DO baking on Coleman stove? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #41

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I use the baking sheets that are precut and come in a box (Reynolds) and love them. I lined the DO with two and made Mac and Cheese and man, did that make cleanup easy. The actual DO liner would have been slightly easier but more expensive. I love them for baking, can't believe I went years without using parchment for cookies. It makes doing multiple batches so incredibly easy.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #42

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I use a set of nesting pots and pans in the trailer. I'm wondering if the flat frying pan in the lower part of my photo might work for cakes/breads? My DH bakes round loaves of sourdough bread almost every Sunday by lining a heavy home Dutch oven with parchment. It works like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 007.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 008.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #43

California
Registry
My "go to" place for cooking in a trailer is The Boat Galley. Baking on a Boat. You may find this thread on baking to be of interest.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd put some paper towel between that pot and what looks like a non-stick fry pan.
I picked up some cheap reusable grocery bags and put my non-stick pans in their individual bags.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #45

California
Registry
My last response on this thread mentioned The Boat Galley. In her website she talks about baking on the stovetop using an Omnia Oven. It's fascinating to read about all the things you can bake including this pizza pull-apart bread. Actually, it looks like they used a conventional oven with a bundt cake mold. https://youtu.be/8EyZc6rSbnM

Come to think of it, I wonder if we could jury-rig a DIY Omnia Oven using a bundt pan, stovetop ring and a pot lid? It's worth a try.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #46

California
Registry
What do you know, a clever backpacker has already come up with a lightweight DIY Omnia oven! See it at https://j2tilghman.wordpress.com/201...kpacking-oven/.

"This past weekend I field-tested my knockoff of the Omnia oven, also known as a wonder pot. I had tried this setup at home on my kitchen stove, but I wanted to try it outdoors, too, so I took it on the canoe trip to find out how it would perform. It worked great, in my humble opinion.
This lightweight backpacking oven consists of a heat diffuser (with removable handle from Harold Import Company, also known as a flame tamer, about $7), an aluminum ring mold (which I picked up at a local thrift store for $2), and a round foil pan (three for $1 at Dollar Tree, although you could probably get one for free if you save a take-out container)."

Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #47

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I use a set of nesting pots and pans in the trailer. I'm wondering if the flat frying pan in the lower part of my photo might work for cakes/breads? My DH bakes round loaves of sourdough bread almost every Sunday by lining a heavy home Dutch oven with parchment. It works like a dream.
The problem with a flat frying pan would be getting enough heat on the sides and top. With the DO and charcoal you are able to heat the lid as well as the bottom of the pot (which effectively heats the sides) but with a traditional frying pan (even with a top) if you can't add heat to the top or retain heat in it you probably can't bake more than flatbreads.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #48

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I found some others with better ratings. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...parchment+foil

I'm delighted to read about your on the road baking accomplishments. I, too, have wondered about baking (for two) while on the road. So far, I've been very pleased with purchasing 3 freshly baked cookies for 99 cents at the AM/PM stores at ARCO gas stations along the road. There is nothing like the smell of "trailer-baked" goods, though.

Right now it's raining in California...perfect weather for baking. I'm making pumpkin cookies and DH is making Sachertorte. Yummmmmm.
Yes, it's (was) raining in my neck of California too. I'd love a freshly baked cookie at the moment, but am busy sneezing and blowing my nose. Maybe the DH will bring me some soup...
Old 10-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #49

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
Coleman camp oven

We use ours on a 2 burner stove and have fixed cornbread, muffins, cookies, and casseroles in it. To help keep the heat distributed evenly, I place a small soapstone tile in the bottom. It retains the heat and I turn off the propane a little early to let the soapstone finish things out. Also, a key to success is to refrain from opening the door to peek in very often, and keep pans 9" in diameter max. I have found the Nordicware set for toaster ovens useful as well as some vintage Pyrex.
We also cook with a Dutch Oven, but use our Volcano grill for that with the domed lid. If you aren't familiar with it, it has 3 fuel options (charcoal, propane, wood) which takes care of most camping scenarios for us.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #50

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1477313141.830829.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	100752
This is our outdoor kitchen.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1477313217.395006.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	100753
Cook centre a new coleman bake oven
Score!
This is a 1965 stove found on a shelf in my in-laws basement that they had used for one week and then packed it away. The oven was a yard sale find still in the original box. The stand was in a pile marked "free stuff" at the end of a driveway.
Oh, the smell of fresh bread wafting through camp in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #51

Missouri
Awesome outdoor kitchen!

