favorite kitchenware? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
favorite kitchenware?

I am in the thinking and online shopping phase of pulling together a small but functional kitchen set for my UHaul CT. At the moment it only gets used on occasional weekends, and mostly just heating up water. But I would like to think about doing more. I am a fanatic about not having stuff everywhere though, so I want small and compact stuff.

I have been looking at some of the collapsible bowls, colanders, and coffee drips. Also, backpacking pots/pans and tea kettles. For example: this collapsible coffee drip: Amazon.com : GSI Outdoors 79480 Collapsible Java Drip Coffee Maker : Camping Coffee And Tea Pots : Sports & Outdoors

Possibly collapsible colanders like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Prog...dp/B00EZQQJ78/

Those of you who have already stocked your kitchens, do you have any advice or warnings? Anything you tried and removed from your kitchens?

Sharon

Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #2

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
I use the Progressive bowls from Camping World-they collaspe and have lids.
I have a small colander and small electric skillet-9 inch.
We have limited room also so we always are the lookout for compact small items.
It is fun to hunt and find items.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I have a set of GSI halulite pots and the small kettle too. Small and light.
For coffee, an Aeropress. Best coffee and with the above kettle it's just a couple of minutes to make a fresh cup

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV app
Old 07-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have some of the collapsable stuff from Camping World, mainly because we stopped at one and saw them. Over the years we have accumulated lots of extra cookware and utensils to use just for camping. But what we take depends on where we are going, for how long, and what we are cooking. Having two campers that we regularly use, plus a 3rd that gets little use, we still have to move things from one to the other. Good Will and Salvation Army stores can be good sources for inexpensive cookware at really good prices.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sharon, we have the collapsible GSI Mellita style coffee filter holder you mentioned. It does a good job, but if you have the space I recommend the original Mellita brand. It is easier to see how full the cup is, and easier to clean. It's also indestructible. Here is the one we prefer:

Amazon.com: Melitta 64008 Red Ready Joe Filter Cone: Disposable Coffee Filters: Home & Kitchen

It comes in black as well. They are made for size#2 filters, but most people like size #4 better because they are less apt to overflow. I've tried every possible way to make coffee, but never had a better cup o' joe than made with the Melitta system. Period.

This is the kettle we use. It's stainless and indestructible as well. You can even hang it over a campfire.

Amazon.com : GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Kettle : Camping Coffee And Tea Pots : Sports & Outdoors

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #6

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Our favorite kitchenware is the place settings at a restaurant.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
Tom, I have that red Melitta and a cheaper green one... I take one to Japan with me because there is always a thermos of hot water, but never good coffee. I thought the collapsible one might pack better. I have heard good things about the Aeropress, but I wonder about cleaning it out. A Melitta filter is really easy.

Thanks for the recommendations about tea kettles. I have a regular whistle kettle, but it and my 40 year old pots take up a little more room than I want to use. So, the camping ones are tugging at my heart strings.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
We've got this little collapsible tea kettle:
Amazon.com: Better Houseware Collapsible Tea Kettle, Lime Green: Teakettles: Kitchen & Dining

Plus we use a leftover set of T-Fal Ingenio fry pans that stack and have removable handles..same set we use everyday at home. Originally found them at a Tuesday Morning and then after years of use, bought a newer set on Ebay.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sharon, No doubt the collapsible filter holder is more compact when folded up. One advantage of the collapsible one is that the lid acts as a dish to catch the drips when you remove the holder from your cup. When you go back to Japan, see if Snow Peak brand (Japanese Co.) is cheaper over there. They make some of the very best camp cookware you'll find. Especially nice is their titanium line. I am a spork collector (I know, that's weird) and Snow Peak makes the best. That's all I need to eat as far as silverware goes. My wife laughs at me, but I got used to using one in the Army. I am very opinionated on this. Sorry. Here's the best spork in the world: (in my less than humble opinion, haha)

Amazon.com : Snow Peak Titanium Spork, Anodized Blue : Camping Flatware : Sports & Outdoors

Tom
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I will second Carol Ann's recommendation of an AeroPress. Not only is it relatively small but it makes seriously delicious coffee and cleanup is a cinch.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #11

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
California
I use the Aeropress at home and will definitely have one in the future FGRV. You can reuse the filters easily also so a small pack will last a long time.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My advice is to keep your kitchenware simple. Think like a backpacker. We use a nesting set of 2 pots with lids, a 9" teflon-coated fry pan with folding handle. My husband loves his one cup cone for making drip coffee. That's it! (See photos) We like Rubbermaid products to store food in the cooler and icebox.

You do not need a colander. Just drain excess water by holding lid slightly off to the side when pouring. You don't need a tea kettle when a saucepan boils water just as well. You do not need a toaster because you can simply toast dry or buttered bread in the skillet.

One of the joys of camping is simplicity. Another joy is "glamping", but that's another story.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 008.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 007.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 006.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I don't drink coffee but Mary does and likes her Kuerig. I make ice tea and like my teapot. We created extra storage space to take things that make long term camping easy and convenient.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Eating healthy has long term effects. Buy the cooking stuff that helps you cook the foods you want to stay healthy. And yes, even weekend cooking. Double-duty is always a plus! I like my collapse collander. Use it to drain pasta, but also fruits and vegetables after washing.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote