gas griddle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: Wade
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
Alabama
Registry
gas griddle

Hey guys, I was looking to purchase a gas griddle as a companion to my PK grill I usually take with us.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been looking at griddles like this, but have never used one.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Portable-Grill-Griddle-Combo/dp/B00TH3CWXY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_ sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/camp...dCatid=3463536

The price at Academy on the rainier combo is very good compared to Amazon.
Wade the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

Alabama
Registry
gas griddle

Camp Chef Rainier Campers Combo 2-Burner Portable Gas Grill | Academy

Sorry, I messed up the link in my original post
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We have a Coleman grill/griddle very similar to this and I LOVE it. We've had it for five years now, I think? I love being able to make coffee and breakfast at the same time on the griddle, then boil a pot of corn on the cob and grill burgers for dinner. By far one of my favorite items we own.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
That looks like the one we bought at Gander Mountain, took it back. We use, most of the time, a Coleman Road Trip grill that has different attachments, stove grate, flat griddle, grooved grilling surface. Have an old George Foreman gas griddle that was hard to find and I believe no longer available
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
My first look and I was impressed. On my second look I had some questions. Weight of that lid was one, it appears light. That heavy lid on the Q100x is a plus. 26 # for the Q versus 18 # for the Blackstone. Second is the plates, this is not an open grate grill, rather it appears to be a grill plate with ridges. Not sure what difference it makes and depends on your cooking taste. Is this more like a George Foreman? Never had George so I can't tell.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

Alabama
Registry
Yup for under a hundred bucks I'm sure both the grills will be pretty light duty. the black stone grill does look pretty "George Forman", but I'm buying either one mainly for the griddle. Pancakes, bacon and eggs, hash browns....breakfast stuff mainly.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #7

Alabama
Registry
EMIJ, the Coleman grill you have that you like so much, was it similar to the black stone or the camp chef?
Thanks!!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
[/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade the K View Post
Yup for under a hundred bucks I'm sure both the grills will be pretty light duty. the black stone grill does look pretty "George Forman", but I'm buying either one mainly for the griddle. Pancakes, bacon and eggs, hash browns....breakfast stuff mainly.
Robot Check

I think you will really like it, especially having the griddle. This is the one we have. If you scroll down, you can see the griddle that goes with it is also for sale. We have literally used it for every camping meal for the past five years and it has held up really well. While the lid isn't crazy thick and strong, the grill and the griddle are incredibly durable. I was actually glad to see you can still buy it, because I love it so much.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade the K View Post
EMIJ, the Coleman grill you have that you like so much, was it similar to the black stone or the camp chef?
Thanks!!
Must have posted at the same time! Posted a link above to the stove. here is the link to the griddle that fits as well.

Robot Check

It ends up being a little more expensive to get the griddle and add the bag to hold it all, but it has definitely held up!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #10

Alabama
Registry
Hey thanks so much for the good review. That Coleman looks almost identical to the camp chef. I think I'm going to go by academy and see if they have the camp chef in stock so I can "lay eyes" on it. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

New York
We have this George Foreman gas griddle. Bought it about 8 years ago. Don't know if it is still made. Has a plastic carry case.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0721.jpg   IMG_0723.jpg  

Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #12

New York
Most of the time we use this Coleman Road Trip grill. It has a few different cooking parts, stove grate, smooth griddle, and grooved grate. The pan under the cook grates is removable for washing and Coleman recommends putting some water in it while cooking to catch any drippings. Comes with a stand but we use it on a another camp table that has side tables
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0726.jpg   IMG_0725.jpg  

IMG_0724.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Why do you all like to use a griddle like that, versus using a plain old frying pan on a gas burner? Just wondering what, if anything, I have been missing out on. (BTW, When camping, anything I want to grill goes on the charcoal grill.) Is it mainly so you can use one appliance for both grilling and frying?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Why do you all like to use a griddle like that, versus using a plain old frying pan on a gas burner? Just wondering what, if anything, I have been missing out on. (BTW, When camping, anything I want to grill goes on the charcoal grill.) Is it mainly so you can use one appliance for both grilling and frying?
For us, yes, one appliance for everything! For years I used a frying pan on a gas burner- we had a two burner Coleman stove, but I was always annoyed with the handle on the pan when trying to pack it somewhere. We car camped for a long time, and space was at a premium, so when we bought the new grill/griddle stove, it mattered to me that it all packed away together! We also never use a charcoal grill when camping, because so many times they've been banned due to high wildfire risk but you can always use gas. I think it is 100% personal preference! My sister ONLY cooks over the fire, so she brings a frying pan and even boils her coffee over the fire. I don't have the patience for that
Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #15

Alabama
Registry
Mike, you bring up a great point. This all started during my Hunter Compact rebuild, I decided early on I wanted to go with an inexpensive butane cooktop for inside/outside use. But it's hard to do everything well, with only one appliance! All I really want to do is make pancakes and bacon outside! Lots of ways to accomplish that, and for years I have been dragging the electric griddle out of the house and packing it. I wanted to leave something in the camper permanent. Decisions, decisions!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
gas griddle

I have a 30-year-old Coleman with electronic ignition. One of the first they made with that feature. Ugly, but it still works, and I love not having to keep matches or a lighter at hand. If I ever replace it, electronic ignition is non-negotiable.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Take a look at the CADAC grill. I used it last season and it works great. Hooked it to a 10Lb propane tank. I also have a small electric fry pan (Presto 06626 11 inch Electric Skillet w/glass lid), which I use when hooked to shore power.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
The CADAC model is this one; CADAC Safari Chef Lightweight Gas BBQ

both on amazon
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
The CADAC model is this one; CADAC Safari Chef Lightweight Gas BBQ

both on amazon
Could you use this with a hose an adapter to a larger tank.. such as this one?

I cant see from the photos on Amazon how the tank connects.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #20

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Could you use this with a hose an adapter to a larger tank.. such as this one?

I cant see from the photos on Amazon how the tank connects.
the large black knob screws on to a 20lb tank, or similar type tank. Other end is same thread as the green one lb disposable tanks, so that screws on to the regulator. What I have heard, and experienced myself, is that some of these hoses are not compatible with the 1 lb tank regulators. I thought my regulator was bad, but found the grill worked fine with the 1 lb tanks but wouldn't work hooked to the 20 pounder. Went to Walmart, bought a new hose, worked fine after that. I think another clue is to open the tank valve slowly.