Crock pot chicken,with beans and corn - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp and 1996 Palomino Filly and 1985 Palimino Stallion
  • 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Frozen
  • 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
  • 1 (15 ounce) can corn
  • 1 (15 ounce) jar salsa, any kind
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
Put chicken, beans, corn and salsa in crock pot.
Cook on high 4-5 hours until chicken is cooked through.
Cube cream cheese and put on top and cook for 1/2 to 1 hour more.
Serve with rice or pasta.

I used bone-in thighs and drumsticks (frozen) and cook all day(~6-8 hours on low).
Yummy!
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Georgana, for this great sounding recipe. We recently acquired a tiny slow-cooker, so if I halve the recipe it should be perfect for the 2 of us. Ummm, gotta go shopping now! LdB
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp and 1996 Palomino Filly and 1985 Palimino Stallion
Leslie,
I've made it several times and has yet to fail! I also make nacho's in the dutch oven and you could use the extra salsa for that! Yike's, if it wasn't so early I'd do it in the microwave now!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Georgana,
Just a note to thank you for sharing your recipe...........I just made it for supper tonight and it was GREAT! I did, however, make it in a skillet. Can't wait to have leftovers tomorrow! Thanks again, chris
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #5

Glad you liked it. It's super easy, cheap, and makes a lot.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
All I can say is wow! wow!! wow!!! wow!!!! We set it up yesterday morning and let it simmer all day and it was fantastic. We love recipes that are just a can of this and a jar of that. Well done Georgana, thanks for sharing.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Is everyone draining the corn and beans before adding? I'm not fond of canned corn and wonder how frozen will work. The water in the corn would have sodium if one is trying to cut back on sodium.

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Nancy,
Yes, I did drain the corn for mine. I did not drain the black beans since they are in some sort of "sauce". I have found that medium salsa is best for my liking. Thanks again Georgana for the recipe.........have made it a few times and have passed it along to family and friends too.
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #9

So glad you liked it! I use shoepeg corn and there is not a lot of liquid in the can so I imagine draining it would work as well. I'm always on the look out for inexpensive (cheap) meals that are easy to fix. We use the hot salsa and find it to be more spicey than hot, nothing a can of jalapenos won't fix! This works when the kids are all here for dinner. Three grown daughers, one 6' 16 year old son, and one 6'4" son in law can devastate a dinner table!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Georgana,

Thank-you for a great recipe!! I tried this the other day after getting a great deal on Chicken at our grocery store..

This will certainly be on our camping menu!! I made it exactly how you wrote it (too afraid to be experimental on my first attempt). ONLY thing we added different, and that's after my husband went back for 2nd's was a few shakes of "Lousiana Hot Sauce". Seemed to give it that "umph" we like! I made rice to pour the sauce over, and we ate it out of bowls (trying to re-create the sitting around the campfire eating environment). Maybe next time we'll try pouring it over noodles?

Thanks soooo much for adding this recipe to the forum...I run out of ideas for dinner camping and at home and this one is a keeper!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I tried this recipe last night, and it was a hit. The wife and I both enjoyed it and my Grandson was over didn't like the looks of it but had seconds. So I'll be cooking this on the next outing I'm sure. Thanks
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
I too was surprised at how good this turned out, even though I used only a half of the Philly Cream Cheese, and I used the 'Lite' variety.
I may modify this by pressure cooking the chicken separately, then adding the beans, corn and salsa and heating it up before adding the Philly cheese.
That way I can use my 'very cool' (in appearance, not temp!) GSI Hard Anodized Pressure Cooker and cut the cooking time to a half hour or so!
Very nice recipe, thanks, and very open to add-ins, like mushrooms, hot sauce, onions, garlic, etc.
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #13

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Georgana,

Simple and simply yummy! I drained both the corn and black beans. Using a nice chunky mild salsa provided plenty of moisture and the addition of 1/2 C chopped cilantro and 1 Tbs southwest chipotle hot sauce gave it some unique flavors to "keep 'em guessing". I selected non frozen chicken breasts and lightly seasoned them with garlic salt & pepper

Just had to do the looooong sloooooow low temp 8hr cook so we could enjoy the aroma!

Dicing the chicken would make this one a great pot luck addition . . . Thanks again
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Georgana! Since we're parked here at daughter's place, I recently had an opportunity to serve this and boy, was it a hit! In answer to some of the questions:

I used frozen corn - worked fine; prefer that over canned
I drained and rinsed the beans, but saved some of the 'bean juice' to return to the pot
I also used a reduced amount of cream cheese (a matter of taste)

For us this recipe is definitely a keeper! Thanx again for sharing - L 'n D