Crock pot liners in a Dutch oven? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I prefer the rolls to sheets so that I can cut to size, but I love the convenience of the Dutch oven liners, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Walt
Old 06-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My wife says that tomatoes' acidity (in lasagna or whatnot) will eat at the aluminum and pit it, which means it's getting dissolved into the food. Not good! So you are very wise to use the parchment paper if aluminum is involved.

Of course, one also absorbs aluminum if one uses anti-perspirant (we just use deodorant).

I'm remembering the 'hobo dinner' method of campfire cooking... wrapping the food in foil and placing in the fire... and realizing how ill-advised that method may have been. Do you think parchment paper would survive the heat if it were placed between the food and the foil in that situation? Also, I'm wondering how parchment paper would hold up if used in a situation where the food must be stirred frequently, like in a frying pan?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Let's see. Swanson's pot pies and all those other dinners in the frozen food section at the market, what shall we do with those?
Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #24

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My wife says that tomatoes' acidity (in lasagna or whatnot) will eat at the aluminum and pit it, which means it's getting dissolved into the food. Not good! So you are very wise to use the parchment paper if aluminum is involved.

Of course, one also absorbs aluminum if one uses anti-perspirant (we just use deodorant).

I'm remembering the 'hobo dinner' method of campfire cooking... wrapping the food in foil and placing in the fire... and realizing how ill-advised that method may have been. Do you think parchment paper would survive the heat if it were placed between the food and the foil in that situation? Also, I'm wondering how parchment paper would hold up if used in a situation where the food must be stirred frequently, like in a frying pan?
Yep, it's true. There's no antiperspirant without aluminum. But you can adapt and get by with deodorant. (Now we're veering dangerously OT, BUT, someone mentioned in another thread that talc is related to ovarian cancer. Actually, I believe it's related to cervical cancer. SO, I have been making my own body powder for several years out of cornstarch, arrowroot powder, and baking soda. Add THIS to deodorant, and antiperspirant becomes irrelevant.)

Yes, I think that hobo dinner is deadly. I have done some little packet dinners which called for aluminum foil packets, and I HAVE wrapped them in parchment paper first, and it held up just fine.

I haven't (and probably wouldn't) try parchment paper in a frying pan. If stuff has to be stirred, I use cast iron or good stainless steel (the kind a magnet will actually stick to). Yep, some stuff you just gotta wash.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #25

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Let's see. Swanson's pot pies and all those other dinners in the frozen food section at the market, what shall we do with those?
Well, you could always turn those out also (in their frozen state) and line them with parchment paper as well.

This doesn't even address the toxins that come out of those plastic trays some frozen stuff comes in. Yeah, that's not good either. Sometimes I DO get those for one reason or another and do pop them out into little glass casseroles, etc. And, full disclosure, sometimes I do cook in the plastic, but I know it's bad, wrong, and I will be punished. There's only so much self-preservation we can muster.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What about the toxins in cast iron, stainless steel and glass? And, what about air?
We never hear about those.
What about toxins in parchment paper?
Old 06-19-2016, 07:59 PM   #27

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What about the toxins in cast iron, stainless steel and glass? And, what about air?
We never hear about those.
What about toxins in parchment paper?
Goodness. SOMEONE IS a worrywort! I can't speak for toxins in the air, because I believe that varies based on locale. As for the other items in your list, there is little to worry about. Except for "cheap" stainless steel, which has some other metals that aren't so great.

What about the toxins caused by worry?

Maybe just clear out the aluminum and take a chill pill?