Cobb Cooker - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Cobb Cooker

I use a Cobb Cooker for BBQ, Grilling and Baking while living in our Scamp. The Cobb is great for baking, good for BBQ and works for grilling. Has anyone else here discovered the Cobb?

Sorry about this post, this is my first visit to the cocking section. The Cobb seems almost to be a cooker of choice!

Mine is old enough that the base was plastic. It finally cracked, and I got a stainless replacement.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Yep, I have used mine for baking & cooking also, they work great and use very little charcoal. I have the same truck as you too.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I have one too. Nice units. Haven't used it as much as I'd like to though. I see there are some new accessories out now also.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Love mine, can cook anything, when you have the accessories, from beautiful artisanal breads to bacon and eggs. Haven't baked a cake yet, but might give that a try real soon. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
Love mine, can cook anything, when you have the accessories, from beautiful artisanal breads to bacon and eggs. Haven't baked a cake yet, but might give that a try real soon. terry r.
I don't have any accessories, I lift a pan that fits under the dome above the cooking plate with three stones of the same size that I pick up off the ground at the camp site. I bake bread, brownies, cakes, pizza and cookies using that method. I never thought of putting water in the moat for artisanal bread until I read it on this site. The Cobb has become my camp oven since our Scamp does not have one built in. Before the Cobb, and in areas that don't allow charcoal, I use an Outback Oven over a one burner backpacking stove.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I don't have any accessories, I lift a pan that fits under the dome above the cooking plate with three stones of the same size that I pick up off the ground at the camp site. I bake bread, brownies, cakes, pizza and cookies using that method. I never thought of putting water in the moat for artisanal bread until I read it on this site. The Cobb has become my camp oven since our Scamp does not have one built in. Before the Cobb, and in areas that don't allow charcoal, I use an Outback Oven over a one burner backpacking stove.
I love the Cobb too! We haven't cooked on it in a while so we dug it out, cleaned it up and are taking it on our next trip. We added most of the accessories when we were using it a lot. We really don't use the extension or chicken roaster much but use all the others. You can still get some accessories like this one for baking and roasting:
Amazon.com: Cobb Fenced Roast Rack: Kitchen & Dining
The company is coming out with a smaller compact Cobb and a bigger roaster as well as a propane version.
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
This reminds me of our Flavor-Wave Oven in it's versatility. However, the Flavor-Wave uses 110v electricity and I'll bet it's slightly less and "efficient." I'm gotta check this out.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
I was interested in the Cobb, but read several reviews on Amazon that said it was hard to clean. Since we plan to boondock, I backed off buying one in consideration of water usage.

Do any of you Cobb owners find it hard to clean?
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
You can build a rocket stove for a lot less than buying a Cobb. If you Google 'rocket stove' you'll find tons of good, and cheap, ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #10

Kentucky
Didn't google it because I personally am not interested in building a cooker, but thank you for letting us know it's an option. Some folks like to do whatever it takes to save money, some like to build because they like to build, some like to purchase ready-made because they can't build, and some just like to buy quality gear.

Different strokes...
Old 11-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Llfalcon, I spray the dome and moat. If you want it to go back to the "unseasoned" stainless look, Bar Keepers friend is a Cobb's best friend. Take some with you, or wait until you get it home. The accessories are very well made and non stick, so those clean up easily.

Supposedly, you can pop it in the dishwasher, but I have not tried that.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #12

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Silly me, I thought people who boondock LIKE to save money. Lesson learned: never assume

Old 11-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #13

Minnesota
While camping, I don't do more than wash the grease away. When I get home, I put it in the dish washer. Once a year, I clean it with Bar Keeper's Friend to bring it back to as new appearance.

Phillip, I must state that at retail price, Cobb Cookers are expensive for what you get! I bought mine in the late 90's on close out from Camping World for less than $50.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #14

I got one from Woot, when they were getting out of business in USA. Then I bought 3, one for each kid, on close out from Camping World, for $45, each. I also bought the floor model for something like $20.

It had a rubber foot missing and no box. I figured, if nothing else, it could be a parts grill. Ended up getting a foot for free and use it when I want to cook additional food, using a different accessory.

Use it at home all the time.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Silly me, I thought people who boondock LIKE to save money. Lesson learned: never assume
A Rocket Stove cooks outside the flue. A Cobb cooks inside the dome. Two totally different kinds of cookers. The only similarity is both use a burning fuel.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #16

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post

Saving money isn't a bad thing, but it's not the only reason a person would want to boondock. I personally have little interest in staying in campgrounds, parked right next to and in the midst of who knows how many others. I want to boondock as a way to get away from "it all" and to park right next to and in the midst of nature. We'll save money, no doubt, but that's not the reason we'll do it.

Wasn't busting on ya, just saying we all have different reasons and agendas.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #17

Kentucky
Registry
I was wondering about price and where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
I got one from Woot, when they were getting out of business in USA. Then I bought 3, one for each kid, on close out from Camping World, for $45, each. I also bought the floor model for something like $20.

It had a rubber foot missing and no box. I figured, if nothing else, it could be a parts grill. Ended up getting a foot for free and use it when I want to cook additional food, using a different accessory.

Use it at home all the time.
I've found them on Amazon but there doesn't seem to be any reviews so I was suspicious of the quality and source. I know that a lot of these types of things can be the subject of foreign knock-offs and then you get junk. Amazon has three colors of the Pro Cobb size (red, blue, and white) and a slightly shorter one they're calling Cobb Compact. The footprint of the compact is the same but the base is half the height for space saving. Some of these are reported as discontinued by the manufacturer. Any recommendations?
Old 12-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #18
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I got mine from Amazon when the USA distributor was going out of business. I bought all the accessories, thinking I might never be able to get them again. Yes, it was expensive - but I was looking for a way to cook outside without carrying those little disposable propane canisters. The Cobb works as advertised and has been fun to use. The only downside for us is when there's a burn ban that extends to charcoal.

Footnote: Of course, there's a new USA distributor now and all the accessories are readily available.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #19

Kentucky
Registry
Mary, do all the accessories fit into the carrying bag?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #20
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes. You must pack it carefully, but they all fit.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote