Dry Camping -- Microwave Popcorn - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2003, 10:06 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Drycamping popcorn

Charles, you don't need a gas generator. During the power crisis in Calif., I read about a family that used a bicycle to create electricity. The bicycle was in their living room and was (I guess) hooked up to a battery thingy that ran the TV. Anyone who wanted to watch TV had to generate power for it by riding the bicycle.

It'd be good excercise for you, or should I say for Pam.

Old 05-22-2003, 05:44 PM   #16

>>good excercise for you, or should I say for Pam

Hi Carol! Good to see you here! (Note to all ... Carol is one of my favorite people ... in addition to a long time friend.)

Me, on a bicycle? Pedalling? I don't think so!

However, Pam will be happy to hear we're taking her bike to Colorado with us.

Thanks for the idea, a perfect marriage, Carol! She pedals. And I eat! That way atleast one of us keeps our girlish figure.

Old 05-25-2003, 01:13 AM   #17

uhhhhmmm... and old pan with a lid and some oil? heat it up, shake it on the stove... would that work? seemed to work well back in the dark ages of my childhood :conf

Hey what ever happened to JiffyPop? Stuff wasn't half bad and I remember as a kid my Gram bringing it for us. Do they still make it?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:47 AM   #18

Jiffy Pop

Yep, they still make it. We'll have some at the national rally. But it's not for those of us trying to attain that girlish figure Charles was mentioning. There's not a "Lite" version.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #19

Popcorn . . . Camping . . . Drool!!!

:jester Goal: Find a way to make "low fat" popcorn while camping for those of us who are Cholesterol blessed but love the stuff anyway. :thumb

Dave
Old 05-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Orginally posted by Debi Cundiff

* * * * * * Yep, they still make it. We'll have some at the national rally. But it's not for those of us trying to attain that girlish figure Charles was mentioning. There's not a "Lite" version.
There are certain things in life not meant to be lite... cheesecake... fudge... gravy... and popcorn, specially if it's loaded with melted butter :thumb

Another thing my Gram used to do was to pop the corn in a teflon (aging myself here) kettle without the oil. It had a smoky taste to it which was pretty good. She liked it best that way. Only thing is you have to be very careful about keeping the kernals moving and not getting the pan too hot or it will burn and stick. She had the magic touch for doing it... me... I destroyed two of my t-fal kettles trying it, so now I stick to either microwave popcorn or the oil in the pan method.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:10 AM   #21

Just wondering, do they still make/market that stuff they called "Jiffy Pop" that came in the little cheap tin-foil 1-use skillet? That might be an alternative...Always loved that stuff (and the SNL skit of the air-bag that deployed in the same manner) Happy camping...We are in the back yard this weekend with the pups, as our favorite site was full by Wenesday!
Old 05-26-2003, 10:38 AM   #22

Quote:
Orginally posted by Eric C
* * * * * Another thing my Gram used to do was to pop the corn in a teflon (aging myself here) kettle without the oil.
Hey Eric, be careful using a Teflon pan to pop popcorn. When Teflon is put on really high heat, it gives off toxic gases. Anyone with parrots cannot safely cook with Teflon. The gases will kill birds almost immediately. We got rid of our Teflon because of our parrots but figure that if something kills small animals it cannot be good for humans either.

Gosh, I haven't seen Jiffy Pop in ages! It's good to know it's still made.

Nancy
Old 05-26-2003, 01:53 PM   #23

teflon

No problem Nancy... My Gram used to make popcorn in one (maybe that explains the forgetfulness ;) )

I use the micro mostly, or a t-fal pan...
Old 06-30-2003, 11:59 AM   #24

Camping Popcorn

While you won't get the best popcorn ever, nor the ease of the microwave...one thing you can do is cook it over the fire in tinfoil. My little Cub Scout Pack loves this one. Get a square piece of tin foil and pour a table spoon of oil in the center. Drop some popcorn in the oil. You want all of the kernels to get covered with oil. Add some salt. Fold up the sides of the tin foil to make a "tent" around the corn. Attach the tent to a string, string to a stick. It will look like you've been fishing and caught a tin foil fish. Hold it over an open fire. Be patient, don't rush it, or you'll have burnt corn. Also take care not to burn your string or the whole thing drops into the fire...back at square one. It's a fun alternative to roasting marshmallows!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #25

pop pop pop- 'n butter

Jiffy pop is alive and well- made us the envy of the whole campground this weekend.
I left my campfire toaster flat and sat the jiffy pop on that till it started and I had to shake it. I figure I must burn at least half the calories I 'm going to gain by doing the jiffy pop dance. The smell can't be beat

Tags
microwave