Does your camp food resemble your normal home fare? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: How closely is your road food to your normal menu?
Nearly the same menu as at home 20 23.53%
Minor changes for RV cooking method & storage 59 69.41%
Major changes because of road challenges 5 5.88%
We eat out all the time anyway so it's all good 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #29
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
I always eat better out as I have more time to cook and I have more time to think about it. If its pure travel food, I eat at better food places like diners when we can as opposed to fast food. I would rather travel further and maybe skip lunch totally and then have more time for a meal I'd rather eat at dinner time. We still working so camp food is a real treat. Work week food is just enough to get by.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #30
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
I eat better at home, at least during the growing season. I have a large garden so fresh vegetables & fruit are always available. I don't have a microwave in the Escape, however I've found that I can use a steamer to do most of the things a microwave could do. No built in oven, which I do miss. I have a large toaster oven for when I have hookups, and am learning to use a Dutch Oven.

My biggest problem is making meals for one while traveling. It is often difficult to find supplies designed for a single meal & I have limited freezer space...

And, another photo of Jim at the feed line at one of the Niagara Wine Escape Rallies -
Attached Thumbnails

Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #31
Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
We have a microwave. I hung it under the overhead cupboard on the stove side of our galley in our 16' Scamp. It takes no counter space. We heat our tea in the morning with it, we make oatmeal, we cook whole potatoes with it, we heat vegetables, we make toasted cheese sandwiches, we heat up leftovers and on rare occasions cook microwave dinners like lasagna. It makes the LP last much longer.
Nine out of 10 dinners are grilled outside, weather permitting. Left overs are common.
Our microwave is a convenience and a choice that we're happy to have.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Our Scamp is a 16 ft deluxe with Side Dinette.
It has the front bath/shower with the clothes closet just by the entry door.
Our microwave is in the space above the closet. We do a lot of cooking there with "plastic" pots. And, we get prepackaged meals that do not require refrigeration.
Also carry canned stuff, and dry packets as well as some fresh food that fits in the small fridge. Our diet is more or less the same as at home.
we love Pot Lucks when we gather with other "Eggs"
Bon Appetite
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #33
Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
cooking on the road

when we renovated the 96 5th wheel we removed the stove... I couldn't cook without my microwave and installed it above the fridge; I purchased a portable BUTANE burner and also have an untried THERMAL cooker I plan to put into use soon. We also grill on the fire when one is available and I love to cook in quantity and reheat for convenience. When we hit the fulltime road in a few weeks we intend to eat healthier, less fast food quick fix lunches and inching toward less meat consumption for health reasons. Actually, I'm pretty flexible as long as the coffee is hot.
cchandka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #34
Name: Steve and Julie
Trailer: Camp Lite by Livin Lite
Special Diet

Since I am on a very restricted diet and we generally travel to visit others, we balance 2 menus with much planning. I make and stuff the freezer with portions of veggies and meats in baggies supplemented with salad ingredients (and replenished on the road during longer trips) for my menu. I'll freeze meat portions for Steve and add either canned veggies or salads for meals; he enjoys lunch meat sandwiches with cheese melted in the convection/micro oven. Since Steve enjoys all the menus of our hosts I generally do not need to cook for him and a supplemental burger on the road when travelling is generally a safe bet. We virtually never spend much time cooking but I do have: hot water pot and Foreman grill just in case!
The smell of propane, campfires, & all the gear (charcoal, portable tanks) doesn't bode well with the severe illness I am battling. We do grill at home though. Where do you all store a grill? We probably need to get a cover for the truck bed to carry a portable grill should we go to a place without access to a "family" kitchen!
stevenjuliehorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #35
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Originally Posted by stevenjuliehorney View Post
...Where do you all store a grill? We probably need to get a cover for the truck bed to carry a portable grill should we go to a place without access to a "family" kitchen!
I keep it in my truck bed, which has a SnugTop cap. It gets pretty filthy so it's easier to stow it in the truck than in the trailer.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #36
Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
hauling the microwave along

I guess I have to join this conversation because I thought long and hard whether I wanted to bring my small microwave along on my trip to Arizona from Upper Michigan. Have a 4 cyl car pulling a 13' Burro and my first trip with it.

I am a big fan of a large bowl of Old Fashioned oat meal every morning with bananas, raisins, cinnamon etc. I have this down pat and don't have to watch it while it's cooking. Certain amount, certain time and walk away. I love simple things and am not a cook by any stretch of the imagination.

If someone has an idea for making oatmeal another way I would like to hear from you.

Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day and I enjoy mine each and every day here in the desert with electricity of course.
Attached Thumbnails
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #37
Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Back when we had the GetAwayVan, we had a drawer filled with snacks and candies from the Dollar Tree, and ate very choice. Then last year we decided to quit eating table sugar, and last summer found ways to continue that while "picnicking," which we did several times for a whole day, eating all three meals out of a picnic basket. We're thinking often, now, of what appliances we want to take when we finally get the amerigo back together, and if we even want a sink. We no longer have the 42-year old appliances...we don't know if we'll replace them. We were thinking of "just" a microwave, as we can do everything from boiling water to "frying" bacon in it, I can make omelets there, we can reheat Paul's whole-grain muffins, and we can always do sandwiches cold.

Well, this is a great thread, lots of thoughts and ideas! Good question--do you eat the same as you do at home, or what? Yeah, that's the question, isn't it?

In Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it said, something about the course of civilization running from "Will we be able to eat?" to "Where shall we do lunch?" And this discussion seems to go along those lines--very good!

How we finish the trailer depends quite a bit on how we answer this question. Myself, I NEVER cooked when camping--and I refuse to "bake" when on the road, so Paul mostly cooked over the Coleman or a campfire. Now we're even debating the Coleman stove. Since it went with the GetAwayVan, we'd have to get a new one...not wure it's worth it.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #38
Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
We are increasingly aware and careful of what we eat, both at home and on the road, and try to buy local or from local producers/farmers. Our little old Trillium has only a stovetop as did our tent trailer years before. But we've always eaten well while camping, cooking mostly outdoors. What changes is how we cook. We love to find local farmers' markets for fresh veggies and eggs and get fresh meat and fish where we can. We do take along a few decadent treats. We used to allow our children to come to the grocery store before each trip and pick out one of those junky cereals with all the colour and sugar that we would never allow them to eat at home. They loved that and so we have carried on the tradition with our grandkids. Oh, and don't forget the marshmallows and chocolate for "s'mores"!

So far as the microwave, its kind of funny: I've been actually thinking of putting a small one IN Little Green Trillium (they weren't an option in1976)! One can actually cook quite a few things there, including veggies and for less energy. And I've learned there is even a coffee maker that can go in the microwave (you could probably even heat up s'mores on a rainy day, but that wouldn't be nearly the fun!).
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #39
Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
I CAN cook pretty much anything in my camper that I do at home... gas stove and oven as well as a BBQ grille. Generally however, I'm at an event that is more important to me than most cooking, so I don't actually do much cooking. The perked coffee in the AM is vital however, and we do at least one big team meal for which I cook something interesting. The question isn't WHAT I cook while I'm camping, but WHY am I camping (which can determine what I take time to cook.) That's the way I do it... YMMV!

Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #40
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We eat in as much as possible. Don't stuff the fridge with "Barley sandwiches" but enjoy them just the same!!!
Here's a pic of my daughter treating us... doing the grilling for a change. Teriyaki pork steaks!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Alf S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #41
Commercial Member
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
What is your pizza oven?
This works great, propane pizza oven

Pizzeria Pronto Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven | Pizzacraft
Ian & Joan
1974 Boler "Buttercup" / 2014 Escape 19'
Camping Treasures - Key Chains & More
The Complete Guide to 13′ Boler Fiberglass Trailers
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #42
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia

How is that pizza oven better than a propane BBQ/grill ?
I have done pizza on the Q at home ( learned you need to pay closer attention ).

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote