Does your camp food resemble your normal home fare? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: How closely is your road food to your normal menu?
Nearly the same menu as at home 20 23.53%
Minor changes for RV cooking method & storage 59 69.41%
Major changes because of road challenges 5 5.88%
We eat out all the time anyway so it's all good 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
What is your pizza oven?
This works great, propane pizza oven

Pizzeria Pronto Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven | Pizzacraft
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ian,

How is that pizza oven better than a propane BBQ/grill ?
I have done pizza on the Q at home ( learned you need to pay closer attention ).
Old 12-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #43

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Totally agree with the not having barley sandwiches--one of the challenges for going "free-fructose-free" was to eat just about the same as before, but to eliminated all fructose-bearing added sugars. The desserts alone have been a great journey--we're always happy to enjoy our "picnic" meals...and look forward to taking only delicious things when camping. But no more drawers full of candies.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Ian,

How is that pizza oven better than a propane BBQ/grill ?
I have done pizza on the Q at home ( learned you need to pay closer attention ).
I don't know if it is better Glenn, the principle is the included pizza stones are preheated to 750 deg, The pizza cooks in about 4 minutes, nice crispy crust yet tender not dried out and gooey cheese. It really cooks just like a restaurant pizza oven.

A BBQ works well I just find the crust is either soft or hard and dry, I have not been able to replicate a pizzeria or duplicate what comes from this oven in either of our BBQs. It does go on sale for half price, it is not worth the suggested retail. Negative with the oven is it has problems maintaining the heat if the wind gets up so sometimes you need to shelter it.

I cannot forget the cool factor had several other campers comment and get a good chuckle
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #45

Could get expensive if I have to buy a Tacoma to carry it.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J. View Post
Tried posting this earlier, but it didn't take...
We are increasingly careful of what we eat, both at home and on the road and when we trailer, like to find farmers markets so we can continue to eat fresh local veggies, eggs, etc. We do take along a few decadent treats. We used to camp with the kids and would allow each to choose one of those junky cereals with food colour and too much sugar that their friends ate but were never allowed at home. We have continued the tradition with our grandchildren. Oh and lots of marshmallows and chocolate for campfire s'mores! Our old Trillium has only a stove-top, as did our tent-trailer many years prior. So we do most of our cooking outside.

Funny about the microwave, I've been thinking of puting one in Little Greeen Trillium! They weren't an option in 1976! And really, you can cook lots of things like veggies in them, even coffee if you have the right maker I hear. Probably not s'mores...

Hi, Randy J., you CAN make S'Mores in a microwave. You put the graham cracker on a plate, put a marshmallow on top of that, heat it (try 30 seconds or less to start) and then press the chocolate into the nearly melted, hugely-fluffed up marshmallow and top with another cracker. works pretty well.
coffee--you can buy packets of ground coffee (like tea bags) and you just make boiling water--pour over the "coffee bag" and let steep, brewing it in your own cup. I've even made my own with coffee filters and a Tablespoon or two of grounds in each one. Even made labels attached with long strings. It's pretty good, if a bit pricey.

Seems like I read your post above on another page--sometimes the site seems to ignore your post, but it took it anyway.

This is a thread that's very pertinent to how we design our trailer...as some say, we're "making it our own" out of the necessity of making it into "something." Right now, nothing but options!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #47

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I don't think we could do this in a microwave.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000968.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I don't think we could do this in a microwave.
Impressive...and no, probably not. On consideration, the downsides of trying are awesome.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
I can't replicate pizzeria pizza even at home. I've tried literally hundreds of combinations of cooking methods and ingredients and still not able to make a good NY style pizza. When we travel we use a Ready, Set,Go cooker to cook a 6" tortilla with our favorite toppings to satisfy our pizza cravings. When boon docking I just flip on the inverter and cook up a couple of pies. The cooker works for breakfast omelets also.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We do pizza in the BBQ using a pizza stone. If you want an authentic taste , you need to use a risen dough. They turn out fantastic.

