Good place for BBQ in Las Cruces - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #1

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
We stopped at a fairly new BBQ place in Las Cruces, NM today. We were very happy with the food, the price and the building. It is off Valley Drive on the west side by one of the entry streets to the Wal-Mart. It is a chain out of Texas, called Dickey's Barbecue Pit. Their sauce was pretty good. We have been hoping for a good one. Hoping for a Famous Dave's, but this one is good.
http://www.dickeys.com/index.aspx

http://www.famousdaves.com/

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We stopped at a fairly new BBQ place in Las Cruces, NM today. We were very happy with the food, the price and the building. [b]It is off Valley Drive on the west side by one of the entry streets to the Wal-Mart.
I'll have to remember this! We stopped at that WalMart in June of 2007. We had lunch at the Cracker Barrel nearby after shopping there. I'm always up for a good BBQ.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Yep, I remember seeing your rig at the Wal-Mart. Very neat looking with the tandum axles and the Caution sign. Almost went up and spoke, but didn't want to be nosey or forward.

We spotted a Fiber Stream (with two axles) pulling into the Wal-Mart off I-10 in Las Cruces, NM around 12:15 PM or so today, Tuesday 19 June. It was being pulled by a mini van of some kind with California plates. On the rear of the trailer it had a large yellow sign, like found on 18 wheelers stating: CAUTION if you can not see my mirrors, I can not see yours. We were leaving as it pulled in, our egg was at home.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #4

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
Adrian... we are from Sacramento, so cannot be SNOW birds, rather, I suppose, "Fog Birds". In any case, we will head to AZ in mid January, and the only SCHEDULED item is the Hill-A-Pallooza in Johnson City, TX in mid Feb. My question for YOU... how is the weather in southern NM in Jan/Feb?

Many thanks...

Alan W. (and if you see us, PLEASE stop by!!)

Quote:
We stopped at a fairly new BBQ place in Las Cruces, NM today. We were very happy with the food, the price and the building. It is off Valley Drive on the west side by one of the entry streets to the Wal-Mart. It is a chain out of Texas, called Dickey's Barbecue Pit. Their sauce was pretty good. We have been hoping for a good one. Hoping for a Famous Dave's, but this one is good.
http://www.dickeys.com/index.aspx

http://www.famousdaves.com/
Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
Hoping for a Famous Dave's, but this one is good.
Adrian,

Thanks for the tip. Also, thanks for the Famous Dave's website. I didn't realize they were a chain. I found them in Wichita, KS, and they seemed local. They were as good as the local Pits, (but not my favorite - can't remember the name but is a real small place right across from the Beach Craft factory). We still have a couple of bottles of Famous Dave's sauce on hand. The great news - There is one about 50 miles from Santa Cruz .

Thanks,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #6

New Mexico
Arrow

Alan W. asked, "how is the weather in southern NM in Jan/Feb?"

January: We can get temps in the 70's to very cold indeed, in the 20s or even lower. Average I'd guess 60 for high and 30 for low. However, the Weather Channel has them as 57 and 26. It is just a little colder than December, can be our coldest month. A Las Cruces web page says average is 55/28. ?

February: We can get temps in the mid 70's to very cold indeed, in the mid 20s or even lower. Average I'd guess 65 for high and 34 for low. However, the Weather Channel has them as 62 and 30. Some years some fruit trees will start to bud, and then get hit by a freeze. Very flexible. Almost any month can be in New Mexico, especially winter and early spring. A Las Cruces web page says average is 63/31.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/gene...aph/88001?role=

Spring Wind is normally not a factor during this period, but March/April it can and normally is. But again one day can be as different as night and day here.

http://www.lascrucescvb.org/html/las_cruce...co_facts__.html

Las Cruces enjoys 350 days of sunshine a year. Temperatures in the summer months routinely reach the high 90s, with nighttime lows in the 60s. The fall air is a bit cooler with daytime highs of mid 70s to low 80s. During the winter, when northern states are digging themselves out from under the snow, Las Cruces basks in daytime temperatures ranging from the upper 50s to lower 60s. As spring arrives in March and April, temperatures climb steadily from the low to high 80s. Las Cruces receives an average of 8.5 inches of rain per year and no more than two inches of snow in the winter.

Other Places to eat in Las Cruces: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...54.cfm#23406354

Guadalupe Mountains National Park ( Guadalupe ) is located in far West Texas on U.S. Highway 62/180. The driving distance is 110 miles east of El Paso, Texas, or 56 miles southwest of Carlsbad, New Mexico. It is close enought to drive to Carlsbad Caverns National Park from the campground as a day trip. One could also get to it from Van Horn, Texas off I-10.

Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Fort Selden History.

If you are looking for things New Mexico, just to the west of Las Cruces is Historic Old Mesilla. If you will be looking for Indian jewelry or other crafts, Mesilla may have better buys than up north, mostly the same stuff. Old Mesilla

I do not like driving in El Paso. It seems semis have a tendency to flip over there a lot. Not sure why. If you are wanting quickest route, that would be it. If want more scenic route consider taking Exit 6 in Texas off I-10 on the way to El Paso TX, Route 375 (Transmountain Road); keep on Loop 375 all the way to I-10 to by-pass most of El Paso; or get off when you get to US 62; go east towards Carlsbad & Guadalupe Nat'l Park. You may go to Carlsbad or take TX 54 to Van Horn and back to I-10. Or just be very deligent and go through El Paso, we have many times and will again. It is the quickest shortest way.

However, another way to by-pass El Paso & I-10 to Van Horn all the way to Fort Stockton, take US 70 at Las Cruces to Alamogordo; then US 82 to Cloudcroft & on to Artesia; take US 285 to Carlsbad and on to Pecos TX and on to Fort Stockton TX. It is longer this way and slower going but you miss El Paso and the long boring road to Van Horn.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti.../1.cfm#23298113

You go by White Sands Nat'l Monument & through some of White Sands Missile Range and Aguirre Spring BLM Campground & Rec Area on US 70 from Las Cruces to Alamogordo.
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index....pic=4265&hl
US 70 can be closed at time for short periods of time when missiles are fired, etc. but not too often. Local radio stations tell of road closures.

Balmorhea Off I-10 on the way to Ft Stockton from I-10/I-20 interchange or from Pecos on Hwy 17, Balmorhea State Park is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea and nearby Davis Mountains State Park (along with the famous Big Bend Nat'l Park) are very nice places and one could spend a long time at each. Been to all except Davis, but it is nice areas, be sure to visit the old Fort Davis a nice place to see.
Big Bend Park maybe not great for a summer trip, but very neat in the fall, winter and spring.

Texas Hill Country Info: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseacti...96.cfm#23180896