Great packet dinner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
We made these dinners and they turned out really good. I think I will try making them ahead at home next time. The biscuits really worked, I was skeptical.

1 serving cooked or raw meat of choice (I used a frozen hamburger patty)
2 potatoes cut up in to chunks (I used the little canned potatoes-easy to take)
3 carrots cut up into 1 inch chunks
1 tomato quartered (I used a big fat slice instead)
2 stalks of celery cut up
2 or 3 refridgerator bisquits

Double a 3ft chunk of foil. Place potatoes, celery, carrots on bottom, add meat and tomato. Top with seasoning to taste, then put biscuits on top. Fold foil closed leaving room for biscuits to raise a little, but make sure the foil is sealed. Throw the foil in the freezer until you go.
To cook, throw on coals for 30 minutes or so, making sure you know that the biscuits are on top.
Kenny&Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
This sounds good, and it fits with my "keep it simple" approach. (Plus, no dirty dishes! )
If you make it up ahead of time and freeze the foil packet, how long do you think it would keep before you should cook it, and what would the freezing do to the veggies and bisquits??
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Many moons ago, we called those hobo dinners. Brought back some lovely memories. We always used fresh veggies and such, so I would imagine you could freeze everything but the bisquits, as they don't hold very well, in my experience.

Bonnie
Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Not being one for cooked/heated/warm 'mators

I'd be looking to omit them from this recipe and using them instead in 'Mator Sannys, either toasted bread/buns with about 1/8lb of smoked back in it!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:58 AM   #5

Roger on the bisquits. Sounds like popping them in before cooking would be the best way to go.
I like the idea of using canned potatoes. I remember those Hobo dinners - my spuds were always half-raw, but they were good anyway.

Now, does anyone remember bread on a stick? Burnt (excuse me, extra golden brown) on the outside, and gooey on the inside?? Mighty tasty when you're 10. I wonder, now that I am substantially older than 10, if I could cook one properly?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Now, does anyone remember bread on a stick? Burnt (excuse me, extra golden brown) on the outside, and gooey on the inside?? Mighty tasty when you're 10.
Hadn't thought about this food....in years! Bring on the butter and blackberry jam
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #7

Oh man. Bread on a stick. Good stuff that. Wonder if the neighbors will think I've flipped?

Bonnie
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
In Girl Scouts we used to make a hobo dinner but, we used a metal coffee can, (do they even have them anymore?) and added a can of Veggie soup, water and browned hamburger, covered with foil, and put over a fire! YUMMY!! and more importantly SIMPLE!!!

Wanted to use pie irons the other week when we took the niece and nephew camping, but I went to 3 stores and they were all out of pie irons!! I'll keep shopping!!
Al & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler 13 ft
To Doug - You are not alone in the "I don't care for cooked tomatoes" club. I make a dish that calls for cooked toms and substitute mild home made salsa instead. Have never heard a complaint. I think with the packet dinners that would work just fine, and add some kick to the flavor of the meat and potatoes.
Marilyn Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Send a message via Yahoo to mikecontos
Quote:
To Doug - You are not alone in the "I don't care for cooked tomatoes" club. I make a dish that calls for cooked toms and substitute mild home made salsa instead. Have never heard a complaint. I think with the packet dinners that would work just fine, and add some kick to the flavor of the meat and potatoes.
I take a thin chicken breast (boneless skinless) put it on foil. I then add a slice of onion shake of salt and pepper drizell of olive oil, a squirt of lemon juice , small diced tomato, about 1 tablespoon, some sliced black olive.

Next I fold the foil excepy for a hole at the top. I then poour in a little white wine, seal it up real good and throw in an oven or on a grill. All of the stuff inside cobines to make a KILLER sauce. These can be made at home and cooked at the campsite. It tastes very complex and presents as a semi elaborate dish, but it is really very simple.
Mike
mikecontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Send a message via Yahoo to mikecontos
Quote:
Roger on the bisquits. Sounds like popping them in before cooking would be the best way to go.
I like the idea of using canned potatoes. I remember those Hobo dinners - my spuds were always half-raw, but they were good anyway.
Now, does anyone remember bread on a stick? Burnt (excuse me, extra golden brown) on the outside, and gooey on the inside?? Mighty tasty when you're 10. I wonder, now that I am substantially older than 10, if I could cook one properly?
PLEASE tell me more about how to make bread on a stick!
Mike
mikecontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
PLEASE tell me more about how to make bread on a stick!
Mike
Take canned biscuits. Take a sturdy stick (1/2" or so). Make sure to peel the bark off the cooking part (end ) of the stick. Wrap biscuit dough around the stick and forming a shell. Stick into heat source -- in my case fire pit -- and turn watching to keep from burning. Once it's cooked to your satisfaction pull the tube of biscuit off the stick end and stuff it with whatever. Butter or jam. Enjoy.

Bonnie
Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If you've not tried it, get some Reynolds Wrap Release aluminum foil. It has a non-stick side and works great with packet meals.

Tom Trostel
Old 08-17-2007, 03:41 AM   #14

For bread on a stick, you can also use gooey Bisquick. But canned biscuits work better.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
I like it with cinnamin and sugar rather than jelly.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote