favorite kitchenware? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Avoid Aluminum

We had an aluminum camping set where everything nested into the biggest pot.

We found out that aluminum will make everything it touches black from the aluminum oxide that rubs off because of the movement of the trailer.

We bought a small pot set from Fred Meyer which is a story in itself. They had a set on display with metal lids. I took one of the boxes beneath the display and when I got it home all the lids were glass. We don't want glass for the breakage factor, so we took the set back to FM returned it and took another box from the display which had a different shape. Looking at this one at Customer Service, we discovered that this also had the glass lids
We asked the department manager if we could buy the display set because it didn't really depict the sets accurately, but he said no. However, the store manager was glad to sell us the display set for the same reason. So we carry the largest pot, the largest saucepan and the small skillet with us, using the two small saucepans and the large skillet at home.

We use the large pot to heat water for doing dishes, pouring part into our sink for washing and use the pot for rinsing.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
We use this 7 piece Stansport stainless steel set. We bought it online for the best price on Amazon. They have a thick bottom. Handle is removable and we went to the manufactures website and ordered an extra handle. Way too expensive for a handle but oh-well shipping stuff sucks. You don't need the extra handle but I wanted it. The nice thing the whole set stacked fits through the Scamp narrow door in the bottom cabinet. We do have to hold it together with a bungee since we store it they way we do. One thing to watch for, remove the handle while cooking on high heat. Its easy it pops on and off and locks in place.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP02178.JPG   DCP02182.JPG  

DCP02183.JPG   DCP02179.JPG  

Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #17

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I don't have my camper, yet, but when I do, these will go in it. I use them for Prius camping, and they're compact and energy efficient.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
My favorite is our Magma Nesting Cookware, it will outlast our Boler
Magma Nesting Cookware

Next favorite is our coffee maker, the AeroPress
AeroPress® | AEROBIE® High Performance Sport Toys
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Our cookware is a Magma Nesting set too. Fantastic stuff to cook with, and nests nicely in compact form. Not super light, but light cookware does not cook as well. We have been using it for two years now.

We love the set so much, and we often need a second fry pan which stores separate, so just a few days ago we ordered this saute pan that nests with the rest. If you want, you can also add a colander, but we have a folding rubber one we use for now.

Being the coffee snob I am, I have been mostly using an AeroPress for almost 10 years. It works great at home, in the trailer, or in the backcountry, and makes a great cup of coffee. I use the stainless steel filter you can get for it, as it leaves the coffee brighter tasting that paper filters do.

To grind the coffee beans camping, I use the Porlex Tall Hand Coffee Grinder. The fourth manual grinder I have had, and definitely the best. I also roast my own coffee beans, but that gets done ahead of time at home.

Another big key to our camp cooking is our Dickenson Spitfire 180 BBQ. I did a review on it a couple years back here. This is one high quality built unit, that performs wonderfully, and will undoubtedly last us for many, many years. It doesn't look quite this pretty any more, as it needs a good cleaning after tons of use.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Thank you all for your comments. Keep them coming. Has anyone tried the Trangia cooking sets? They are tempting to me.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #21

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I bought a set of nesting pots that fit inside my 10 inch Dutch oven, which fits into a dishpan, which fits in the cabin. Works great. I'll probably not take all the pans, every time, but so far am just seeing what I use most. I have a silicone scraper and a silicone "cookie spatula" which is small and great to use. I need bowls- haven't figured out what to get yet. I have a flexible plastic cutting board.

For coffee I ended up with a small Keurig. I also have a pot to heat water and a non-electric plunger-type coffee maker.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #22

Name: Lesa
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
South Dakota
I'm a stove geek and natural-rustic cooking nut (been at it since i was a young kid and have to convert recipes to fit my MCS).
I love my Esbit multifuel set. I even use it with a tiny ceramic frypan from WallyWorld. I have a Trangia as well. They are basically the same. I do like my Heat Mate and have an Origo (same company) stove on my wish list.
I also miss my GSI Haulite tea kettle I will get a new one tho the thrift store won out for the time being.
I also have a couple sets of Stanley pots which have drain holes in the lids.
I don't like the Origami plate sets. I thought I would love the stemless wine glasses but I keep knocking them over.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I am a frequent shopper in Goodwill, DAV, and other thrift shops. For pots and pans, I collect up Revereware™ Stainless cookware with copper bottoms. I keep enough stuff in the Burro all the time for basic needs (percolator, small sauce pans and skillet) then add any extra stuff I need for special occasions when I want to make a big pot of Gumbo or whatever. You didn't ask, but my tableware and dishes also came from the same types of places, with a set of stainless I got for 25˘ each and Rubbermaid™ plates, cups, etc. I should mention that the cast iron griddle I got for my gas stove is also an important part of my cooking program.

Froggie
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Does my heart good to see that green frog is another percolator coffee camper.

One thing I have not seen mentioned much is a griddle, if you use a Coleman stove as we do it is very useful. Not as useful as a deep skillet but being thin it is easy to pack and provides a large surface area for cooking larger quantities when the kids or grandkids are along. We can do bacon/sausage, eggs and hash browns for breakfast on it for two easily. Or pancakes for the whole crew.

We use a nested camping set similar to the stainless one shown but in aluminum, having a couple of nested pots and a fry pan lid. Coffee percolator, old smaller percolator minus guts for heating water. All the silver ware and utensils fit in a rolled up towel. Plenty of aluminum foil. We have a couple of plastic insulated mugs good for keeping beverages hot or cold.

Then we come to the battle ground. Mess kit plates vs. disposable plates, folding cups vs. disposable cups. On the one hand hate the bulk of the disposables, on the other hand when we cook over the campfire there is almost no dishes to wash. Wife also likes disposable plates for food prep surface.

We also carry a small folding campfire grill, and a larger grill that started out life as a small oven or maybe refrigerator rack. The small grill is enough for some things such as toasted sandwiches and is used as legs to support one side of the larger grill, other side of larger grill rests on log or maybe fire ring edge.

Camper pie irons, set of extendable forks for marshmallows or hot dogs, campfire popcorn popper. And a clamshell grill with extendable handle. Two small nested dish pans, one with nested strainer.

Entire kitchen will fit in a medium sized plastic bin, under the table or in the back of the TV to be brought out when cooking. The grills and such store flat in a bag because they tend to be dirty from the fire.

If you haven't guessed yet we don't cook inside much. :-)
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Stansport is almost exactly like the Magma set, but less stout and far less expensive.

Only YOU can decide what works best for YOU and how you wish to spend your money.

Frankly, I believe ONE and DONE. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #26

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
It is true that only I can decide, but I love learning about options and success/failure stories, If you are a one and done kitchenware person, feel free to brag about your monogamous relationship. If you are a player, I would love to hear about your thought processes in making your selections. If you are a serial monogamist, I would be i terested in hearing about why you traded up or down.

Thanks to the people who joined in this conversation, I am now looking hard at the Aeropress. Is the rubber cap worth the extra money?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I don't leave home without 4 of these. I washed a million of these in junior high and high school. Best item for potlucks and eating on your lap.
Attached Thumbnails
JMA-012514-003-DalasWareDividedLunchTray1.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I don't leave home without 4 of these. I washed a million of these in junior high and high school. Best item for potlucks and eating on your lap.
How in the heck to you stir your different foods together with something like that?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote