Cobb Grill - ONE LEFT! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Cobb Grill - ONE LEFT!

Woot! I just picked up a Cobb Premier grill in the "closeout" section of the Rogers, MN, Camping World for $85! As of noon today, they had ONE left. Does anyone have any good Cobb recipes they'd like to share? Also.. what do you use to start the charcoal?
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
FWIW, I was in Whole Foods the other day and they had coconut charcoal for $6.50 a bag. It's the only time I had seen it in a store. Wal-Mart is where I bought my last fire starter packs. Also line your moat with tin foil and spray Pam on the inside of the dome before using.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Minnesota
Registry
Why coconut?
Old 05-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have not used it yet but it is suppose to burn hotter and work better in a Cobb grill. Cobb sold round coconut charcoal bricks that were made to fit the grill that were suppose to be hotter and last a lot longer but they were a little expensive. Others here have used them. My wife cooked on coconut charcoal all her life and she was excited when she saw the charcoal in the shopping basket she claims it has a better taste.
I have found the Cowboy charcoal works better than the briquettes. A lot of times I have to reload the charcoal when using briquettes.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
For cleaning, I just use a little Bar Keepers Friend, works great. Spraying the dome does the trick for keeping it easy to clean.

Biggest thing with using your Cobb is not to get anxious and keep peeking at your food. Put that lid on there and keep it on there, so it can stay good and hot. Get used to using the clock instead of your eyes. One of those digital thermometers with an alarm can help with that.

Water in the moat equals slower cooking times.

You can bake beautiful artisanal bread, by getting it blazing hot, with the lid on, and very little water in the moat... maybe and ounce, enough to last no longer than 10 min. after the bread is baking. I use the additional rack, and put the bread in a pie tin. Put that lid on and let it go at least 25 min. without looking. At that point, see where it is darkest and rotate you tin for even browning.

With the accessories, I can't think of much you can't cook with the thing, you just can't cook much of it.

I love charcoal made from coconut. Thanks for letting me know about the Whole Foods coconut charcoal. I think it coconut burns so much cleaner, hotter, less taste, and less ash. It is better for the environment also.

I bought a box of Charcos coconut from Amazon, but they no longer sell it. I hope this works as well.

Two Brothers Grillin' now sells Cobb Grills and their accessories, if anyone is interested in one. They have very good customer service. They now have a larger family size Cobb Grill. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
First meal: lamb chops with carrots and potatoes. WOW!

Click the link for a video...

Lamb Chops with Potatoes and Carrots on the Cobb Grill - YouTube
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I use "Strike a Fire" sticks to start my Cobb. $1.99 for an 8 pack (I think) in my grocery store's grillin' section. Check out this article: Wise Men Trading_Firestarters.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #8

Name: Lori
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Thanks Gary I got my Cobb last night!
Loriski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #9

Minnesota
Registry
Sweet, Lori! Well done, young Jedi! You should subscribe to the Facebook group for US Cobb folks. https://www.facebook.com/COBBchefUSA?fref=ts Yeh, it's company run, but it's nice.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would like to be the Go-To person for Cobb Charcoal Grill information. I am a devoted owner. I own two currently. I use them for camping, vacations at motels, and picnicking. I own every accessory, I think. Here's my best advice: (1) never bother with hand washing - wipe it down with paper towels with each use until you get home, then stick everything in the dishwasher and walk away, (2) use Coghlan Fire Sticks (about the size of a cigarette) to light your coal, (3) don't use cheap charcoal or easy-to-ignite coal or lighter fluid, they leave a funny taste in the meat, but plain old Kingsford or the expensive Cowboy stuff does nicely, (4) get the wok accessory so you can cook scrambled eggs when camping YUM, it's my favorite accessory, (5) if you are just going out for a picnic, pack up your coal in individual sandwich bags, including the Fire Stick OR my real preference is to use a Jif empty peanut butter jar, large size (40 oz), (6) get one of those temperature gauges with the long stick that you can stick in the top holes/vents of the cover - if you are cooking and/or smoking for a very long time and the coals go out, the gauge will give you the information, and (7) if you are cooking hot dogs, use three disposable wood skewers and connect the dogs together like a life raft so they don't roll off the convex shaped cooking surface (designed for fat to run off) OR use the accessory Fenced Roasting Rack or the Fry Pan.

What have I cooked? Mostly I've cooked gourmet hamburgers (four at a time), hot dogs, marinated boneless chicken, whole small chickens (with the Fenced Roasting Rack accessory), potatoes with onions in foil in the moat, frozen pizza, bacon and eggs, s'mores, and Jiffy Pop popcorn. I had no success with rice in the moat. The rice was crunchy. My next challenges are to bake a cake and bake a loaf of bread.
Kate Sheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV Kate,
As a Cobb owner/user for past 4 years I find the taste of foods cooked, as one of the best.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #12

Minnesota
Registry
Hi Kate... welcome to the madhouse (bwahahahah!). I'd add to your list a must-have if you're doing roasts and the like: a thermometer with a long cord on it. I use the inexpensive Taylor ones and they work like a champ. The big thing is: DON'T LIFT OFF THE LID while cooking! A thermometer IN the top hole works fine to show you the temperature of the cavity...but it doesn't show you if your food is done. BTW... you can get some interesting temperature adjustments by shoving some aluminum foil in the lid's vent holes.

Tonight I'm going to try making a couscous with mussels and shrimp dish based on a NY Times recipe.