Got my Sharp Half Pint Microwave - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Got my Sharp Half Pint Microwave

I was browsing the thrift store next to where my daughter has her music lesson, and found a vintage Sharp Half Pint for $19, with the even rarer glass tray.

As CindyL said, it fits right in the wardrobe closet.

This isn't the oven in question but gives you an idea of what we're talking about. I think it measures 14x14x16 or something. 600 watts.

My wife thought I was pretty nuts because you can get a 700 watt Micro at Walmart for $25 or so, but they don't fit in the closet! At least not in the operating orientation I guess there must be a lot of fiberglass RV'rs out there bceause people are selling these on Ebay for $75 or more.

SHARP R-IM53 HALF PINT CAROUSEL II MICROWAVE RV OFFICE | eBay

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use ours all the time. Kevin cooks on the grill while I make veggies in the microwave.

Too bad that they don't make them anymore. I have seen nothing that is as perfect. If you get the right version, the top is flat, so you can store things on top of it. We have ours on a shelf with a couple of Walmart plastic drawers underneath it.

You got a deal! I found one in a thrift shop last year, but we passed it by since we were not sure if it worked. Our original one had stopped spinning.

Parts are still available.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #3

Registry
And actually, both of our Half Pints have been the one in the video.

CindyL
Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
My neighbor gave me one of those when I first moved out here, It is in my egg now.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
that microwave is sitting on my kitchen counter!

omg, that's the micro that is in our house, that we use every day! You mean I just bought a camper to go with it?
Thanks for the tip!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I was browsing the thrift store next to where my daughter has her music lesson, and found a vintage Sharp Half Pint for $19, with the even rarer glass tray.

As CindyL said, it fits right in the wardrobe closet.

This isn't the oven in question but gives you an idea of what we're talking about. I think it measures 14x14x16 or something. 600 watts.

My wife thought I was pretty nuts because you can get a 700 watt Micro at Walmart for $25 or so, but they don't fit in the closet! At least not in the operating orientation I guess there must be a lot of fiberglass RV'rs out there bceause people are selling these on Ebay for $75 or more.

SHARP R-IM53 HALF PINT CAROUSEL II MICROWAVE RV OFFICE | eBay

Regards,

Matt
We have that one in the loft, waiting for a project and the newer version in our Scamp Dluxe....
LOVE IT! It has worked well for 7 years.
One note... always remove or cushion the plate when traveling, since the bouncing will make tiny flatspots on the wheel ring resulting in annoying SCREECHING sounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic014.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
I picked up 'my LITTLE GIRL' at an estate sale for $20!

It's 15"x15"x12" BUT it SURE doesn't fit into my tiny Compact's closet (about 12" wide) ...DARN!!!!

The only place it could go, is down in the cabinet on the floor, under the 2 kitchen drawers. I can just picture a Lucille Ball moment, trying to balance your plate, as you gracefully try to navigate down to the floor, with your butt sticking into the air...trying to open up and see the microwave control buttons.
Hmmmmm....where can I put HER?!!! In the Privacy Room...heating my coffee as I sit on the porta-potti?!!!
Hmmmmm...any ideas out there for ME and my little one?

PS There was a new Sharp model made (I think it's a Sharp) that's called The CUBE. It's adorable and comes in lots of bright neon colors, but pretty dang expensive!

BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
It's 15"x15"x12" BUT it SURE doesn't fit into my tiny Compact's closet (about 12" wide) ...DARN!!!!

The only place it could go, is down in the cabinet on the floor, under the 2 kitchen drawers. I can just picture a Lucille Ball moment, trying to balance your plate, as you gracefully try to navigate down to the floor, with your butt sticking into the air...trying to open up and see the microwave control buttons.
Hmmmmm....where can I put HER?!!! In the Privacy Room...heating my coffee as I sit on the porta-potti?!!!
Hmmmmm...any ideas out there for ME and my little one?

PS There was a new Sharp model made (I think it's a Sharp) that's called The CUBE. It's adorable and comes in lots of bright neon colors, but pretty dang expensive!

BB
The photo in post #6 is the Sharp "Half Pint"... AKA The CUBE, still it is about 14" cubed. It's predecessor was slightly smaller I think.
I have heard that GE makes a smaller unit, but I have not seen one.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That's my PLATE!! in the picture!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I am so glad this thread is here! We just replaced my old Sharp Half-pint in my house with my fiancee's microwave (ok, I'm embarrassed, I got it free 10 years ago, and was still using it). We put it in the shed for an upcoming garage sale, but now I know that a) it might work perfectly in our new-to-us camper, or b) I can sell it for more than garage sale prices! Who woulda thunk it? :
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #11

Registry
If it still rotates and has the plate, they are going for around 75.00 on ebay.

They still sell parts. We have two, one that we use and one that we did use that no longer rotates. For 50.00, we can fix it and sell it for a profit.

CindyL
Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Colorado
It still rotates and still has the plate! We may keep it, may sell it. Pardon the noob question: can you still use it if you're boondocking (that means camping without being plugged in, right)? I.e., can it run off the battery? Or do you need to be somewhere with a hookup?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #13

Registry
I don't know. We don't boondock. Sorry.

CindyL
Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
It's 500 watts or so - you'd need a pretty healthy inverter to run one, and it would probably run your battery flat in 25 minutes. It should run fine off a cheap Harbor Freight 700w generator, though.

Regards,

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It still rotates and still has the plate! We may keep it, may sell it. Pardon the noob question: can you still use it if you're boondocking (that means camping without being plugged in, right)? I.e., can it run off the battery? Or do you need to be somewhere with a hookup?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Microwaves don't like generators. Seriously a 700w genny will not run a 500w microwave, I know it should but it really doesn't work right, you could do it with a good inverter but it will kill the battery pretty quick. I have a 1000w microwave in my house that will not cook anything on a 3500w genny, and it didn't cook very well on the Generac 6500/8000w either.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
So, since we would need to run it while plugged in (or with a generator), two things that are unlikely, we're going to sell it. If anyone here is interested, let me know. I'll eventually list it in the for sale part of the site, and put on ebay.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #17

Registry
Are you sure that you might not want to keep it for times when you do plug in? They are not easy to come by.

CindyL
Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Matt--

We have one of those. I specifically went looking for that model because of the size. I found ours on craiglist. Aren't they great??
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half pint, microwave