This topic came up on another thread.

Hi, Jan. Thanks for asking. The Cobb is a very small, charcoal fired cooking device. There are several threads about its use, here on FiberglassRV.com. I would link to one of them, but the ones I looked at all kinda assumed you already know what it is.

There are also lots of videos on using them on YouTube. Basically, the Cobb was originally developed for use in Africa, where corncobs are a major source of fuel (wood and wood-derived charcoal being scarce in many areas of that continent). The firebox is relatively small, and the hot parts of the cooker are enclosed in a wire mesh that doesn't get hot, so it can be easily moved if needed, and is not likely to catch anyone's grass hut on fire.

Anyway, here's a YouTube link to . Note: you can cook lots more than BBQ on a Cobb - in fact, it's not really the best grill for barbecuing, because the grease drips into the "moat" and avoids flame kissing the meat.
You might be interested to know that Cobb now offers a barbecue grill plate with holes all the way across it so that it does drip onto the coals. Go to firecraft.com to see it. They seem to offer the most complete line of accessories for the Cobb grill, with good prices and free shipping on orders over $99.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not my idea of what constitutes a barbecue.
It is merely just another overpriced small camp grill, and it is not at all a barbecue in the true sense of all that is decent and holy in barbecuing circles.
Grills create heat, specifically direct flame heat, as does this grill, whereas barbecues create low indirect heat. (The key words here to define a barbecue are "Low & Slow.") They're totally different cooking styles. Not saying it isn't a good little grill, but it is a grill. It is not, and never will be, a barbecue.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Whether the Cobb is overpriced is a matter of opinion. I've used it for babequeing (low, slow, indirect), roasting, baking, smoking, and toasting (ok, marshmallows!). I can say with no reservation that the quality of construction, economy of cooking (normally using 8 briquettes) and versatility of the accessories makes this an incredible value, to me. Definitely not a gimmick and no, I don't own stock.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Washington
Registry
I didn't say it was poorly made, but you aren't going to convince me that it is in any way a barbecue. If you like it, that's all that matters. As far as price, well, FWIW, I've been known to spend thousands on various cooking appliances and equipment, so price isn't an issue for me. If I want it, I buy it.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not my idea of what constitutes a barbecue.
It is merely just another overpriced small camp grill, and it is not at all a barbecue in the true sense of all that is decent and holy in barbecuing circles.
Grills create heat, specifically direct flame heat, as does this grill, whereas barbecues create low indirect heat. (The key words here to define a barbecue are "Low & Slow.") They're totally different cooking styles. Not saying it isn't a good little grill, but it is a grill. It is not, and never will be, a barbecue.
Overpriced? Considering that I can pick the thing up by the mesh-work wrapping the bottom while it's 400F inside the dome I'd say "Well Engineered Product". And that doesn't come cheap. Stainless steel and well machined parts.

BBQ? I've done a 4-hour low & slow smoke. Here's a video I made quite some time ago:

https://youtu.be/eZGJZLivD6o

By judicious positioning of coals and the various elements of the Cobb you can crank out darn near anything. Considering that the thing fits in a nice carrying bag, and that it uses hardly any fuel, I'd say it's a bargain. No, it's not a big-ass BBQ setup. But then, can you easily (emphasis on "easily") haul that around in your Scamp?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Our favorite camping pizza is made on our Cobb. Something like this link but less fancy.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #9

Minnesota
Registry
One of my videos!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
Well, like I said earlier, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. It just isn't something I would like as it doesn't meet my needs, mainly because it is so dinky. OK, so it's well made, but there's no getting away from it being only 12" around. What do you make on it, 2 pork chops? a handful of hot dogs? two burgers? I need a lot more grill room than it offers for my liking. But, please enjoy your Cobbs. I hope you all have many happy adventures with them. (Seriously, I'm not being a wise a$$ here.. I truly hope you enjoy them.)
Old 09-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Way too small for me. I've settled on a Napoleon with two burners so I can cook indirect. Nice tall lid for whole chicken or beef roast.
Attached Thumbnails
Napoleon hose 2.jpg  
Old 09-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've owned my Cobb for almost 15 years. When I bought mine, the base was plastic and cracked if left in direct sunshine. (I had to replace mine last year with the metal version. Also, when I bought mine, it was not promoted as a BBQ or Grill. It was called a Cobb Cooker. Mine serves as an oven while living in my Scamp. I also use a Weber Go Anywhere grill for grilling.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #13
Administrator

Registry
I agree it's weird to promote it as a BBQ. The title of this thread is from the title of the YoutTube video...

I use my Cobb Cooker in the way others use a propane Coleman stove: I cook as much using the "wok" pan as I do any of the other accessoriess. YMMV, but I have personally always hated carrying the little propane canisters, plus our Coleman stove is a "lite line," which has practically no wind baffling. Rather than upgrade the Coleman, we got the Cobb.

I can cook just about anything inside our Escape 21, where I have 3 burners and an oven; but when I want to cook outdoors at the picnic table, the Cobb is a great solution... Unless we're camping with electric hookup, when I can (and do) use my electric skillet on a long extension cord.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 09-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #14
Administrator

Registry
Yes, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
You might be interested to know that Cobb now offers a barbecue grill plate with holes all the way across it so that it does drip onto the coals. Go to firecraft.com to see it. They seem to offer the most complete line of accessories for the Cobb grill, with good prices and free shipping on orders over $99.
I do know about the new grill plate, and am on the Cobb Cooking Facebook group.
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 09-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
We run into frequent charcoal bans in our state parks. (For awhile last year, a cooking outside at all ban.) You could probably get away with this if nobody looked too closely, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #16

Washington
Registry
Can't even use a propane stove? Sounds pretty Draconian. I have two Weber Go-Anywhere grilles, one uses propane and the other one uses charcoal. I have a set of Grill Grates which I can use on either one since they both have the same grill footprint.

GrillGrates For Any Grill | GrillGrate

And for you "Cobbers" out there, they even make one for it too.

http://www.grillgrate.com/grillgrate...he-cobb-grill/

I also bring my Camp Chef 2 burner stove, along with single burner flattop grill just for general cooking and for use with pots and pans. I don't use the trailer's stove for anything but maybe boiling water, as we don't want the cooking smells getting into the carpeting on the walls. I love the wonderful smells of cooking, just not in my trailer.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Can't even use a propane stove? Sounds pretty Draconian.
Worse than that. We were camping June 2015. Burn bans normally start in July if at all. Getting ready for our final group meal, and the park ranger came around and told us that a total burn ban was now on, and we could only cook inside the RVs. Threw a monkey wrench into my plans for the dinner but I ended up being able to bake in a friend's trailer.

It was very, very dry all through the spring and summer in 2015. This year we don't even have a charcoal ban.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #18

Washington
Registry
So based on that Park Ranger's "logic," how then would a tent camper cook food? Inside their tent? Well, let's burn down the whole tent and really start a forest fire, rather than allowing a small stove set up on the table, or in the fire pit. Sounds like those people have no common sense to me. Does that mean you can't smoke outside either?
Just makes you wonder how these whizz-bang geniuses come up with their "one-size-fits-none" rules.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What is the purpose of those "Grill Grates"? As in, what's the difference between those and the grills that come with the Q?
Looks like harder to clean.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
So based on that Park Ranger's "logic," how then would a tent camper cook food? Inside their tent? Well, let's burn down the whole tent and really start a forest fire, rather than allowing a small stove set up on the table, or in the fire pit. Sounds like those people have no common sense to me. Does that mean you can't smoke outside either?
Just makes you wonder how these whizz-bang geniuses come up with their "one-size-fits-none" rules.
It wasn't the Park Ranger's decision- it was statewide. He just came around to inform us of it. What happens here- which I think is idiotic- is that the National Forest puts a ban on fires. Then the State Park system jumps on with their own ban even though they don't have dispersed camping and do have designated fire pits (usually contained metal pits) so they can be in sync with the NFS. Then over a period of a few weeks to a month calmer minds prevail and decide that if it is actually pouring rain maybe it is okay to have a fire. Last summer was the first time I've heard the "no outside cooking" one, though, and I agree, it was kind of impossible for a lot of people. It was definitely very dry but they could have banned campfires and even charcoal without going to the outdoor cooking extreme. Especially since it didn't exempt people already there camping (happened on Saturday morning.)