Grilled pheasant last night - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2003, 07:28 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Grilled pheasant last night

One of my favorite ways to prepare pheasant (any other game bird or even chicken will also work) is to filet the breast and cut in strips about 3/4" wide. You may spce up the strips as you like while they wait to cook.

Heat a well-seasoned iron skillet with either olive oil or Pam (olive oil flavor the best IMO) until the oil begins to smoke slightly. Put on the strips. You may want to cover the pan with a piece of alumifoil to control splatters, although there really isn't that much. When the strips are grilled on the first side to your satisfaction (I like mine browned), turn them and apply salsa or chile verde sauce (my favorite!) across the strips. Cover with foil. Cook a minute or so and turn off the burner. Put skillet on trivet or wooden cutting board and take to table.

My wife likes to cut up the strips and put them on one of her world-beating green salads. My preference is to lightly grill some blue-corn tortillas while the strips are cooking and roll them up, with the sauce, in the hot, grilled tortillas.

This is an easy, quick meal with super-fast clean-up. Don't taste too bad, either!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:28 AM   #2

Robert:
Are you sure you are not from Texas?, that recipe sounds too good . I think I'll try it with some wild turkey I have in the freezer.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #3

Robert, Y'all have blue corn tortillas in Pennsylvania? That's amazing!

:sunny

Old 03-21-2003, 04:42 PM   #4

Mary

We have a couple of Mexican groceries hereabouts. One of 'em has a little café in the back. Nobody but local Mexicans goes there. Me, too, of course. (One county over is big-time orchard country, so we have lots of resident as well as seasonal migrant Mexican folks.) Had lunch there today: chicken enchilada with salsa picante, white beans, and rice. The cook comes out and sits down and we chat. Very friendly folk. I like to shop there. Spent the rest of the afternoon hunting for more grillable pheasant but was almost too full to move so the dog had to do most of the work!