Cobb going out of business - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Melissa, the accessories are very sturdy. They are nice because you can put the lid on while you cook. The key to cooking with this grill is keeping the heat under that dome lid. The more you look, the less you cook.

The fry pan is a really nice addition for making breakfasts.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks Terry! I was trying to decide which accessories I'd actually use. Wonder how much stock is out there? The fry pan isn't cheap, lol. Not sure the griddle is necessary since it's grooved so you cant do pancakes, eggs etc and the Cobb already comes with a grill rack so seems redundant. I did get the roasting rack. The utensils sure look nice and compact, don't need long typical utensils for this style of grill but didn't see them available anywhere. So anybody want to chime in on what accessories they actually use and what if any they wish they had and what "universal" items they have found works well I'm all ears.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I got the roasting rack, used a lot, griddle is used a lot, teflon coated pizza pan, can be used for pancakes, wooden cutting board, used a lot. I also recommend the round charcoal briquets, better than the other brand for taste.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #24

Jim, do you mean a Cobb Pizza Pan or just any pizza pan? Can you elaborate on when/why you use the grooved griddle instead of the grill plate? Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
The stock grooved grill is used the most, do not know about the grill insert, the flat pizza pan is by Cobb, as are all of these being discussed.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #26

I think cpaharey is calling, what I call a frying pan, a pizza pan. Easily used as either. The roasting rack is also used a lot. The cutting board makes the perfect place to set the lid, but you can get along fine without it. If you are into having the grill marks, the grill is good, but you can obtain the same results, taste wise, with the fry pan or the grill plate that comes with the basic set.

This video is very helpful if you get the accessories, because it can be real tricky getting everything in that tight little bag. Everything fits but the cutting board.

I like coconut briquettes for cooking. Clean, long burning, hot, less ash.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #27

Accessories are a little cheaper here. Search results for: 'Cobb wok' . Everything in the bag for $262.55 here. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Cobb-P...Box-Grill.html
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #28

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
Accessories are a little cheaper here. Search results for: 'Cobb wok' . Everything in the bag for $262.55 here. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Cobb-P...Box-Grill.html
Also keep an eye on Amazon warehouse. Last night the kitchen in the bag was selling for $215. In like new condition. Prices are up today, though
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #29

Great Video! I'd have to make a note card with the steps to remember how to pack it, lol. I will watch for a sale on accessories now. Places might start clearancing them out. Can you get coconut briquettes locally or is this strictly an internet purchase only?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #30

I bought Charcos from Amazon, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. There is another brand a lot of people use. It comes in a brown box.

I like how the brand I bought comes all neatly stacked in a small box, like a box of blocks. I think they work out cheaper because they burn longer and hotter.

I keep watching for the others.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #31

Melissab, it seems as though accessories are going quickly. I just bought another 2 roasting racks, the most useful of all the accessories. It is also the most used and most likely to show the signs of time. http://www.rvpartscountry.com/view_cart.asp

I found there shipping was the cheapest, by far, and they will honor any cheaper price.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #32

Thanks Terry! I picked up a roasting rack too
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #33

So glad you posted this site Terry as I got a call from the RV place I ordered my rack from and was told it was out of stock. Hopefully I don't get the same notification from RV Parts Country.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #34

When I ordered mine, they said they had either 34 or 37. I guess there would be 2 less than that, now. I am glad when anyone can get a bargain. terry R
Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #35

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Just bought a new Cobb Cooker on the internet for $129.00 and free shipping. Ebay prices were to high for used ones.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Watch the terminology: Box or Bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
I think cpaharey is calling, what I call a frying pan, a pizza pan. Easily used as either. The roasting rack is also used a lot. The cutting board makes the perfect place to set the lid, but you can get along fine without it. If you are into having the grill marks, the grill is good, but you can obtain the same results, taste wise, with the fry pan or the grill plate that comes with the basic set.

This video is very helpful if you get the accessories, because it can be real tricky getting everything in that tight little bag. Everything fits but the cutting board.

I like coconut briquettes for cooking. Clean, long burning, hot, less ash.
Good (helpful) video. Notice at the end he says that's how to pack Kitchen-in-a-Box.

"Kitchen in a Box" is what I received yesterday from Amazon, even though on Amazon, they call it "Kitchen-in-a-Bag." Their KIABag "what's included" photo shows the accessories that came in my KIABox box, so I don't feel it's been totally misrepresented; but I had thought, I guess from reading reviews on other sites(?) that a cookbook would be included. The "instructions" they sent are pretty minimal... although they are printed in a dozen different languages. It looks like a substantive little booklet!

To clarify: the Cobb site lists "Kitchen in a Box" AND "Kitchen in a Bag" - with KIABag having a lot more accessories than KIABox.

Honestly, FWIW, I knew I wasn't getting the cutting board or sample lighters, briquets (Cobblestones?), and other things included in the KIABag. Just disappointed there's no basic little cookbook to help get us started on using the things.

There ARE a few (3 or 4) recipes on the Cobb website... but I'll be looking around here on FiberglassRV.com (and asking questions) for input from those of you who are or will also be using one of these contraptions!

y'all
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Registry
Mary,
You can have my cookbook, never used it. I use the Cobb like an electric skillet/crock pot. Slow cooks or grills. Now if I can just find that cookbook. By the way, I bought a case of the briquets, they work the best with the Cobb.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #38
Administrator

Registry
Thanks, Jim. Your comments are a help - and I did go back and read the thread where somebody (you?) said the cooker acts as its own charcoal-starting chimney.

I wonder about the freight on their charcoal, with them ceasing NA operations. Surely, surely, surely, they won't be shipping charcoal from South Africa. (Surely!)
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #39

Pennsylvania
Registry
Mine came from Florida. You do realize the history behind the Cobb and it's emerging country adaptability to use corn cobs as fuel?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #40
Administrator

Registry
I knew they were using them in Africa, but wasn't aware of the corn cob fuel. Great idea if it will work. I know charcoal is not abundant in at least some parts of Africa.
RV Life Network FAQ