DO baking on Coleman stove? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #21

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
I've baked cookies over a coleman lantern (poor college student). Just took a bit longer for them to get done.

Mon

!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've used a 12" Dutch Oven on a Volcano Grill with the propane burner. They have a heat resistant cover that helps even out the temperature. While I haven't got a lot of experience with the combination, I've baked frozen burritos, biscuits, and blueberry pies.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #23

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiskett View Post
When I bake biscuits in a DO on a gas stove I heat the lid on one burner and the pot on another get the lid super hot, put the biscuits in the pot than put the lid on. It works!
If you had two pots the same size, you could heat a spare lid and switch out when one cooled.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Pics from last week's trip to Smokemont in Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Coleman stove with Coleman oven - both dating back to my college days in the sixties. Just wish I still worked even half this well.

Used the Cobb to smoke a pork loin one afternoon

And enjoyed this view behind the camper for every meal
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #25

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Pics from last week's trip to Smokemont in Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Coleman stove with Coleman oven - both dating back to my college days in the sixties. Just wish I still worked even half this well.

Used the Cobb to smoke a pork loin one afternoon

And enjoyed this view behind the camper for every meal
OMG, those views are incredible. Am getting more and more interested in a Cobb! (Your campsite setup looks great, BTW)
Old 08-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #26

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
OMG, those views are incredible. Am getting more and more interested in a Cobb! (Your campsite setup looks great, BTW)
BTW, what were you baking in your Coleman oven????
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #27

Thanks for the compliments. The GSMNP Smokemont Campground is located on the Bradley Fork of the Oconaluftee River and we were lucky enough to have a waterfront site for seven days.

I'm the designated breakfast cook but my oven skills are pretty much limited to toast, rolls, biscuits, buns etc. The bread in that particular shot was probably cinnamon rolls. Cindy, on the other hand, can do as well with the Coleman as she can with her oven at home (confirmed by my growing waistline). At around $25, the Coleman Oven is a good addition to the kitchen gear and it works as well on a propane stove as the old liquid fuel models.

Since you're the original poster and seem to like the area, I guess it wouldn't be too much if a hijack to add a couple more photos from the trip.

We had an otter family, two adults and four pups, that sometimes played directly behind our site

And Elk were abundant in the meadows
Old 09-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #28

Name: Glen
Trailer: Coachmen
California
On my little stove I cook pizza with the Pronto Stovetop
http://goo.gl/bCD0k6
Relatively small pizzas but well baked and fast.
glamfib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #29

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Thanks for the compliments. The GSMNP Smokemont Campground is located on the Bradley Fork of the Oconaluftee River and we were lucky enough to have a waterfront site for seven days.

I'm the designated breakfast cook but my oven skills are pretty much limited to toast, rolls, biscuits, buns etc. The bread in that particular shot was probably cinnamon rolls. Cindy, on the other hand, can do as well with the Coleman as she can with her oven at home (confirmed by my growing waistline). At around $25, the Coleman Oven is a good addition to the kitchen gear and it works as well on a propane stove as the old liquid fuel models.

Since you're the original poster and seem to like the area, I guess it wouldn't be too much if a hijack to add a couple more photos from the trip.

We had an otter family, two adults and four pups, that sometimes played directly behind our site

And Elk were abundant in the meadows

OMG! What a great location (and baked goods too)!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #30

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamfib View Post
On my little stove I cook pizza with the Pronto Stovetop
http://goo.gl/bCD0k6
Relatively small pizzas but well baked and fast.
That's an amazing (although pricey) little gadget! I bet you could bake cookies in that?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Thanks for the pics Al and Cindy, Smokemont is one of the first places I want to take our Casita. I like elk watching, but the otters were a bonus!
Old 09-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #32

Name: Glen
Trailer: Coachmen
California
Quote:
That's an amazing (although pricey) little gadget! I bet you could bake cookies in that?
Yes, pricey, bake pretty well though. And Indeed ! I need to try baking cookies. Should have thought about that
Thanks for the suggestion, will let you know.
glamfib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #33

CA
BROWNIES!

Well, we are back from our trip, and I managed to bake brownies in my DO!

I used a Duncan Hines mix, and used half the box, with half the other ingredients. I hadn't packed oil, so melted butter in a little stainless bowl (inside the DO). Beat the egg and water with a whisk, and then whisked some into the butter before adding it all back into the egg/water (don't need scrambled egg brownies). Then stirred in the mix.

Martha Stewart put out a product I thought would be perfect for this test (although I don't know if it's still available). This is a parchment paper/aluminum foil combo, all in one. So I lined my steamer basket with the MS concoction, parchment side out, and gave it a spray with "Pam." Baked the brownies for 30 minutes, and SUCCESS!

I checked once or twice during the baking process, and noticed the pot was very steamy inside. And the brownies seemed to be half baked, half steamed. So, should the lid have a tiny gap to let out some steam? Is there another trick that might help?

Otherwise, this process seemed to work, and the aroma floated out a bit causing nearby noses to lift and sniff with interest. So, we shared!
Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Better living through chemistry.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #35

CA
Parchment/foil combo

Can be found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/710-Wrap--Alu...parchment+foil

$10
Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #36

Quote:
............................ and the aroma floated out a bit causing nearby noses to lift and sniff with interest. So, we shared!
Definitely a great way to meet fellow campers. We usually invite any neighbors over whenever we're making a dessert in the DO and that's led to a number of lasting friendships over the years.

Glad it worked out and thanks for a new idea for the DO.

Al
Old 09-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #37

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I guess that would be stronger than plain parchment but plain parchment seems to work fine. I made crabby Mac and cheese last night in the DO and then moved the leftovers to a smaller pot just by picking up the parchment edges- it held up fine. I sure appreciate the parchment, though, thanks to whoever suggested it. It makes cleanup much easier- I just wiped moisture from the DO and re-oiled it.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #38

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I guess that would be stronger than plain parchment but plain parchment seems to work fine. I made crabby Mac and cheese last night in the DO and then moved the leftovers to a smaller pot just by picking up the parchment edges- it held up fine. I sure appreciate the parchment, though, thanks to whoever suggested it. It makes cleanup much easier- I just wiped moisture from the DO and re-oiled it.
I agree, parchment is wonderful! I am just using the foil-backed stuff because right now the only little "pan" I have that fits inside the DO is a steamer basket... Full of holes. I didn't want to risk a leak while baking this very valuable recipe!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #39

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
DO baking on Coleman stove?

I use a Weber Go-Anywhere charcoal grill to grill, smoke, and bake.
To smoke I put the charcoal on one side of the grill and the meats on the other. Open the bottom vents on the side of the charcoal and close the vents on the cooking side. Close the vents on the lid over the fire and open the vents on the cooking side. It takes about an hour to smoke most meats like chicken legs, ribs, and pork tenderloins. I've cooked 1/4 of Boston Butt for three hours with good results. Just add charcoal every hour or so. Mix with BBQ sauce and you have pulled pork.
I bake by taking out the top cooking grill and putting the charcoal on one side of the charcoal grill and the pot on the other. I bought my pot at Wallyworld in the camping department. It's stainless and comes with a net bag to store it. Just grease the pan, pour 1/2 a cup of water in the bag, mix, and cook for 50 minutes. Wait for 5 minutes, use a knife to cut between the cake and the pot, then just turn it upside down. I like to use the Betty Crocker mixes. They're small, simple, low priced and all you need is water. I also have a grill and pan I got from an old toaster oven. They also sell a nice children's stainless cookware set that fits great in the grill. For biscuits I put the fire on one side and foil half of the main cooking grill. Then I put four small balls of foil to hold up the toaster oven grill. I put the biscuits on the toaster oven grill. 30+- minutes later they're cooked.
To light the grill I use the Weber wax cubes and a small chimney for the charcoal. The Weber cubes come 24 to a box and can be use to light any fire. I don't like carrying liquid charcoal starter. It's also less expensive.
I found a gym bag for $20 with side pockets where I carry the grill and all the accessories. I put the charcoal in old gallon bags inside the grill and around the spaces in the gym bag.
Hope this helps,
Marky
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476570034.044182.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	100623Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476570049.902065.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	100624Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476570074.620099.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	100625Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476570258.229808.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	100626

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #40

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
I found some others with better ratings. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...parchment+foil

I'm delighted to read about your on the road baking accomplishments. I, too, have wondered about baking (for two) while on the road. So far, I've been very pleased with purchasing 3 freshly baked cookies for 99 cents at the AM/PM stores at ARCO gas stations along the road. There is nothing like the smell of "trailer-baked" goods, though.

Right now it's raining in California...perfect weather for baking. I'm making pumpkin cookies and DH is making Sachertorte. Yummmmmm.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote