DO baking on Coleman stove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
DO baking on Coleman stove?

Hello,

Has anyone had luck *baking* in a DO over a Coleman stove? I can't do charcoal this trip, but would love to try some baking recipes. I do have a good setup for suspending a pan inside the DO for air circulation... I just don't have a way of doing coals on the lid...
Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There is this dome thing you can buy that is supposed to make it like a Dutch oven. https://smile.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-D...tch+oven+cover I haven't actually tried one, though.

I'd be more inclined to try this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
There is this dome thing you can buy that is supposed to make it like a Dutch oven. https://smile.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-D...tch+oven+cover I haven't actually tried one, though.

I'd be more inclined to try this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Well...! Thanks for posting that second link to the oven. It's now in my Amazon cart, waiting for purchase. What a great little device!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #4

Registry
Let me know how it works. I think we are actually allowed charcoal this year but in case it gets banned I'd like to know.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

CA
I actually have this little Coleman oven, but haven't tried it yet. Have been dying to do something in my dutch oven, but the Coleman oven may be the choice this time. If I get something baked, I'll report back
Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I actually have this little Coleman oven, but haven't tried it yet. Have been dying to do something in my dutch oven, but the Coleman oven may be the choice this time. If I get something baked, I'll report back
Oh yes! Please do! I can't wait to try it!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have the Coleman oven. Weighs 7 pounds so I'm not keen to carry it around considering I've only used it to reheat pulled pork.
On my butane stove, I couldn't keep the temp below 350 F. Using it on my BBQ, I could get the heat down to 225 F. You can just use a BBQ as an oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman oven.png   chicken napoleon - 1.jpg  

Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Baking can be done in almost any metal container which has a lid. A Dutch oven will bake with only heat from below, but it will take longer to finish. If you want to bake something small, there are numerous videos on Youtube that are meant for backpackers. Search "dry baking" and see how it works. I have had success baking in an Imuse pot (sold by Walmart as a grease dispenser) with a 4" x 2" pan inside. I put this on a home burner set on low flame. The 4" round pan will bake 1/2 of a muffin mix. That's just right for 2 people.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A proper Dutch oven has a concave lid so coals can be piled on top, providing heat from above and below.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #10

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
Try these searches... "omnia oven", and "Stovetop tandoor" . The omnia is a revamped version of the Israeli "Wonderpot". All of these devices will work on a gas cooktop. I have the tandoor... it will do everything from chicken to cupcakes, indoors or outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
Try these searches... "omnia oven", and "Stovetop tandoor" . The omnia is a revamped version of the Israeli "Wonderpot". All of these devices will work on a gas cooktop. I have the tandoor... it will do everything from chicken to cupcakes, indoors or outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
These are both quite interesting! Nice options, but since I already have a good Dutch oven and a Coleman oven, will continue looking for ways to make do with what I have!
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Baking can be done in almost any metal container which has a lid. A Dutch oven will bake with only heat from below, but it will take longer to finish. If you want to bake something small, there are numerous videos on Youtube that are meant for backpackers. Search "dry baking" and see how it works. I have had success baking in an Imuse pot (sold by Walmart as a grease dispenser) with a 4" x 2" pan inside. I put this on a home burner set on low flame. The 4" round pan will bake 1/2 of a muffin mix. That's just right for 2 people.

Thanks! I watched the video. Love these kinds of improvisations. I'm pretty sure a similar setup will work inside the DO. I think I'm going to give it a try (but will bring the Coleman along to experiment with too).
Old 08-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
Coleman oven

These ovens work very well. Just have to regulate the flame manually to maintain the desired tempersture. We use ours every trip to make muffins for breakfast! I usually add a double layer of aluminium foil under the muffin pan to keep the muffins lighter on the bottom. I've also used it to bake chicken and other things.
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #14

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmccracken View Post
These ovens work very well. Just have to regulate the flame manually to maintain the desired tempersture. We use ours every trip to make muffins for breakfast! I usually add a double layer of aluminium foil under the muffin pan to keep the muffins lighter on the bottom. I've also used it to bake chicken and other things.
Awesome. I definitely have to put my oven through its paces.

I have a question to ask about this, but I *think* it should be another thread, so will start one (about silicone sheets, muffin pans, etc.)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #15

Name: Albert
Trailer: SCAMP 16
Ohio
When I bake biscuits in a DO on a gas stove I heat the lid on one burner and the pot on another get the lid super hot, put the biscuits in the pot than put the lid on. It works!
dogbiskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I've baked cookies over a coleman lantern (poor college student). Just took a bit longer for them to get done.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This portable Coleman oven works pretty good. Another nice thing about them is they fold up flat for storage. Very nice for us with limited storage. I usually put some kind of added insulation on the top. Just a sheet of foil helps.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/895626?wm...&wl13=&veh=sem
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This little unit if you can find one is nice but a little small. I have one and like it. Again small compact the fits in the storage under my fridge.
They don't make them any more but there's usually some on Ebay. Knapp Monarch Redi Baker

Also consider getting a Cobb grill. They are very versatile. You can bake, grill or use as a frying pay with proper accessories.
Cobb Grill America
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiskett View Post
When I bake biscuits in a DO on a gas stove I heat the lid on one burner and the pot on another get the lid super hot, put the biscuits in the pot than put the lid on. It works!
Oh, good idea, that should work with anything that cooks fairly quickly.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #20

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiskett View Post
Great tip!