fruitcake - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
fruitcake

Suz,

We're closet fruitcake lovers too. Making one for Daisy means doing something gluten free and is a challenge, but is do-able.

The recipe I use is based on one from an English cookbook called "Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course" and it is really wonderful - dark, spicy, and very much soaked in whisky. For a truly sinful experience, cover the cake with marzipan then use royal icing on it -- an experience you'll never forget! (A South African coworker of mine had some of my fruitcake and said "It makes your heart race, just like it's supposed to! Heck, between all the fat, sugar, and flour not to mention whisky or applejack (I've used both, and think I actually prefer applejack, at least in the cake) it should put you to SLEEP not make your heart race.

So - I am a fruitcake source. Each year I bake many of them and give them to family and friends (neighbors - I wouldn't dare mail one of these things; neutronium weighs way too much to send through the USPS without costing a king's ransom to send).

Nathan

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:04 PM   #2

Ah, Ha

So, you're one, too. Don't forget to vote in our poll over in General Chat. Your's sound fabulous. l Yummmm.

Gluten free. I'm also suppose to stay away from wheat, gluten and anything else that's good, so I understand. If I recall correctly, I don't think my mother even used flour in hers. If she did, it was very little. Mainly just good stuff. And they are VERY heavy. Man, my mouth is watering.

Old 11-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #3

recipe?

Suz, Wanna swap recipes? Both for yours and the one for your Mom's ????

We could post them here so that other folks can drool over them :-)

Old 11-18-2002, 08:22 PM   #4

Recipe

I'll check and see if I have it. If not, I'll see if I can get it from mother.:chin

Old 11-18-2002, 09:12 PM   #5

mom's

GET THAT RECIPE and any other your mother is known for. You'll never know when you'll turn around and realize you don't have it. The first holiday after my mom passed away, my sis starts moaning about never getting any of mother's pumpkin pie ever again, and it was the best, and why oh why hadn't she paid more attention, so I whipped out the recipies I'd been getting from Mom and Grandma when no one was looken. We made a family book for everyone and they have really used them. Forgot to tell them how to bake turkey if you can believe it, had the dressing, just not the turkey. Oh Well, enough of my lecture.