Got my Sharp Half Pint Microwave - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Moderator
 
Matt in SV's Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Posts: 987
Registry
Got my Sharp Half Pint Microwave

I was browsing the thrift store next to where my daughter has her music lesson, and found a vintage Sharp Half Pint for $19, with the even rarer glass tray.

As CindyL said, it fits right in the wardrobe closet.

This isn't the oven in question but gives you an idea of what we're talking about. I think it measures 14x14x16 or something. 600 watts.

YouTube - Sharp Half Pint Microwave Oven for sale on eBay

My wife thought I was pretty nuts because you can get a 700 watt Micro at Walmart for $25 or so, but they don't fit in the closet! At least not in the operating orientation I guess there must be a lot of fiberglass RV'rs out there bceause people are selling these on Ebay for $75 or more.

SHARP R-IM53 HALF PINT CAROUSEL II MICROWAVE RV OFFICE | eBay

Regards,

Matt
__________________

__________________
Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,522
Registry
We use ours all the time. Kevin cooks on the grill while I make veggies in the microwave.

Too bad that they don't make them anymore. I have seen nothing that is as perfect. If you get the right version, the top is flat, so you can store things on top of it. We have ours on a shelf with a couple of Walmart plastic drawers underneath it.

You got a deal! I found one in a thrift shop last year, but we passed it by since we were not sure if it worked. Our original one had stopped spinning.

Parts are still available.

CindyL
__________________

__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,522
Registry
And actually, both of our Half Pints have been the one in the video.

CindyL
__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
My neighbor gave me one of those when I first moved out here, It is in my egg now.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Posts: 230
that microwave is sitting on my kitchen counter!

omg, that's the micro that is in our house, that we use every day! You mean I just bought a camper to go with it?
Thanks for the tip!
__________________
Doghaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I was browsing the thrift store next to where my daughter has her music lesson, and found a vintage Sharp Half Pint for $19, with the even rarer glass tray.

As CindyL said, it fits right in the wardrobe closet.

This isn't the oven in question but gives you an idea of what we're talking about. I think it measures 14x14x16 or something. 600 watts.

YouTube - Sharp Half Pint Microwave Oven for sale on eBay

My wife thought I was pretty nuts because you can get a 700 watt Micro at Walmart for $25 or so, but they don't fit in the closet! At least not in the operating orientation I guess there must be a lot of fiberglass RV'rs out there bceause people are selling these on Ebay for $75 or more.

SHARP R-IM53 HALF PINT CAROUSEL II MICROWAVE RV OFFICE | eBay

Regards,

Matt
We have that one in the loft, waiting for a project and the newer version in our Scamp Dluxe....
LOVE IT! It has worked well for 7 years.
One note... always remove or cushion the plate when traveling, since the bouncing will make tiny flatspots on the wheel ring resulting in annoying SCREECHING sounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic014.JPG  
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Posts: 406
I picked up 'my LITTLE GIRL' at an estate sale for $20!

It's 15"x15"x12" BUT it SURE doesn't fit into my tiny Compact's closet (about 12" wide) ...DARN!!!!

The only place it could go, is down in the cabinet on the floor, under the 2 kitchen drawers. I can just picture a Lucille Ball moment, trying to balance your plate, as you gracefully try to navigate down to the floor, with your butt sticking into the air...trying to open up and see the microwave control buttons.
Hmmmmm....where can I put HER?!!! In the Privacy Room...heating my coffee as I sit on the porta-potti?!!!
Hmmmmm...any ideas out there for ME and my little one?

PS There was a new Sharp model made (I think it's a Sharp) that's called The CUBE. It's adorable and comes in lots of bright neon colors, but pretty dang expensive!

BB
__________________
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
It's 15"x15"x12" BUT it SURE doesn't fit into my tiny Compact's closet (about 12" wide) ...DARN!!!!

The only place it could go, is down in the cabinet on the floor, under the 2 kitchen drawers. I can just picture a Lucille Ball moment, trying to balance your plate, as you gracefully try to navigate down to the floor, with your butt sticking into the air...trying to open up and see the microwave control buttons.
Hmmmmm....where can I put HER?!!! In the Privacy Room...heating my coffee as I sit on the porta-potti?!!!
Hmmmmm...any ideas out there for ME and my little one?

PS There was a new Sharp model made (I think it's a Sharp) that's called The CUBE. It's adorable and comes in lots of bright neon colors, but pretty dang expensive!

BB
The photo in post #6 is the Sharp "Half Pint"... AKA The CUBE, still it is about 14" cubed. It's predecessor was slightly smaller I think.
I have heard that GE makes a smaller unit, but I have not seen one.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,236
Registry
That's my PLATE!! in the picture!
__________________
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Posts: 127
I am so glad this thread is here! We just replaced my old Sharp Half-pint in my house with my fiancee's microwave (ok, I'm embarrassed, I got it free 10 years ago, and was still using it). We put it in the shed for an upcoming garage sale, but now I know that a) it might work perfectly in our new-to-us camper, or b) I can sell it for more than garage sale prices! Who woulda thunk it? :
__________________
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,522
Registry
If it still rotates and has the plate, they are going for around 75.00 on ebay.

They still sell parts. We have two, one that we use and one that we did use that no longer rotates. For 50.00, we can fix it and sell it for a profit.

CindyL
__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Posts: 127
It still rotates and still has the plate! We may keep it, may sell it. Pardon the noob question: can you still use it if you're boondocking (that means camping without being plugged in, right)? I.e., can it run off the battery? Or do you need to be somewhere with a hookup?
__________________
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,522
Registry
I don't know. We don't boondock. Sorry.

CindyL
__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #14
Moderator
 
Matt in SV's Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Posts: 987
Registry
It's 500 watts or so - you'd need a pretty healthy inverter to run one, and it would probably run your battery flat in 25 minutes. It should run fine off a cheap Harbor Freight 700w generator, though.

Regards,

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It still rotates and still has the plate! We may keep it, may sell it. Pardon the noob question: can you still use it if you're boondocking (that means camping without being plugged in, right)? I.e., can it run off the battery? Or do you need to be somewhere with a hookup?
__________________

__________________
Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
half pint, microwave


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egg Camper half closet rgrugg Modifications, Alterations and Updates 41 09-24-2012 11:48 AM
Sharp Half Pint Carousel Microwave for sale Ricky 4 Classified Archives 3 12-29-2010 01:30 PM
Winter ONLY Half Over Gerry General Chat 4 02-17-2008 04:19 AM
"and Half-Measures-Ain't My Style" Kristi Warner Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 09-29-2006 06:42 PM
Hey, mister! There's a fly in your pint! Legacy Posts Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 03-12-2003 11:56 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.