A pizza stone is a great thing to use when baking anything on the BBQ, lasagna, mac and cheese, meats, whatever....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #51

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
i mostly just eat whatever is placed in front of me! My wife has remarked often that I will eat anything...and not be unhappy!

However, for anyone interested, I once wrote several articles, for a sailboat website, about cooking simple meals in limited space,and with limited cooking equipment. (Well, I owned the website, so anything I wrote was published!)

Boat Food and Boat Provisioning

For the record, I once spent a weekend eating only Turkey Spam sandwiches, made with flour tortillas and mustard. Flour tortillas will last almost twice as long a bread in the heat!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #52

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Could get expensive if I have to buy a Tacoma to carry it.
Pizza is better the next day, warmed up in an oven or the O grill when we camp. Just wrap up in tin foil the ind. slices so they fit in fridge. Then pull them out as needed and put in the O grill till perfect. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Pizza is better the next day, warmed up in an oven or the O grill when we camp. Just wrap up in tin foil the ind. slices so they fit in fridge. Then pull them out as needed and put in the O grill till perfect. Carl
Hi, Bill Nolen, HEY, your link is GREAT!

OK. Andrew Linn, Salem, Oregon, has my vote for the simplest provisioning concept...once that's acceptable, everything else seems like a bonus. It also sounds a lot like some of the diets I've been on, and at some point never wanted to be on again. But it's workable.

Spam on tortillas with mustard is a step up, but not a huge step. Acceptable and workable also. These days, it might be called a "wrap," rather than sandwich. Good to know tortillas keep better than bread in the heat.

So...our various food plans don't sound bad at all, starting with power bars, spam wraps, and on up. THANKS!

Really liked your link! Good articles, like your writing.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #54

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Kai just found out what Costco does with old Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, Bill Nolen, HEY, your link is GREAT!

OK. Andrew Linn, Salem, Oregon, has my vote for the simplest provisioning concept...once that's acceptable, everything else seems like a bonus. It also sounds a lot like some of the diets I've been on, and at some point never wanted to be on again. But it's workable.

Spam on tortillas with mustard is a step up, but not a huge step. Acceptable and workable also. These days, it might be called a "wrap," rather than sandwich. Good to know tortillas keep better than bread in the heat.

So...our various food plans don't sound bad at all, starting with power bars, spam wraps, and on up. THANKS!

Really liked your link! Good articles, like your writing.
I was told that they cannot let it sit longer than 45 minutes under the heat Lamp then they just toss it into the garbage can, I said to the boss lady why not put it into the cooler and eat it the next day as tastes way better cooler than hot, I save my pizzas for the next day as I cannot eat a 12" home made pizza by myself any more.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #55

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Kai, thank you very much for the very kind words! It was fun collecting all the food choices people make.

Stude, a friend used to own a BQ Rib Joint. (I called it a "Joint"...he called it a fine restaurant)

Heonce told me that Health Regulations required that he toss out all of the food that fell below a certain degree of heat!

I read something just yesterday that over 50% of food purchased is thrown away. The article said in the World...but, I doubt that would apply to most 3rd world countries.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #56

Jack-in-the-Box.

That's all I have to say.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Jack-in-the-Box.

That's all I have to say.
Okay, I'll bite. What does a toy have to do with camp food?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #58

Registry
For me, pizza is most definitely best fresh. No different than bread being fresh, it just tastes better. One of the biggest problems with reheating the next day, is when it is done in a microwave, which makes any bread or bread (pizza) crust tough and chewy. Heated in an oven, or on a grill, would be better.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We've even reheated pizza in a frying pan (covered). But never, ever in a microwave!

Regarding the survey... I can't find anything that fits. We do cook and eat a lot differently when we're camping, but it's definitely not "because of road challenges." It's "vacation," so we have more time and choose to splurge a bit on quality fresh ingredients- more a step up than a step down. Call it "road opportunities," not "road challenges"!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #60

I don't find an appropriate check box either, and I wonder what the point of a survey is? Will it change anything?