Good gas grill? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No hint of pine resin then?
It's amazing how wood smoke can flavour a meat. I use hickory on pork, but never on chicken or steak ( ends up tasting like ham ).

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Glenn,
I"ll be more analytical next time. You know about the curiosity thing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
A few years ago Costco was offering Napoleon Travel Q.
We have now used ours for 2 years and it work great, even heat over the entire surface, interior is all Teflon coated which makes clean up fast and easy, folds compact and uses either disposable or large tanks (like most do)

TravelQ
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Glenn,
I"ll be more analytical next time. You know about the curiosity thing.
You never know. Could be a whole new market out there for pine cones. Pack 'em in plastic bags and sell them for $5 a bag.
I did a pork shoulder and it cost more for the hickory chips than it cost for the meat ( by weight ).
Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
Great ideas. I like the little coleman stove/grill a lot. If it works, it would also fit in my van when I do solo trips. Too many decisions.
Hi: arlon... A few folks over on Escapeforum.org are using a marine based Dickinson Spitfire S/S portable BBQ. I can't say how well they work... but they look rugged and probably pricey. Everything I like seems pricey!!! S/S would be a lighter BBQ than a cast one allowing for a side of something to cook???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #26

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I like that volcano. I carry a weber charcoal grill but there are too many restrictions on charcoal in the dry belt. I like that I could use it several ways. I never need a lid for grilling or heating up a can of beans so a lid isn't a necessity for me. They all have some merit for sure.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #27

The lid allows the grill to heat up hotter and more quickly, which saves fuel and provides a better sear.

I often roast a chicken on my Weber. Cut a whole chicken in half. Put it on the grill, on low, with the inside of the chicken facing down, sprinkle with spice, and leave it there, with the lid closed, for an hour. Inside of the chicken may blacken, but you're not eating the ribs. Your timing may vary with the size of the chicken and your BBQ.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #28

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
There is an "in-between" size of propane tanks. We have a re-fill-able one that is larger than the disposable tanks and smaller than the large one. I believe we bought it from Amazon, although I cannot find it for you at the moment. We find it convenient because we can bring it to the picnic table to use for our stove and for a lantern!
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: arlon... A few folks over on Escapeforum.org are using a marine based Dickinson Spitfire S/S portable BBQ. I can't say how well they work... but they look rugged and probably pricey. Everything I like seems pricey!!! S/S would be a lighter BBQ than a cast one allowing for a side of something to cook???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I am one of those that has the Dikinson Spitfire 180 BBQ Alf refers to. There was lots and lots of consideration that went into what I finally chose. HERE is a review I did on it last year.

After using it the entire year, I am thorougly enjoying this BBQ. It has been used tons. We love it, and I believe it is well worth what I paid for it. Can't imagine needing to ever replace it. Definitely one of my best purchases in a long time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #30

Name: FRANK
Trailer: SCAMP 13'
Connecticut
We have a Webber Everready portable grill and a 6' hose that attaches to our 20 lb propane tank. It works great. The grill was $60.
FRANK W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #31

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I have one of these made by Brinkmann. Very high quality, works great and not too bad to lug around. I hook it up to a 20# propane tank with an extension hose.

Tabletop Grill Single Burner Gas Grill (810-1100-S) | Brinkmann

Spanke
I have also had one of these...good grill I enjoyed it a lot. DH does not cook or grill.I had one that I picked up in a garage sale and used for years at home and and camping. It was so worth the $$ that if I did not have a cook now I would get a new one.Now I am lucky enough to have a wonderful SIL that loves to cook on the charcoal grill.So being a very thoughtful mother in law I got him a nice one to keep in my camper

Want to keep him happy so I even help DD set up their tent so he can get started on the grill.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Weber Q100 for me as well. I originaly used the 1 lb bottles but they are pricey. Now I have a 15 foot LP hose connected to the high pressure side of the Boler regulator (with a shut off valve). This BBQ puts out plenty of heat, has a good solid cast iron grate and a spark ignition button that has always fired the first time. I found a rectangular heavy gauge stainless steel griddle that fits nicely on the grate and the lid can be closed. That took some hunting because the BBQ cooking surface is not your typical round or rectangular shape.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #33

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
After a lot of looking, reading, considering I finally decided I just had to give the Volcano grill a shot. It solves several of the issues I had and adds a few new possibilities as well. Only time will tell. Not as conventional as others but I liked that it runs directly of my spare propane tank, can even be used as a wood burner, fits my dutch oven and works with the wok...

I appreciate all the suggestions and may end up going another direction if this doesn't work.

2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Looks like a nice little rig. I've never seen one of those. To bad you couldn't post cooked samples for us to taste. Oh, give it time the way technology is going.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
You won't go wrong with a Volcano. We have used one for a couple of years and they are great. You can get an adapter to run them off of 1 lb tanks as well. We use the adapter when we hook it up to a Coleman Distribution Tree so we can run a lantern, stove and volcano at the same time. The tree attaches to a 20lb tank. I have also used the Volcano with briquettes and wood. Works great.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote