Crock Pot Curry - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Crock Pot Curry

I picked up a fairly small crock pot at the thrift store before I left, without much idea of what I would do with it, beyond my favorite black beans concoction. But I spent the weekend in Prince Edward Island and I knew the weather would turn nasty, so no outdoor cooking, and I needed to come up with something and the crock pot seemed like a natural idea.

So, I took one bottle of coconut curry sauce (had to go to the Natural Foods section of the store to find a vegetarian curry) and I put that in my little crock pot with two small potatoes (cubed), half an onion (cut roughly in thick slices), half a can of chickpeas, and half a can of peas and carrots. Let it go until the potatoes were done and then I pulled out my induction cooktop and cast iron pot and cooked up some pasta (yes, I know I mixed my culinary metaphors, but I'm really bad at rice) to go with it. It was spectactularly scrumptious, just the thing for a windy, rainy mess of weather.

I had the leftovers for dinner tonight and they were just as good the second day.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Sounds great.
A couple of hints, there are a lot of premade sauces in the international sections. A lot of Indian food is vegatarian. Once you get the hang of it, rice is easier than pasta. Get someone that can do rice to show you how. There are small rice cookers that will double as your crock pot.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #3

Is it the Thai curries, then, that have the fish sauce, not the Indian ones?

I would love to be able to get the hang of rice--it would indeed make my life easier.

Mostly my Scamping food consists of packet dinners of potatoes/onions/carrots/whatever cooked over my campfire coals, so the addition of a crock pot (or any indoor cooking) is new to me.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sounds good, I am all about crock pot cooking. That said, I do take issue with the "little" pot, and "half" this and "small" that. I run a BIG pot, and cook enough (Sundays usually) for lunches/dinners for several days. To be honest, I end up freezing or getting sick of it a lot of times. I need to look around for a smaller crock for the Scamp. I found a cheap toaster the other day at a yard sale and stuck it in the trailer. My daugther was sure surpised a couple of weeks ago when we were camping and she wanted toast. She said, "I would have toast if we had a toaster". I opened a cabinet door to reveal the toaster and Dad was a hero. It is getting harder to impress my kid but I manage it every once and a while.

How about letting us in your "black bean concoction"?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

Of course! I must have posted it elsewhere. I'll say that I'm fairly lucky in that I don't often get sick of eating the same thing a few days in a row. Definitely a plus when one is solo at home as well as on the road. It's sometimes very hard to make portions for one, so leftovers (especially when you're driving all day and arrive exhausted) is a plus. Also, as I'm on this glorious Nova Scotia trip right now, a vegetarian could starve in the Maritimes...

The black beans are just about my favorite thing in the world when I'm home, because I can make huevos rancheros out of them, I can take the immersion blender to it and have soup, add it to rice--you name it.

Here's the full Crock Pot recipe:

4 cans black beans, rinsed
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (lime and cilantro, not drained)
1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
1 pkg frozen corn, defrosted and drained
fresh cilantro, one bunch, coarsely chopped
garlic
cumin
more heat if you want it

This pretty much fills up my big crock pot at home and one thing I've learned about it is that you need to drain the large can of tomatoes and the corn well, because otherwise you end up with too much liquid. I used to just toss the frozen package of corn in there, but now I defrost it, so I can drain it. For some, the spice in the Rotel tomatoes is enough--I'm a big fan of Paul's Gunpowder, for more heat. I put the cilantro in at the end--but I suppose you could use dry as well.

My little Pot is something like one can of black beans, one can Rotel tomatoes, one can corn, cilantro, etc.

Another thing I've learned on this trip is that Mexican food is difficult to find in Canada, so were I to do this trip again, I'd stock up on corn tortillas and Rotel tomatoes before I left.

We've got Maritime weather here right now, which means no campfires to cook on, so I'm glad for other options. I also could not live without my microwave, which is great for my oatmeal in the morning (I made individual packets of instant oatmeal for the trip) as well as using my Spud Sack to microwave myself a baked potato. I like the variety of options.

-k
Old 06-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
And for dessert: Slow-Cooker Recipe: Very Chocolate Brownies - 12 Tomatoes (If you don't have a microwave, melt the chocolate in a pot).
Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Whoaaaa. That looks awesome.

As it is, I'm doing the cake in a mug. One box angel food cake mix, one box of your flavor choice (I chose triple chocolate fudge), and stir them together. 3 T of the mix, 2T water, 1 minute in the microwave. Spectacular. I've got that divided up into snack size baggies too.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Taste Test: Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces | Serious Eats
Attached Thumbnails
20140116-campbells-slow-cooker-taste-test-02.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #9

Virginia
I think we might need several crock pots - too many good things to cook in them. Here's fresh bread to go with saucy entrees: Crock Pot Bread Baking (Fast Bread in a Slow Cooker) | Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
Old 06-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I made the bread but was not impressed. Too many variables but if you only had a crock pot then it would work. I too had to put the bread in my oven broiler otherwise the top was wet from the condensation on the lid interior. The bread tasted fine however. Being round does limit what it can be used for. JMO
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #11

Virginia
This just came up on Facebook: Slow cooker sweets: best dessert recipes - Best Recipes
Old 05-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #12

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen B. View Post
Is it the Thai curries, then, that have the fish sauce, not the Indian ones?

I would love to be able to get the hang of rice--it would indeed make my life easier.

Mostly my Scamping food consists of packet dinners of potatoes/onions/carrots/whatever cooked over my campfire coals, so the addition of a crock pot (or any indoor cooking) is new to me.

Put your rice into the pot you want to use and put your water and salt in. Add enough water that when you put your finger into it to touch the rice it comes up to the knuckle. When all the water boils out, rinse your rice off in a collinder under hot water and it falls all apart. oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thai food!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #13

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen B. View Post
Of course! I must have posted it elsewhere. I'll say that I'm fairly lucky in that I don't often get sick of eating the same thing a few days in a row. Definitely a plus when one is solo at home as well as on the road. It's sometimes very hard to make portions for one, so leftovers (especially when you're driving all day and arrive exhausted) is a plus. Also, as I'm on this glorious Nova Scotia trip right now, a vegetarian could starve in the Maritimes...

The black beans are just about my favorite thing in the world when I'm home, because I can make huevos rancheros out of them, I can take the immersion blender to it and have soup, add it to rice--you name it.

Here's the full Crock Pot recipe:

4 cans black beans, rinsed
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (lime and cilantro, not drained)
1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
1 pkg frozen corn, defrosted and drained
fresh cilantro, one bunch, coarsely chopped
garlic
cumin
more heat if you want it

This pretty much fills up my big crock pot at home and one thing I've learned about it is that you need to drain the large can of tomatoes and the corn well, because otherwise you end up with too much liquid. I used to just toss the frozen package of corn in there, but now I defrost it, so I can drain it. For some, the spice in the Rotel tomatoes is enough--I'm a big fan of Paul's Gunpowder, for more heat. I put the cilantro in at the end--but I suppose you could use dry as well.

My little Pot is something like one can of black beans, one can Rotel tomatoes, one can corn, cilantro, etc.

Another thing I've learned on this trip is that Mexican food is difficult to find in Canada, so were I to do this trip again, I'd stock up on corn tortillas and Rotel tomatoes before I left.

We've got Maritime weather here right now, which means no campfires to cook on, so I'm glad for other options. I also could not live without my microwave, which is great for my oatmeal in the morning (I made individual packets of instant oatmeal for the trip) as well as using my Spud Sack to microwave myself a baked potato. I like the variety of options.

-k

Oh my goodness I've already eaten and now I am hungry again. ;-) That sounds AWESOME! I love stuff like this and will surely give this one a try. I can my own black beans or dry beans of any kind really. Someone posted a recipe for some corn stuff with Fritos on here somewhere and I tried it and I have made it 3 times in less than a month. lol we all loved the stuff! I can't remember what it was called.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote