First Dutch Oven Dish - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #15

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Bobbie, I had to even look that one up to make sure I have been doing it right. If your going to use it right again "Just brush the coals and ashes off".
But I think your talking between meals and you wouldn't be using it for hours. If that is so I would think it goes back to cleaning your cast iron like you always would have cleaned it.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #16

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Thanks Wallo, I never even thought about using a reg CI pan to make smaller pizzas. I will have to try that out now. My kids will thank you!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #17

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
CI is even good for heating up leftover pizza from Pizza Hut, et.al.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #18

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Shawn- the video is great but leaves out the part I had the question on- the top of the lid where the charcoal sits. And now two more questions on it-

well, the same question first, can it sit uncleaned between meals? It's covered with ash, weather is dry.

and

When you DO clean it, how do you get the ash off?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Dutch oven cooking

Marinate chicken pieces in red wine for several hours. Meanwhile cut up onions, garlic & potatoes. You can also use bell peppers, cut up. Drain wine from chicken, brown chicken, that has been rolled in flour, in Dutch oven in olive oil. Add marinade wine and all other ingredients. Let cook slowly for an hour or two. A little more red wine can be added if chicken mixture gets cooked down. If thickening is wanted when chicken mix is done, use corn starch. Flour seems to change taste. MMMmmmmmmmmmm good. Marg in NW CA
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #20

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
i, too, used my new dutch oven for the first time this past week. i chose to cook up a pot roast. it turned out fantastic!! the roast, onions, carrots, turnip and a can of stewed tomatoes. yum..yum!
cannot wait until the next campout to try another dish.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Shawn- the video is great but leaves out the part I had the question on- the top of the lid where the charcoal sits. And now two more questions on it-

well, the same question first, can it sit uncleaned between meals? It's covered with ash, weather is dry.

and

When you DO clean it, how do you get the ash off?
Just knock off the big pieces and get the rest with a "corn fiber whisk broom" like this one on Amazon.

Rubbermaid Commercial FG9B5500 Corn Fiber Whisk Broom, 12-1/4" Overall Length, Yellow: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

You can find the same type in any hardware store. The fine ash can be wiped off with a rag. I usually put a little mineral oil on the rag. I use mineral oil because it doesn't turn rancid with age like vegetable oil will.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #22

Name: Leonard
Trailer: Casita
Mississippi
The following recipe is great DO cooking. My Wife and I have amended the original recipe to reduce the amount of sodium without sacrificing any taste. Chicken Taco Soup. In a 5-6 Qt. DO add the following. 2 cans each. Whole kernal corn, drained. Chili beans. Ranch style beans. Black beans, drained. Diced tomatoes. 1 can tomato sauce. 1 Pack Zesty ranch dry mix. 1 package McCormick, Smoked paprika chicken taco mix. 1 clove minced garlic. 1 medium chopped Onion. Mix all the above ingrediants well then add your choice, 2 lbs chicken thighs or breasts. Add chicken pieces to the top just till they are submerged in the liquid. After cooking for 1 hour remove and shred the chicken then return to the DO. Simmer a few more minutes to reheat. Using breasts or thighs, either way this soup is fantastic, when served with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips. It really only takes about an hour and a half to have this great tasting soup ready. Leonard and Peggy Anderson. 17' casita owner.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Anderson View Post
The following recipe is great DO cooking. My Wife and I have amended the original recipe to reduce the amount of sodium without sacrificing any taste. Chicken Taco Soup. In a 5-6 Qt. DO add the following. 2 cans each. Whole kernal corn, drained. Chili beans. Ranch style beans. Black beans, drained. Diced tomatoes. 1 can tomato sauce. 1 Pack Zesty ranch dry mix. 1 package McCormick, Smoked paprika chicken taco mix. 1 clove minced garlic. 1 medium chopped Onion. Mix all the above ingrediants well then add your choice, 2 lbs chicken thighs or breasts. Add chicken pieces to the top just till they are submerged in the liquid. After cooking for 1 hour remove and shred the chicken then return to the DO. Simmer a few more minutes to reheat. Using breasts or thighs, either way this soup is fantastic, when served with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips. It really only takes about an hour and a half to have this great tasting soup ready. Leonard and Peggy Anderson. 17' casita owner.
Your recipe is very similar to one I have used for a number of years. I use RoTel tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes. I like your idea of the Zesty Ranch dressing instead of the standard. I use Spanish Papriika so I need to check out the McCormick Smoked Paprika Chicken Taco mix. As soon as it gets cooler, I'll mix up a big pot. Thanks for your recipe