coconut charcoal???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
coconut charcoal????

Has anyone used coconut charcoal? I just ordered a box of Charcos. It is supposed to be one of the best of that sort.

I just ordered one of those Cobb grills when it was on Woot. The Cobb company sells discs made out of coconut shell to use, but I got the impression they didn't burn all that long as these cubes from Charcos.

When I tried the most common briquettes, I did not think they burned long enough and we did not like the flavor.

These things are a lot more expensive but I am hoping, since they say to use half of the amount you would normally use, because they burn very hot, that they will be cheaper in the end. They are supposed to burn a long time and have very little ash or soot. Cleanup should be easier.

What kind of charcoal does everyone else use with their Cobb? Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I purchased the pre-made briquets they sell, made out of bamboo and burn hot, have not tried thither type, yet. The factory kind are octagon shaped.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We use regular briquettes - not instant or self lighting (per Cobb) - you do not want the chemicals or taste in your food. We use firestarters and about 8 - 10 briquettes. Wait until the briquettes are gray and then it will cook for 2 -3 hours (if you use 8 and are cooking a roast you may add a few more along the way.

Took our Cobb to the fall NOG, cooked Salmon, pancakes and eggs, Chicken Divan and a potato breakfast casserole to name a few (have also cooked shish kebabs and pizza on it). The coconut briquettes sound interesting. We love that you can cook on the table (out of the rain). Have fun cooking with yours!

Kathie

PS - If you register your Cobb you get 15% off at the online store (be careful )

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Recieved the Charcos Charcoal

We are very pleased with it. It barely smoked. There was no soot on the lid of the Cobb or even on the backside of the grill plate, or moat. It had no odor and burned much longer and hotter than Kingsford. It was cleaner to use.

Even though it was a great deal more expensive to purchase, we only used 4 cubes to do 3 turkey burgers and a foil package of veggies. In the long run I think the cost will be a wash. Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote