French Mess Cleaning solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Angry French Mess Cleaning solution

Unfortunately, my Italian grandmas espresso maker from the old country finally gave up the ghost. I gave it a somber funeral, in Italian, and into the recycling it went. I am guessing it was nearly 70 years old. It could not get anymore transplants. Done, finished, pushing up daisies.

Sooo...I will get another one when I can afford a good one. I tried a couple less expensive models..they stink..relegated to the car camping box..

I found a small French Mess, er, Press, a BodumŪ Black Coffee Press in Outlet Dining & Entertaining | Crate and Barrel that is perfect for just one or two people and stows nicely.

The problem with French Messes is what to do with the compacted grounds. You have to dig them out, use TONS of water cleaning them and in general, I have not found them worth the bother. But I HATE perced coffee, so I decided to try the Press again.

My solution to the mess? I line the chamber with a Dollar store ziplock bag. A quart sized one is perfect for my pot, in goes the coffee, it steeps, the "squasher" works just fine in it, it pours well..when done, the bag and mess come out and into the trash. The chamber doesn't even need to be rinsed if you are careful.

Nope, it's not ecologically correct, but neither is consuming tons of water for clean up. <_<
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The best camping coffee maker we have found is the Aropress. Works on a similar principle as the bodum but easy and fast to clean and makes awesome coffee.
AEROPRESSŪ
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #3

Registry
interesting..do you have to order the filters or can you buy them retail?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
You can either get the filters on-line or there are a number of retail locations you can buy them. The filters actually last more than one cup, with the instructions there is information on filter re-use. We use one filter of our morning coffee(s), usually 4 to 6 cups in total

Here is a link to sources for the filters in the US
Aeropress - Where To Buy U.S.A.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Registry
thx!

I am rarely near a BB&B, so this probably won't work for me, but I am sure others will find this an interesting and viable solution!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Any coffee filter will do with a pair of scissors. I'm sure you can handle that mod Gina.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #7

Registry
The ziplock seems to be working wonderfully for me. I use the spent bag for other trash as well, so it isn't a complete eco disaster.

Sitting here sipping my morning Joe at this very moment.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We have thinking about picking up another Melitta coffee maker. Perking a large pot on the Coleman stove takes a pretty long time, I like the taste fine just not the long wait.

Melitta just needs hot water, filters lift out, and 6 cups should just about get us through breakfast. https://shoponline.melitta.com/produ...KRSPROVERGLASS

Wish they had a metal pot instead of glass but they do make a tasty cup of joe. Still see cone filters in grocery stores.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We use a plastic thermal carafe with matching filter holder. Can't find it any more, but there is this stainless thermal carafe and filter holder.

Amazon.com : Melitta Coffee Maker, 8 Cup Pour- Over Brewer with Stainless Thermal Carafe : Ground Coffee : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gina, I hear you on the cleaning out of the french press! I like your solution.

I have bought a a few different presses to try and solve the issue of using way to much water to try and clean them out when dry camping. . One of them was the OXO French Press which has a ladle in the bottom that is suppose to help in that you just lift the coffee out of the press to clean it. It does get a lot of the coffee grinds out but didn't work as well as I had hoped. Will have to try your bag idea next trip as I had reverted back to using a simple drip cone system.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
We use a plastic thermal carafe with matching filter holder. Can't find it any more, but there is this stainless thermal carafe and filter holder.
I have a similar set up that I use if I am wanting to be very careful with water usage for clean up. I already had a thermos so I purchased a Collapsible coffee filter holder from REI that fits it and it works pretty well. Filter collapses flat for easy storage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #12

Registry
All good ways to brew..but my little item is well suited for fulltiming in a tiny space. It takes up no more space than a drinking glass. Less, actually.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #13

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Gina, thanks for sharing your good idea. You can't go wrong with simple, small and inexpensive! (and good results)

Phil
Old 05-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
One plus to not being a coffee connoisseur is that I like the percolator process. I pour in a half cup more water than cups of coffee I want to account for absorption and boiling away. I usually use my mug to measure the number of mugs of coffee plus a third or half a mug extra. I use those percolator filters I get at Kroger’s. Basically they’re square with one hole in the center and one at each corner. Slide it over the center post, poke it down some, spoon in the coffee, fold each corner over the center post, put on the strainer plate on top of the basket and into the percolator. I actually find this little routine pleasant in the morning, snug and warm (or cool) in my little trailer.

Since I’m only filling the percolator part way, it boils pretty quickly and percs while I’m taking care of other things. After the first cup is poured I turn the gas as low as I can get it without the flame going out to keep the second mug hot. After the meal, I just knock the folded pack of coffee out into the trash. Sometimes a little of the grounds escape around the center post and I just wipe them out of there with a paper towel or a paper napkin from breakfast.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Here is a few options, the one with blue cup has traveled the world literally. I've been using for about 15 years or so. The other 4 years it came from Wal-Mart I think.

I just tap out the coffee grounds unless I'm not going to use for awhile. I've got to order new rubber seal for my old one and its stable mate. Shipping will cost more.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but since buying an Aeropress for my wife I now actually drink an occasional cup. It makes pretty good coffee. Cleanup is a snap, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
After trying various coffee makers, a Melitta filter over a Thermos bottle and even considering a single cup Keurig, we finally found a Dutch instant coffee that we love. Douwe Egbert. And since our ParkLiner is nicknamed Eggbert, it was no contest. Do we Eggbert? You bet we do!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote