Does your camp food resemble your normal home fare? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How closely is your road food to your normal menu?
Nearly the same menu as at home 20 23.53%
Minor changes for RV cooking method & storage 59 69.41%
Major changes because of road challenges 5 5.88%
We eat out all the time anyway so it's all good 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #61

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Does your camp food resemble your normal home fare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
...I wonder what the point of a survey is? Will it change anything?
No more will a thermometer change the temperature.

Sometimes I check a thermometer to satisfy my curiosity; other times it's with a view to adjust my own behavior- cover my tomatoes or pack an extra sweater.

On this site surveys seem to be mostly about curiosity. One characteristic of a good survey is that many others are curious about the same thing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #62

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
When on the road we try to eat basically the same way we do at home. I have gluten sensitivity, so it's easier to cook than to go out. We eat a primarily vegetarian diet, with the occasional addition of chicken, beef or fish. I have to admit that sometimes we resort to convenience foods just because it's easier in the small space. Having an oven is one thing I would be reluctant to give up. We use ours pretty frequently. I thought I would miss having a microwave, but it turns out I don't. I've also learned that I really don't need to take a ton of groceries with us, except for things that are hard to find when traveling. There are grocery stores out there after all! Sometimes the pickings are slim, but you can usually find fresh fruits, vegetables and the basics.

The one time we throw our good eating habits out the window is when we go to weekend gatherings where the emphasis is on potlucks, beer swaps, wine tastings, hot dog roasts, cocktail hour gatherings with chips and dips, etc. After all, ya gotta have some fun once in awhile!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #63

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
[QUOTE=stude;562758]: placed it in the wrong location when they installed it way up there in a spot when you pull out the hot item and it catches on something causing it to tip...

Actually, there is often a problem with that as there are limited places for the microwave and ours has been a little high also. One item we bought recently is microwave plates. They can be removed more easily than many containers but we still have to be careful. Of course, that does not help for cooking many items but with some, we can manage with the plates. A stool could be used and hand to another maybe. I am sure that many have your complaint. See George's post #31 as that might be possible for some people.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #64

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
The one time we throw our good eating habits out the window is when we go to weekend gatherings where the emphasis is on potlucks, beer swaps, wine tastings, hot dog roasts, cocktail hour gatherings with chips and dips, etc. After all, ya gotta have some fun once in awhile!
Ain't that the Truth! Thank goodness I don't camp with you folks on a daily basis... my arteries couldn't take it Hot dogs and bacon are camping food. Oooey-gooey, filled with cheese something-or-others are fun foods and every time I partake I enjoy! But really, general camping isn't always about the food... it's about the memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #65

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Ian, that pizza oven looks great. I am wondering how much the good results have to do with the stone and how much with the lid. One could take a stone and use alone and see how well that works. I expect some have done that.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #66

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Steak on the Potti

Hmmm..as I am pulling a 12 hour pork butt off the big green egg.....

I have never seen steaks on a potti before

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:01 AM   #67

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Whether or not to have a microwave also has to do with your camping style. We've only had hook-ups twice in the past five years with our FGRV so things like microwaves are low on the list
On the other hand I like to cook and we both like to eat
We find in most weather we use our old camp stove on the table outside
I have a lot of healthy one pot meals that we enjoy. We also make good use of pie irons and often take along a BBQ grill
With some small modifications we eat about the same wherever we are

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 AM   #68

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
hmmm..like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Hmmm..as I am pulling a 12 hour pork butt off the big green egg.....

I have never seen steaks on a potti before
don't look too sanitary
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #69

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And why?
Steaks are sitting on a cutting board which is sitting on the lid.
If you want to investigate unsanitary, look into your kitchen, especially the sink and counters. Do bacteria counts from your dishcloth.
It's probably the most unsanitary room in the house.

Here you go:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/tomorrow_today/9603/sponges/
Old 02-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #70

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Okay, I'll bite. What does a toy have to do with camp food?
re- Jack-in-the-Box

Being from all the way up in Canada, you might not be familiar with the fast food chain. It's mostly a California thing, but spreading. Fast food burgers.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #71

Montana
I pretty much eat either rice or noodles with fried or steamed veggies. Pretty easy on the road or at home. Oatmeal for breakfast. If I'm hiking, pb&j for lunch. Nuts, nut butters etc for snacks. Occasional meat but it's so easy to contaminate the camper and so much more cleanup that I don't usually bother. If I'm on the road, I'll probably eat "out" at least once a week, so if I'm craving meat, I'll have it then.

My "new" camper has an oven, which is nice, but it'll probably only very rarely get used. If it wasn't more hassle than it's worth, I'd probably just remove it and put in a 3-burner cook top, and use the extra space the oven used to take up for storage. But my trailer is still plenty light and I have enough storage, so messing with cabinets, propane and all that just to remove the oven doesn't seem worth it.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #72

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we are camping ,we usually have a big breakfast .Bacon ,sausage ,ham ,steak , fried potatoes , pancakes ,eggs ,fruit juice ,coffee milk etc. For supper we have normal meals - salad , meat ,potatoes , vegetables ,and a dessert. Food is one of life's enjoyments I can afford .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
re- Jack-in-the-Box

Being from all the way up in Canada, you might not be familiar with the fast food chain. It's mostly a California thing, but spreading. Fast food burgers.
Spreading e-coli too, if I recall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_J..._coli_outbreak
Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #74

Montana
Yep, but that was a long time ago...

I mean I'm not defending them and I avoid fast food like the plague, but with the amount of food any chain fast food restaurant puts out, with a low paid, typically teenage workforce, it's a wonder there aren't e-coli outbreaks every day. I'd say they actually do a pretty good job.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #75

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Just a worthless thought. Based upon the comments posted here, this old saying came to mind:

"Some eat to live, others live to eat!"

Since I'm way overweight...I must be in the last group of people!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #76

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thank God that organic vegetables are completely safe and E-Coli free.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #77

Montana
That seems to assume a lot
Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thank God that organic vegetables are completely safe and E-Coli free.
You are kidding, right?
Manure is an organic fertilizer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC525133/
Old 02-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #79

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
That seems to assume a lot
It would be wonderful if a person could believe ALL labels that are stuck on food items.

However, dishonest people work in all industries, including the food industry.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #80

Montana
I can't tell if he's trying to get a cut in at people who avoid fast food, assuming that they therefore must eat only "organic", and that they wrongfully believe that because they're eating organic there's nothing bad that can grow on it, and that they feel superior to everyone...Or if the statement is made to be taken at face value and he really believes that...Or if it was just a good natured joke.

Bad things can grow on anything organic (organic meant to mean "living matter"). Whether or not there are a bunch of pesticides also on there is another matter. That's where "organic" (meant in the no pesticides/chemicals way) is really nice. Though that label unfortunately doesn't mean what most of think or would like to believe it does.

I just do my best to eat as "un-processed" as possible. Food is a real thing, and a real good thing. What's on most of the shelves in the grocery store and served at most chain restaurants is an unfortunate human bastardization of what was once real food.

I'll stick as close as I can to unmodified veggies, fruits and grains, and eat as much wild game as I can instead of animals bred and raised covered in their own filth, shipped off jam packed into a truck to a slaughterhouse that's moving animals through so quickly that they can't keep the feces off the meat, and therefore irradiate the meat to sterilize it because they know they can't produce at the scale they want to, and still keep things clean otherwise.

YUM!

Which is not to say I'm above eating that type of food and meat. I just do my best to avoid it, and try to find something better first.