Compleats - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Compleats

I used to buy the Compleats from Hormel for about 2.15 each in Walmart and used them in the Microwave. I decided to ditch the Microwave in favor of a turbo convection oven. In my mind the turbo allowed more flex for things that I could bake, toast etc. No more quick re-heating of coffee or other items though. I then read on the Hormel site that you can boil the Compleats for about 9 minutes in water instead of the Microwave which would make them ideal for camping and in my case keeping the convection oven in the camper.

Anyone tried the boiled Compleats? I know that probably 90% of you all cook real food in their eggs but after driving alone for 8 to 10 hours a day sometimes; I just want to crash and burn and keep it simple. I will buy and try to boil one to test but just curious if others have already done something similar or if they even use those prepared dishes???
Thanks
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I boiled a couple of them when dry camping, and they turned out pretty much the same as when microwaved. Don't worry, it won't ruin them at all.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Cool Compleats

I haven't tried them, and after reading this review I am not sure I would. Hormel's Compleats Breakfast: I can't believe it's not cat food | City Pages

Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 AM   #4

Texas
I cant argue the breakfast meals and the article pretty well nails it to a Tee. My mom says the dinner meals are pretty doggone good. I will have to see if there is a dinner review. thanks for that article.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
They obviously misspelled the name. They forgot the last three letters...HIT!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As most "instant" hot breakfast meals are overloaded with salt and/or sugar. I always go with some combination of Oatmeal, Yogurt and fruit, washed down with Mocha.
(Caffe D'Vita Mocha Cappuccino, 4 lb can=about 60 cups. $10.95 at better COSTCO stores, Item #1396)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #7

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Some of the reviews of Hormel Completes I read online made me snort, but there are clearly enough people interested that they continue to sell. If it makes you happy, it won't kill you any faster than McDonalds.

Take a look at Bear Creek Country soups and pasta packages. All you need to do is boil water and add. I have taken packages and divide them up into single serving units and store in a sandwich bag. Very tasty, especially if I have some leftover chicken or something else in the cooler.

I have also been reading up on the backpacking cookbooks for ideas that are quick and light and don't require refrigeration.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #8

Texas
Thanks for the input. I was not thinking of a main stay diet, just something to throw down the chute if needed. I see that Bertolli has some pasta dishes too. Best spend 2 bucks and try one,
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Hilarious! Gross! I wonder what kind of chemicals it takes to make these products work? Surely there is petroleum in it.

I consider this old body a temple, and I won't submit it to this kind of blasphemy.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
If they don't float in the boiling water, I would consider putting a rack in the bottom of the pan, just in case. Guess, it wouldn't be any more likely to melt than those foods you boil in a bag.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Texas
I doubt if its any worse than eating MREs.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: sunvalley roadrunner fifth wheel
Minnesota
I like to cook, but I work a 12 hour night shift job and when I get home in the morning all I can think of is crashing for the entire day. These meals are quick and I don't have to fuss trying to figure what to take for lunch at work. Lunch break goes fast. There is fruit, veggies soup, Chinese in the frozen food, you name it it's available. I usually buy one and try it first and if I like what it taste like, I buy more.
xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have found that a lot of the "microwave" meals or sides can be heated just as well in a pan on the stove. We use a lot those meals or sides then as a bit of meat and or other seasonings to make a one pot meal. A little imagination goes a long ways.