For those who use the 1lb propane tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
For those who use the 1lb propane tanks

amazon has a new refillable "green" set up which looks interesting....
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...ing+refillable
Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The description stated "usually ships in one to two months" caught my eye. The product looks like it would be a good idea. Amazon also lists several products that can refill the disposable cylinders as well.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Don't most propane tank have a device in them that prevent the propane to flow if the tank tips over? How does it work if the tan is up side down?
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
If you don't plan on purchasing a kit to refill them yourself, from your own larger tank, it is unlikely you will fill anyplace to refill them.

Our local Camping World even reached out to the company, to get the hardware necessary to fill these tanks, and did not manage to get what was needed.

Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
amazon has a new refillable "green" set up which looks interesting....
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...ing+refillable
Also see http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nia-75214.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What a great solution to an environmental problem. I'll check them out at my local U-Haul. We carry a one-gallon propane tank to fuel our portable camping stove. https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...l+propane+tank
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
REFILLING 1LB TANKS

This the 2nd. devise of its kind I have seen. The first was sold in Newfoundland for a short period a few years ago but the sales were banned within six months. It was considered unsafe.
This one looks like it might be safer to use.
I will have to give it some thought. Thanks for the post..
Scouter Dave
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #8

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink small propane tanks

Our kids gave us a nice propane "camp grill" for Christmas..uses the "greenies" of course. I hate throwing those away in the landfill so we bought a 5 lb propane tank (easily refillable) and a 5' hose w proper fittings. ..works fine and lots easier to move around that a 20 lb tank wd be. Sits on the ground beside the grille or the camp picnic table
I do admit I do keep ONE 1 lb greenie around as a "spare tank".
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
My 1# spare saved my dinner when the adapter hose for the 20# tank failed last month.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
Don't most propane tank have a device in them that prevent the propane to flow if the tank tips over? How does it work if the tan is up side down?
No, They don't have (out) flow preventers. They do have float valves that prevent IN flow to prevent over-filling, but nothing to stop outflow.
When the outlet is upright the flow out is propane gas vapor. When the outlet is down the outflow is liquid. That's handy for internal combustion engines like fork trucks and such.
Small 'disposable' tanks will do the same. You would see that effect if using a torch to sweat some copper pipe joints and tried the torch upside down. The flame would sputter and pop and surge until turned upright again.

I (Jon, not Bonnie) have a re-fill adapter for the two 1 lb. tanks I carry when camping. Run one to empty then swap in the other. Top off the newly empty one when convenient.

Sorry, I didn't realize until after posting just how old this thread was. I apologize for bring up the dead.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
On our cross country trip I used and reused the four / 1 LB tanks for the campstove, grill and lantern. I bought the refill adapter I found at Wal*Mart and followed directions I got off U-tube and didn't have a problem at all. I do not refill tanks more then 4 times before I throw then out but finding others at the dumpsters at any campground is never a problem...also have found a few full ones near dumpsters in some state parks, (he-he)
Just screw adapter onto the big tank, screw the empty 1lb'er on and tip upside down and turn valve on till you no longer hear a hissing sound.
Close valve, take 1 lb'er off, blead off a little air from fill hole with a small nail, then repeat this two more times. and you'll have you small bottle about 3/4 full.
As said we saved probably $60 in the 3 months we were on the road. Plus maybe 20 green bottles from land fills.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
It's interesting to see that the refillable one-pound cylinders are available again as it seems for a while they were removed from the marketplace.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...N164/305539511

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...LBKT/305539519

I have an adaptor fitting which could be used to refill the disposable cylinders, but in the end I've just used a (different) adaptor hose to operate our appliances directly off our 11 lb cylinders.

Flame King also offers a five-lb cylinder at a much more reasonable price than I what I paid for my 11-lb Manchester cylinders, and would be even handier to lug around.

I also see that Flame King is offering an 11-lb cylinder, bit it's not the same diameter as the 20-lb one's we normally use, so you'd have to find a different rack to carry them on the A-frame.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...6722267&sr=8-1

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
For the past year we've been using Flame Kings refillable 1lb cylinders. Probably filled each at least 10 times. They work great and won't purchase throwaways again.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the Flame King units would be great...if I had a 20lb propane tank to refill them from. But I don't. My cooktop in my trailer is fueled diesel. But in the warmer I use a dual fuel single burner and like to cook outside. But maybe I will get a little mini sized propane tank one of these days that I can refill at the propane filling station facilities. Of course when it is hot outside I make sammiches! I don't feel like cooking anything in hot weather.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #15

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Barely related, we generally use a pair of 11-lb Manchester cylinders which I bought to reduce the Casita's tongue weight, and to generally facilitate lugging around. They are the same diameter as the standard 20-lb cylinders, so I've been able to mount them on the A-frame of the Casita and the Escape by simply dropping the retainer clamps on the all-thread downward. Incidentally, they also work nicely with the "standard" white plastic cover.

Now, here's the possibly interesting parts.

I wanted to get the new cylinders purged, but was stymied by several fill stations that had no idea what this entailed, and another that told me it was too time-consuming. So, I ended up purging them myself. I did this by using the 1-lb fill adapter, with new 11-lb cylinders empty and a 1-lb cylinder that had some remaining propane. After a few repeated cycles of "filling" the larger cylinders with a squirt of gas and then releasing the pressure of the air-gas mixture, I was good to go. It was a very simple operation that took perhaps ten minutes.

Then, when I went to get the new cylinders filled at a station, it emerged that one of the new cylinders was resistant to filling. It would simply stop the propane almost immediately, remaining stubbornly near-empty. One kid unhelpfully banged the bottom of the cylinder on the gravel in an effort to knock loose the internal float valve.

I contacted Manchester and they told me the solution is to have the operator start the fill operation with the cylinder's valve closed. After the connection is made and the valve from the source bulk tank is opened, you then open the cylinder's valve. It worked like a charm.

I printed the instruction sheet from Manchester in case someone at a fill station wanted "proof" of this non-traditional approach, but so far everyone's taken me at my word.

Maybe this information will be helpful to someone. I guess this issue is uncommon enough that most attendants don't know about this, but common enough that Manchester has a pre-printed instruction sheet.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #16

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
These Flame King units look like a nice solution.from what i gather they weigh about twice of what the coleman trow away unit do. does any one now what the flame king 5 pounders weigh is empty? Just comparing 5 of the refillable to the one 5 lber. I cant be adding to much more weight.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #17

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
These Flame King units look like a nice solution.from what i gather they weigh about twice of what the coleman trow away unit do. does any one now what the flame king 5 pounders weigh is empty? Just comparing 5 of the refillable to the one 5 lber. I cant be adding to much more weight.
Amazon indicates 9 lbs tare which sounds like a reasonable estimate as our 11-lb cylinders run about 14 lbs.

Flame King's 1-lb tare appears to be about 1.5 lb as per a thread on REI.

The Flame King site doesn't appear to have this information.

They do, however, have a recall notice for their UHaul and earlier model 1-lb cylinders. I guess that's why their availability has come and gone.

Recall

Tags
propane