Thanks for posting your pictures! I have been keeping my utensils in a coffee can but your storage box is so amazing that I think my hubby may have to make me one! Plus an awesome score on that Coleman oven!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #52

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
Coleman Oven

I bought a new Coleman folding oven, last year, on Amazon. It works great. When baking muffins I just place a double thickness of Aluminium foil below the pan. Keeps the bottom of the muffins from getting too dark. The only challenge is regulating the flame manually to maintain the proper temp. (375 degrees I think!)
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #53

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmccracken View Post
I bought a new Coleman folding oven, last year, on Amazon. It works great. When baking muffins I just place a double thickness of Aluminium foil below the pan. Keeps the bottom of the muffins from getting too dark. The only challenge is regulating the flame manually to maintain the proper temp. (375 degrees I think!)
I've just used my folding oven once, at the rally in Quincy. It's clear that what you recommend is wise... when I maintained the required temp for the recommended time, the corn muffins were quite burnt on the bottom. Quite a *fail* for the potluck! I also think some kind of insulating wrap or blanket (fireproof) over the top of the oven would help retain the existing heat so less heat from below is required to maintain temp.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #54

Missouri
Holding heat in Coleman oven

On a couple of chilly mornings in Colorado, I tossed a silicone baking sheet on top of the oven to hold heat in along with my soapstone in the bottom to disseminate lower heat. Worked great for biscuits, and I usually turn off the heat early and let the soapstone heat finish out the baking. It took care of my tendency to burn the bottoms! I also use an infrared temperature gun to check the oven, my thermometer is close but not perfect. I think you could wrap the sides with foil to help, too, I just never have done so yet.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #55

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
James, that's a great looking setup you have. How does the table attach to the trailer?

If that stove is a Coleman, it may be older than you think. My expertise here, especially if it's possibly Canadian in origin, is limited but I've only seen that round tank on earlier models. If you want more info, these folks could probably provide it quickly if you posted the pic in the "Just bull" section. Coleman Collectors Forum

Apologies for the hijack - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
James, that's a great looking setup you have. How does the table attach to the trailer?

If that stove is a Coleman, it may be older than you think. My expertise here, especially if it's possibly Canadian in origin, is limited but I've only seen that round tank on earlier models. If you want more info, these folks could probably provide it quickly if you posted the pic in the "Just bull" section. Coleman Collectors Forum

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1477516774.490492.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	100821
Table rail and electrical outlet came with the Boler to allow you to cook outdoors. With a permanent bed we added the outside access. The opening is large enough to pack away the stove.
My interest is piqued. I'm still checking out the stove.
Jim

Old 10-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post

Stove is indeed made in Canada. It is a modelNo. 411 manufactured after WWII UNTIL 1965. The red tank came out n 1966
. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1477519869.161005.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	100822
Under the tabs on the tank is the manufacture date of 1964. The date of June 1965 on the carton is the shipping date to the local hardware store. Hope this helps.
Jim

Old 10-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #58

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Jim, thanks for the info on both the table and the stove. I use a Coleman Camp Kitchen from the eighties for my cooking set up and it works pretty well but I think you have more counter space.

My stove is a 1961 413F and it's still going strong (pics earlier in this thread) but I really like the looks of yours.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #59

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Another guy with a fine, vintage Coleman stove that gets used all the time. I've got a 1965 US-made 413G.

After reading this thread, I think I'll pick up one of those folding Coleman ovens the next time I see one. It'd be nice to have properly baked biscuits. Seems like any old piece of stone/steel/whatever in the bottom should make an effective heat sink for the burner to equalize the heating.

Likewise, I'll have to see about some insulation for the top - probably just a silicone mat of proper size, as they're generally good to 400+ deg F.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #60

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
Another guy with a fine, vintage Coleman stove that gets used all the time. I've got a 1965 US-made 413G.

After reading this thread, I think I'll pick up one of those folding Coleman ovens the next time I see one. It'd be nice to have properly baked biscuits. Seems like any old piece of stone/steel/whatever in the bottom should make an effective heat sink for the burner to equalize the heating.

Likewise, I'll have to see about some insulation for the top - probably just a silicone mat of proper size, as they're generally good to 400+ deg F.
I'm also interested in using some of this insulating stuff (I may have posted this photo earlier in this thread): [IMG][/IMG]
This is an enamel pot of warm water sitting on top of my dutch oven while it's baking brownies. The bubble wrap foil stuff insulated the pot and kept the water very warm for hours (very handy to have for washing up, etc., we don't have a water heater right now).

I'd like to try draping the oven with this stuff, but think there should be some kind of fabric (like that quilted silver stuff used for potholders) between this and the stove. I understand the silicone is heat-proof to 400 degrees, but does it really insulate? Ideas?