Cobb going out of business - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #29

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Great Video! I'd have to make a note card with the steps to remember how to pack it, lol. I will watch for a sale on accessories now. Places might start clearancing them out. Can you get coconut briquettes locally or is this strictly an internet purchase only?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #30

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I bought Charcos from Amazon, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. There is another brand a lot of people use. It comes in a brown box.

I like how the brand I bought comes all neatly stacked in a small box, like a box of blocks. I think they work out cheaper because they burn longer and hotter.

I keep watching for the others.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #31

Melissab, it seems as though accessories are going quickly. I just bought another 2 roasting racks, the most useful of all the accessories. It is also the most used and most likely to show the signs of time. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/view_cart.asp

I found there shipping was the cheapest, by far, and they will honor any cheaper price.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #32

Florida
Thanks Terry! I picked up a roasting rack too
Old 10-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #33

Florida
So glad you posted this site Terry as I got a call from the RV place I ordered my rack from and was told it was out of stock. Hopefully I don't get the same notification from RV Parts Country.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #34

When I ordered mine, they said they had either 34 or 37. I guess there would be 2 less than that, now. I am glad when anyone can get a bargain. terry R
Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #35

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Just bought a new Cobb Cooker on the internet for $129.00 and free shipping. Ebay prices were to high for used ones.
Chuck
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #36
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Watch the terminology: Box or Bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
I think cpaharey is calling, what I call a frying pan, a pizza pan. Easily used as either. The roasting rack is also used a lot. The cutting board makes the perfect place to set the lid, but you can get along fine without it. If you are into having the grill marks, the grill is good, but you can obtain the same results, taste wise, with the fry pan or the grill plate that comes with the basic set.

This video is very helpful if you get the accessories, because it can be real tricky getting everything in that tight little bag. Everything fits but the cutting board.
Cobb grill bag packing - YouTube

I like coconut briquettes for cooking. Clean, long burning, hot, less ash.
Good (helpful) video. Notice at the end he says that's how to pack Kitchen-in-a-Box.

"Kitchen in a Box" is what I received yesterday from Amazon, even though on Amazon, they call it "Kitchen-in-a-Bag." Their KIABag "what's included" photo shows the accessories that came in my KIABox box, so I don't feel it's been totally misrepresented; but I had thought, I guess from reading reviews on other sites(?) that a cookbook would be included. The "instructions" they sent are pretty minimal... although they are printed in a dozen different languages. It looks like a substantive little booklet!

To clarify: the Cobb site lists "Kitchen in a Box" AND "Kitchen in a Bag" - with KIABag having a lot more accessories than KIABox.

Honestly, FWIW, I knew I wasn't getting the cutting board or sample lighters, briquets (Cobblestones?), and other things included in the KIABag. Just disappointed there's no basic little cookbook to help get us started on using the things.

There ARE a few (3 or 4) recipes on the Cobb website... but I'll be looking around here on FiberglassRV.com (and asking questions) for input from those of you who are or will also be using one of these contraptions!

y'all
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Mary,
You can have my cookbook, never used it. I use the Cobb like an electric skillet/crock pot. Slow cooks or grills. Now if I can just find that cookbook. By the way, I bought a case of the briquets, they work the best with the Cobb.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
Administrator

Texas
Registry
Thanks, Jim. Your comments are a help - and I did go back and read the thread where somebody (you?) said the cooker acts as its own charcoal-starting chimney.

I wonder about the freight on their charcoal, with them ceasing NA operations. Surely, surely, surely, they won't be shipping charcoal from South Africa. (Surely!)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Mine came from Florida. You do realize the history behind the Cobb and it's emerging country adaptability to use corn cobs as fuel?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
Administrator

Texas
Registry
I knew they were using them in Africa, but wasn't aware of the corn cob fuel. Great idea if it will work. I know charcoal is not abundant in at least some parts of Africa.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #41

Mary, I also have a Holland Companion grill. I have had it much, much longer than the Cobb. The principal of how to cook on the Cobb is very much the same. If you go to the Holland website and forums, you will find a ton of ideas.

This is a grill that works the best with the lid on, for the cooking time. It keeps the heat inside and allows meats to cook completely while retaining wonderful moistness. You don't even HAVE to flip it.

The more often you remove the lid, the longer it will take and the more charcoal you will end up needing.

You can even bake beautiful bread in the Cobb with a wonderful, golden, crusty crust. I posted a picture of the very first loaf I ever made on it, on this thread, I think.

You will get the hang of it and love it.

Also, if you decide not to go with the disk charcoal and don't order any of the clean burning coconut kind, I have found GFS charcoal to do a much better job than Kingsford. It is much larger chunks and lasts for those bigger roasting jobs.

I did not get a cookbook. I just did a search for Cobb Grill recipes and got the jest of it. There are a lot of videos on youtube, people have put up using the Cobb.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #42

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Mary, send Kathie a PM... she'll share her recipes and "how tos." Wonderful camping next to someone with a Cobb

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote