Ebelskivers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ebelskivers

There's always something new around the corner.

We hosted 7 couples for a birthday brunch and one of the guests made ebelskivers, round balls of heavenly light fried dough. They are made in a cast iron pan (see picture) that contains 7 hemi-spherical holes. He spins the dough as it fries with a knitting needle to ensure even cooking.

Ebelskiver pans are available on Amazon, be sure the spheres do not contain ridges.

I love it when RVers get together for a party, interesting food just appears, banana bread with dates, fruit salad with a honey/balsamic dressing, a great frittata, French toast with a pecan praline topping.

I am buying a ebelskivers pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Ebelskivers.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Norm, I love aebleskivers! How nice you have a friend who's an expert in their preparation.
I never thought about it before, but i suspect one could use the cast iron version over coals while camping... hmmm.
I found this video for those who've never seen the process:

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have the pan also and we make them every now and then, a calorie thing and the fact that I make a big batch hoping to save some but hope goes out the window for leftovers pretty quick. The leftovers are good though as we had them once in all these years and a real plus that I don't have to make them and can enjoy them. I do feel they are a hassle to make though.

Sometimes I make them with the chunky type cherry preserves, very messy task but well worth the effort.

They are SO good compared to anything you can get from a bakery.

I watched video clip and he makes it look much easier than it is. They can stick unless you put a lot of oil in the holes and, yes, mine was pre-seasoned and I am used to cast iron although it is never a top choice for me.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Florida
Our friend put a little oil in each 'cup'. As well he did not use a mix. In his recipe, the eggs were separated and the whites beaten separately and folded in at the end, adding to the lightness.

There are 'good' calories and calories.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

I've made them by whipping the whites separately and not and they are lighter if you do using 2 bowls (2 bowls to wash). I do almost all cooking from scratch and sometimes the thought of yet an extra bowl has no appeal yet I have never had a complaint when I just use the 1 bowl method.

The recipe I have makes a lot and we end up with a bunch divided among the 3 of us - well, one of those disadvantages of pets is they wait for a share, small one though.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm hungry now....
Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Norm--you note that you and Ginny hosted---but that photo sure looks like a regular-sized kitchen, not the inside of your Scamp (wouldn't that have been cozy with 7 couples )

Just wondering if that was in a community-type room at the Escapees park you are in. We are starting to check out different options for next winter and Escapees seems interesting.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
You can also make muffins and Donuts. The Lodge one on Amazon is full size but the Norpro is much smaller and a good size for a small fiberglass trailer

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Ebelskivers

This is the same cooking concept as the Japanese dish Takoyaki. Though Takoyaki isn't sweet and usually contains octopus or prawns.
It was one of my favorite dishes when I was in Japan. When we returned I asked my wife if she wanted an electric Takoyaki machine. Sadly she declined. Both iron and electric pans can be found on Amazon.
Would love to try ebleskivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

I also took corn bread batter and put in the pan and it came out interesting. It worked pretty well. I was also going to try to make hush puppies in it since we don't deep fry but haven't done that yet.

The ebelskivers are SO much better than donuts. If only little baker elves would show up and make them early in the morning so all I had to do was eat them, that would be a dream come true. Oh, well, making them burns some of the calories in advance of eating them.

I have a recipe for chocolate ones but haven't tried that one because the others are SO good. I actually bought a magazine that featured the recipes and then I just had to buy the pan to try them. It is nice to have something that hasn't been pumped with chemicals so that it has a long shelf life!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Norm--you note that you and Ginny hosted---but that photo sure looks like a regular-sized kitchen, not the inside of your Scamp (wouldn't that have been cozy with 7 couples )

Just wondering if that was in a community-type room at the Escapees park you are in. We are starting to check out different options for next winter and Escapees seems interesting.
We plan to stop in Bathhurst next year, we have good Escapee friends there who are members of our park.

We began the year in our Scamp but purchased a park model near the end of November. We had to wait 9 years before we could purchase a lot in our Escapee park. People thought we were crazy to wait 9 years, certainly unlikely for me. RV friends and relatives who thought we were crazy now want to see what we waited for and are coming down, they won't fit in the Scamp and we bought a Park Moel from a park founder to house and entertain them. (and of course to serve us when we can not travel any more). It is inexpensive and can serve us during our 'road retirement years'.

In 3 months of ownership we have entertained over 100 people. The picture is of a MN/Swedish extraction friend making ebelskivers.

The Escapee park has a large club house with inside and outside entertainment areas that can be used by members and friends. We also have a large professional kitchen (I'm running it this year) that can be used by members and guests.

If you're ever in the area you could visit and camp here as a my guest for a week at the regular rates. We and every Escapee park have 3 kinds of camping, boondock, overflow (limited services and full hookup. Most of all lots of friendly people.

Glad to answer any detail questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Flour, milk, and egg mixture, fried and then topped with jam and powdered sugar (or something sweet). It's the same basic ingredients (minus baking soda) found in a pancake, except in the shape of a ball... so I have to ask, what makes it taste different from a pancake and "better than donuts"?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #13

Donut is drier and heavier and most aren't fresh, not straight from the cooking source to the table. It is more the flavor of a Swedish pancake and texture too, not like regular pancakes at all which tend to be heavy and, well, I don't like them. They are almost light like a yeast product versus a cake of sorts and we don't eat yeast because our son has issues with it so especially delightful, this light, tasty fresh bite of something that tastes like deep fried but hasn't been bathed in fat, literally soaked up a bunch of fat like a regular donut. And, if you ever baked donuts, they just don't hit the mark either. That's my best try at describing the differences.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #14

Florida
Mike,

Cathy is correct, not greasy, and a lighter result than most donuts. The only thing I put on the 'skivers is maple syrup and only a bit. Always fun to try something new.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
They do sound tasty. Yes, pancakes tend to be heavy despite the baking soda. Light and fluffy would be more desirable.

So, Norm, what kind of pan do you intend to get?

I was looking at them and I see cast iron, aluminum with nonstick coating, and one brand (Scanpan) is aluminum with ceramic coating.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #16

Florida
Mike,

I plan to buy the following pan. It's castIron.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logi...DateDescending

I'll post results

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #17

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
My wife has the pan, it's round, aluminum, non stick. I think she got it at Williams Sonoma. We only have them Xmas morning when we make a huge Xmas breakfast for our kids and their significant others. She says it takes some practice to get them right. I can confirm the deliciousness, apple, raspberry and banana flavoured with home made maple syrup flavoured whipped cream for dipping.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Ebelskivers sound a lot like beignets. I wish I were at the Café du Monde right now!
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mike,

I plan to buy the following pan. It's castIron.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logi...DateDescending

I'll post results
I have that one. As you probably know, cast iron gives it that special taste and browning. I was SO glad when they started doing the pre-seasoning. I have found that the "farm" stores often carry this. They have several new and interesting shapes of pans that I keep talking myself out of, so far.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #20

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I could almost smell them! Oh yum. Very similar recipe to the pancakes we had in England on Shrove Tuesday all my childhood. Guess I'll have to buy ANOTHER piece of kitchen gear.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote