Favorite cookie? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Favorite cookie?

Ok, there has to be a cookie recipe that has to be baked for the holidays or it just wouldn't seem like Christmas. What are your favorites? Please share your recipes. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The kind my camping neighbor makes while camping.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California

Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
There's just one trick; you have to make sure that the sugar mixture boils hard for at least one minute, otherwise the cookies will be sugary instead of creamy. You can add other ingredients to this basic recipe. Substitute 1 cup of flaked coconut for 1 cup of the oatmeal. Add some chopped peanuts to the recipe for crunch. Or add some milk chocolate chips after the mixture has cooled slightly.Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 24 cookies

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
Preparation:

In large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, cocoa, salt, and butter and mix well. Bring to a boil and cover saucepan for 30 seconds to allow steam to wash sugar crystals down sides of pan. Stir mixture and bring it to a boil that can't be stirred down for 1 minute. Then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Add oatmeal and mix well. Do not use regular or instant oatmeal; quick-cooking oatmeal is essential to the success of this recipe.
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the oatmeal absorb some of the liquid.
Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment lined baking sheets or Silpat sheets. Let cool until you can touch the mixture; then reshape the cookies to make them more a ball shape. Let cool completely; store tightly covered at room temperature. You can also pour this mixture into a 9" square pan that has been greased with unsalted butter, let cool, then cut into squares.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Any free ones at the Christmas party.

Name:   cookies.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  19.3 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Snickerdoodles...................
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My mom’s recipe for Horn cookies, “Roshki”
(a traditional cookie in our house, this came from Slovakia)

Dough:
2 lbs. Flour (approx. 8 cups)
1 lb. Lard
½ stick butter
dash salt (1/4 tsp) (I had printed 1/4 tbsp, but that just seems wrong for a ‘dash’!)
2 yeast packages
½ pint sour cream
4 eggs (2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites)
Work flour, lard, butter, and salt by hand until well blended. Crumble yeast into sour cream, add beaten eggs, blend well. Add this to flour mixture and work by hand until dough is shiny and pulled away from bowl.
Divide dough into 3 or 4 pieces. Wrap in wax paper. Let sit several hours or overnight in fridge.
Next day, leave on counter until workable. Roll out thin on sugar, adding sugar as needed to be pliable. Cut dough into strips approx. 3-1/2" wide, then cut each strip into triangles and fill with desired filling, rolling up on sugar.
Grease cookie sheet, place horns on it, return to refrigerator while oven heats. Then bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool on rack.

Fillings: Nut, Apricot, or prune.
Nut filling: to chopped nuts add honey, sugar, vanilla, and 2 egg whites.
Apricots: cut fine, cook in a little water and sugar. Add starch or egg whites. Cool before using.
Prunes: same as for apricots.

Note: with this recipe, most of the sweetness comes from the filling.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #7

Mike, these sound wonderful! Thanks. terry r.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My Italian heritage demands Biscotti. We like the Trail Mix variation when camping/hiking. They beat power bars any day!

Italian Biscotti
Twice-Baked Cookies
Original Recipe and Trail Mix Variation
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup (½ lb.) unsalted butter melted (Note: works with ½ cup butter)
    • (Optional, but authentic: 4 TBLS. Anise seed, ¼ cup anise-flavored liqueur )
  • Original: 3 tbls. Bourbon or 2 teas. vanilla and 2 tbls. water and 2 cups coarsely chopped TOASTED walnuts or almonds (Roast nuts or 20-30 minutes, turning frequently)
    • OR: Trail mix variation (see below)
      1. Mix sugar with butter, vanilla. Add “optional” anise seed and anise-flavored liqueur here.
    • OR add bourbon (OR vanilla and water) here.
  • 6 eggs
2. Beat in the eggs.
  • 5 ½ cups all purpose flour (1 LB. 9 3/8 oz.)
  • 1 TBLS baking powder
  1. Measure flour and sift with baking powder, add into sugar and egg mixture.
  • Optional Ingredients: oats and cinnamon
4. Using heavy-duty dough paddle attachment, add original nuts
    • OR trail mix ingredients here.
5. Weigh out 8 (9 oz.) sections of dough, wrap in waxed paper formed into “fat sausages”. Place in lasagne pan. Chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured board shape dough with your hands into a 1” thick “snake” as long as your cookie sheets. Flatten “snake” to make loaves that are about ½ inch thick and 2 inches wide. Place no more than 3 loaves, parallel and well apart, on a buttered (or parchment-lined) cookie sheet (an insulated one without rims is best).

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Check the bottom of the cookies. They should be very brown but not burnt.

Remove from oven and let loaves cool on pans until you can touch them, then cut carefully with serrated knife in diagonal slices that are about ½ to ¾ inch thick. Lay slices close together on cookie sheet and return to the oven (375 degrees) for 10 or more minutes until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks and store in airtight containers. Makes about 9 dozen.

Trail Mix Variation: (Trail mix variation: 2 teas. vanilla and 2 TBLS. water and 5 cups homemade trail mix; almonds, walnuts, cranberries and raisins [Note: soak raisins so they don't burn])
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #9

Gilda, my daughter asked my last week if I would make her some Biscotti for Christmas. I told her I had never done that before and it probably wouldn't happen.

Thank you for a tried and true recipe. I may just give them a whirl. At the very least, I will give the recipe to my daughter.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Nanaimo Bars. OMG - our favorite. Not the easiest recipe but worth it. My mom always made these at Christmas. The city of Nanaimo BC's 'official' recipe uses almonds instead of walnuts (we like walnuts). I've seen folks make the filling with mint flavoring too.

Happy holidays!
Kathie

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (250 mL) graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) sweetned flaked coconut or shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped walnut halves
  • 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Filling

• 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
  • 2 tbsp (30 mL) custard powder
  • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
  • 2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp (30 mL) milk, (approx.)
Topping

• 4 oz (113 g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
Preparation:

Base: In bowl, stir together graham crumbs, coconut, walnuts, cocoa powder and sugar. Drizzle with butter and egg; stir until combined.

Press crumb mixture into parchment paper–lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square metal cake pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until firm, about 10 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.

Filling: In bowl, beat together butter, custard powder and vanilla. Beat in icing sugar alternately with milk until smooth, adding up to 1 tsp (5 mL) more milk if too thick to spread. Spread over cooled base; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Topping:
In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with butter. Spread over filling; refrigerate until almost set, about 30 minutes.

With tip of knife, score into bars; refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days or overwrap in heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.) Cut into bars.

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
SEVEN LAYER BARS:

1 C. graham cracker crumbs. Mix in one stick melted butter. Press mixture in 9X13 pan. Sprinkle evenly (in the following order): 1 C. chocolate chips, 1 C. butterscotch chips, 1 C. walnut pieces, 1 C. shredded coconut, 1 can Eaglebrand sweetened condensed milk poured evenly on top. Bake @ 325 for half hour or until golden brown around the edges. Cut into squares. Indulge (leave room for Tums). So easy even I can do it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Chewy Chocolate Cookies

1 1/4 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs then stir in vanilla. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes in preheated oven. Cookies will be soft. Cool on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
all of these sound wonderful, but i like jack's for it's simplicity.
i'm going to try it out.

at our house, in years gone by, there were always some sugar cookies that the boys and their dad made together. not always beautiful,but definitely delicious! but sincethey've grown and now have their own families, they only ask for one thing from my kitchen--and it's not cookies, it's nuts and bolts!
so, i'm getting lazy and doing no baking at all this year, but have made 2 batches with probably 2 more to come.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here's an easy one - no bake date balls.

Humdingers

1/2 cup butter
1 (8 oz) package chopped dates
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup white sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
1 cup powdered sugar - for coating

In a large sauce pan over low heat, combine butter, dates, pecans,white sugar and salt. Cook approximately 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; add vanilla extract and rice cereal. Shape into small balls and roll in powdered sugar to coat. Makes 24.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Gingered Pecan Sandies

1 cup pecans, lightly toasted and finely chopped (4 ounces)
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 T Candied ginger, minced
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
24 whole pecan halves

Combine butter and sugars, vanilla and ginger. Add dry ingredients and chopped nuts by thirds and mix until combined. Drop spoonfuls on cookie sheet and press pecan into center of each. Bake at 350
Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Gingered Pecan Sandies

1 cup pecans, lightly toasted and finely chopped (4 ounces)
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 T Candied ginger, minced
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
24 whole pecan halves

Combine butter and sugars, vanilla and ginger. Add dry ingredients and chopped nuts by thirds and mix until combined. Drop spoonfuls on cookie sheet and press pecan into center of each. Bake at 350
Hmmmmmmm......this made my mouth water.
I love pecan sandies........

Printing this off for my own use............hello ten pounds.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
SEVEN LAYER BARS:

1 C. graham cracker crumbs. Mix in one stick melted butter. Press mixture in 9X13 pan. Sprinkle evenly (in the following order): 1 C. chocolate chips, 1 C. butterscotch chips, 1 C. walnut pieces, 1 C. shredded coconut, 1 can Eaglebrand sweetened condensed milk poured evenly on top. Bake @ 325 for half hour or until golden brown around the edges. Cut into squares. Indulge (leave room for Tums). So easy even I can do it.

jack
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
sugar high just thinking of these! I love them
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Peanut Crunchies

1 - 6 oz Pkg Butterscotch chips
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
2 1/3 cups cornflakes
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts

In a large saucepan, stir together butterscotch chips and peanut butter.
Cook over low heat until mixture melts. Stir in cornflakes and nuts. Drop
by teaspoon unto wax paper. Cool for 15 to 20 minutes until set. (or over night)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
OMGoodness, Jack! My daughter made these last night to take to school for their Christmas party and they are amazing! My youngest daughter is now going to make them for her Girl Scouts Christmas Party. Thank you for sharing this easy yet delicious recipe!! Anything the kids can do by themselves AND tastes great is a winner in my book!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
SEVEN LAYER BARS:

jack
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
My mother would be pleased that the recipe works for the younger cookie bakers, Melissa. No way to mess up unless you forget em in the oven.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote