Cooking on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
I know you old hands already know how to do this, but I just experimented, and it worked, so I had to share the good news.
Following general directions from
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Bread...in-a-pressure-/

I mixed up some tea-bisc mix; put it in a buttered stainless steel bowl;put the bowl on a trivet inside my 6 qt pressure cooker with 1.5 cups water, and 'cooked' it for 15 minutes.
It turned out fine - looked more like a dumpling than bread, but tasted just fine.

Now that I've tried in on my home stove, I'm ready to try it with my Coleman stove, when I'm boondocking this week.

Has anyone else done other 'baking' in a pressure cooker? I'd love to hear your recipes and experience.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Karen,

Quite a few sailors (who, if they are on smaller boats, don't have ovens) use pressure cookers for baking. I have a friend who bakes cakes, yeast bread, and all kinds of other goodies (on a one-burner kerosene stove with a pressure cooker).

If there's something in particular you would fancy making, I could get a recipe

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Thanks Raya for your offer to get a recipe - I don't have anything in particular in mind, so will just look for recipes on-line when I think of something - I was just so pleased that the experiment worked that I had to share the news!
KarenH

Quote:
Hi Karen,

Quite a few sailors (who, if they are on smaller boats, don't have ovens) use pressure cookers for baking. I have a friend who bakes cakes, yeast bread, and all kinds of other goodies (on a one-burner kerosene stove with a pressure cooker).

If there's something in particular you would fancy making, I could get a recipe

Raya
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
I know you old hands already know how to do this, but I just experimented, and it worked, so I had to share the good news.
Following general directions from
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Bread...in-a-pressure-/

I mixed up some tea-bisc mix; put it in a buttered stainless steel bowl;put the bowl on a trivet inside my 6 qt pressure cooker with 1.5 cups water, and 'cooked' it for 15 minutes.
It turned out fine - looked more like a dumpling than bread, but tasted just fine.

Now that I've tried in on my home stove, I'm ready to try it with my Coleman stove, when I'm boondocking this week.

Has anyone else done other 'baking' in a pressure cooker? I'd love to hear your recipes and experience.

Mmmmmm fresh bread this week!!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
While on a wilderness canoe trip with a buddy and our wives, we amazed them by baking a cake with just two pots. Insert one [dry] into the other with a piece of 1/4 inch copper tube twisted into a circle or a triangle as a trivet. If you forget the tubing then you can use three ever present discarded beer caps that are laying around. A small pot-oven of bread baking while the breakfast bacon cooks can be carried in it's pot for the evening meal.
You aren't limited to just bread. Cakes and muffins can also be served up in this fashion. Make an impossible apple pie by placing the ingredients [apples, cinamon, etc] in the bottom and the dough crust on top. When finished, invert the pot to place the pie onto a serving plate. Packages of instant muffin mix work well when baked in this fashion as you would a cake. Using your own make ahead self raising bread mix you can add your own mix of fruit and nuts or cheese to make other dishes.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
This sounds amazing! I presume you put a lid on the pot for baking? How long does it take and was this over a campfire or a camp stove and what temp? I guess you make your doughs and crusts ahead of time and keep them in the cooler?

Thanks! I googled "Pot Oven" and nothing came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
While on a wilderness canoe trip with a buddy and our wives, we amazed them by baking a cake with just two pots. Insert one [dry] into the other with a piece of 1/4 inch copper tube twisted into a circle or a triangle as a trivet. If you forget the tubing then you can use three ever present discarded beer caps that are laying around. A small pot-oven of bread baking while the breakfast bacon cooks can be carried in it's pot for the evening meal.
You aren't limited to just bread. Cakes and muffins can also be served up in this fashion. Make an impossible apple pie by placing the ingredients [apples, cinamon, etc] in the bottom and the dough crust on top. When finished, invert the pot to place the pie onto a serving plate. Packages of instant muffin mix work well when baked in this fashion as you would a cake. Using your own make ahead self raising bread mix you can add your own mix of fruit and nuts or cheese to make other dishes.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
She said Pot Oven, you're lucky nothing came up, could have been Cheech and Chong.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Aliner
Too funny, Greg!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #9

ROFL! I never even thought of that! Ya, nothing weird came up at all thankfully, LOL! I try to be careful about such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
She said Pot Oven, you're lucky nothing came up, could have been Cheech and Chong.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: melissab... You have to be careful "Cooking on the road". Sometimes you can get really run down doing that!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #11

LOL, Ya'll are good!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: melissab... You have to be careful "Cooking on the road". Sometimes you can get really run down doing that!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is an example of a pot oven used on boats.

Omnia Oven: Bake on your stove top. No oven needed, all you need is a stove top - be it gas, electric, propane, butane or alcohol (not for use with induction stoves).
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #13

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Tom,

That Omnia looks pretty slick - have you (or has anyone) tried it?

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I've not used one, just read about it on another forum. I'm a Dutch oven baker.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #15

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
OK - I broke down down and bought an Omnia oven. I really want to bake in the trailer. I tried some cornbread this weekend at the April NOG (to take to the soup potluck) and it worked great! Recipe called for 20 min took about 35 - 40 minutes). It's small and light weight - I love it!

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I've had a Coleman Folding Camp oven for years- works great on top of a gas stove, inside or out. It folds flat for storage, too.

Francesca

Coleman - Camp Oven -
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Karen,

Thanks for the post. I have always carried a pressure cooker which I use frequently but I never thought about baking in it.

I have thought about an oven to use on the stove inside or camp stove outside. I have considered both the Coleman and the Omnia but maybe I should try my pressure cooker.

I do have a toaster/convection oven for when I'm attached to electricity or heaven forbid if I ever were to start the generator and bake.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote