Grilling or BBQ? (Topic Split) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Grilling or BBQ? (Topic Split)

Moderator's note: This topic is a spin-off from Cobb BBQ - Cooking with a Cobb Barbecue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What is the purpose of those "Grill Grates"? As in, what's the difference between those and the grills that come with the Q?
Looks like harder to clean.
Not wanting to "rewrite" all the information and particulars about them is the reason why I included a convenient link to their website. It has all the information about them, and a lot more of it, than I would care to spend half a day typing.

http://www.grillgrate.com/
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I went to the link. Didn't see a reason to replace grills that come with BBQ. Also, looks like more work to clean with all those holes.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Well, FWIW, they just very easily brush clean, and nobody said you had to buy them Glenn.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Whatever. I won't be buying them because I haven't read a reason to do so. No need to take offense.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Sorry Glenn, but I meant no offense. They may not be what everyone wants, I merely offered it up as informational to those who may want to consider them as an option. Obviously, they may not be everybody's cup of tea. I had no intention of offending you or anyone else. Just thought there may be some interest to other members. No harm-No foul.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Now this is my idea of BBQ

Greg...I hear ya' brother

I agree..BBQ is low and slow...I have cooked brisket, pork butts, ribs, cold smoked cheese...and this is my idea of a cooker.

I take the mini Big Green Egg Camping
Attached Thumbnails
mini.jpg  

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

I just wanted to know the advantage over the grills that came with the Q.
Of course, the web site is going to say it's the greatest, or gratest, but I was interested in why you felt they are worthwhile.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
Sweet setup Bill. Frankly, I just don't know how anyone would ever achieve an indirect heat zone on a cooker that is only a foot in diameter (Cobb comes to mind here?) to be able to do true barbecue. I do like your "toys" though.

My stuff:
Weber Genesis stainless steel 4 burner grill (with Grill Grates on half and a cast iron flat-top, aka "plancha,") on the other half.

PK Grill Aluminum Charcoal Grill, (also with with Grill Grates.)

2 Weber "Go Anywhere" grills - one propane and one charcoal, (also with a shared set of Grill Grates.)

3 different Camp Chef stoves, (1 burner, 2 burner, and a 3 burner models.) with single and double flat tops and covered grill attachment (also with Grill Grates.)

Bubba's stainless steel indirect heat, (a real BBQ,) grill.

And several other various grilling and barbecuing appliances and all the stuff that goes with it all.

Eat your heart out Bobby Flay!

(And no, I have no affiliation with the Grill Grates manufacturer, other than I really love cooking on them.)
Old 09-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

Mine is Weber Summit Gold with four burners, a smoker burner and a side burner that's rarely used.
I keep all my receipts and the manual and discovered that the 10 year warranty on the burners was about to lapse. Sent photos of the burners to Weber and they replaced the entire set.
I'm good for another ten years except that the body has a few holes in it. I used duct tape ( aluminum duct - not duck ) to patch it up.
The Q has lived outdoors it's entire life.
I love being able to control the heat for indirect cooking. For ribs, I use only the smoker burner. For chicken I'll use the smoker burner and one or two burners as needed.
I'm not sure my neighbour understands the need to BBQ.

Gave my Weber Baby Q and my Dickinson Spitfire to son-in-law and replaced them with a two-burner Napoleon for camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Summit Gold.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm not sure my neighbour understands the need to BBQ.
It's kind of like having a big backyard party, you invite the neighbors too, no problems. A great BBQ dinner will explain it to them .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
I agree, and Weber's have always been great grills. I have more than a few myself. If you can't create at least a minimum of a two area indirect heat in your cooking appliance, then it's awfully hard to create a good atmosphere for creating good barbecue, and it can't be achieved over a "direct heat" source without it making the meat come out like chewing on a Nike sneaker.
I also had a Weber Baby Q for a while, but I refurbished it and gave it to one of the boys. Napoleons are really nice grills too. Not cheap either, but you get what you pay for.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #12

Registry
Greg ..what are these Girl grates of which you speak?

Greg,

Are we talking about BBQ or grilling. You know there are two styles of BBQ.

You can either do it dry or if you do it right and take your time it can be very wet

My assumption is these Girl grates are not for BBQ...but more for the succulent caramelization known as a sear on your big piece of meat.

Now.... I am most certain.... that you take a long time to rubbing and patting your meat in anticipation for the big event. I hear they use that technique a lot ...out around your neck of the woods.

I am not certain how they do it up north but around these parts real men don't need to use Girl grates to achieve such perfection....we are a tougher bunch in the mid-west...we prefer a sear using the caveman technique. (see first pic)

As far as indirect...even on the Mini Big Green Egg we use a "plate setter" (2nd pic)and cook in the dome. We can separate the fuel into two zones (3rd pic). I have had many Weber grills in my 57 years..(great products) I could never "grill" in February when it is down to zero degrees....where the Green Eg retain so much heat...I gril or BBQ all year long.

Your friend always

Bill

(p.s. my favorite campground is laying off 1,500 bookkeeping and accounting positions)
Attached Thumbnails
Caveman.jpg   indirect.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #13

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Greg,
Are we talking about BBQ or grilling. You know there are two styles of BBQ.

My assumption is these Girl grates are not for BBQ...but more for the succulent caramelization known as a sear on your big piece of meat.

Bill
Your assumption is correct Bill, they are primarily designed for grilling, hence the name Grill Grates. They aren't designed, per se, to be BBQ grates, but are used for getting that "Maillard effect" on your food, like the umami flavor you get from char broiled stuff. That's why I also have the regular wire grills as well for other types and methods of cooking, but they can't be beat for getting great sear marks. You can even turn them over and use them upside down as a good hot flat top as well.

BBQ, as you already also know, is "low and slow," whereas the Grill Grates are for faster high heat cooking. If I'm doing a brisket or ribs or tri-tips for example, I would not use the Grill Grates for those applications. But if you want good carmelization, they're the ticket.
Greg
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #14

Registry
Girl grates or Grill Grates?

Real men don't use those ...do they?

I have them and they work great.....a marinated Flank steak..
Attached Thumbnails
grill grates.jpg  

Old 09-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #15

Washington
Registry
Right on Bill. I wouldn't have thought that you would be "holding out" on me.

BTW, Nice grill marks on that meat in the egg!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #16

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Grilling or BBQ? (Topic Split)

I enjoy BBQing. I own several small grills for camping including the Weber BabyQ, Cobb and others. My favorite is the Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill. I can grill, bake, and BBQ with it. My favorite is BBQing, just set it and forget it. In my opinion, the taste is also better. BBQing with the Go-Anywhere allows me to have juicy, flavorful, and tender meats. You can see the juicy cut and the deep red outer smoke ring in the pictures. I've made Cornish Hens, chicken, pork shoulders, brisket, fish, baby back ribs, turkey breasts, and cakes. I just put a small amount of charcoal with a small piece of smoking wood on one side, and the meat on the other. The Cobb is also great for BBQ.
Marky
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476587769.151136.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	100636Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476587923.656273.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	100637Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476588216.922218.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	100638Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476588330.743227.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	100640

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476588267.875179.jpg  
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hmmmm
Lots of ways to cook food, portable and not so portable. Between cooker types and cooking utensils I'd hate to add up my investment. We start as simple as a wiener on a stick, one of those four sided wire toasters, and a pie iron and go nuts from there. Who has a Raemco 7 in 1 stove that can not only cook food but will heat your tent or tiny trapping cabin? With coal. What is coal anyway?
And then there's that World War 1 trench mess kit that could keep you going for a long time with a few sticks, tinder box and flint and steel. YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
BBQ woodflame

I have this one since many years anf l really love it

Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #19

Washington
Registry
Interesting grill. Although I do speak a little Spanish, admittedly, my French is dismally poor. But the video is visual enough to make up for my lingual shortcomings. It seems to really crank out a lot of heat, which is really good for steaks and thinner cuts, but I'm not sure how good it would work for a low-heat application like slow cooking or true BBQ'ing, (where you would want the application of low heat over a long time.) The "chimney" section kind of looks to me to be constructed almost like a section of double-walled wood stove chimney stack. When it got up to a ripping high flame, it looks like I could melt lead for fishing weights on it.
Looks like you can make some good steaks on it though.

And that's some good lookin' BBQ there Marky, but then I would expect no less from a true Texan! I also "collect" too many outdoor cooking appliances, (according to my wife,) but for "camping" I also own two of those Weber Go-Anywhere grilles, one that uses propane and one that uses charcoal. Other than that, they are twins. They're really great little heat sources for cooking and each has it's strong points, depending on what you are making. So, what time is dinner?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
English version here:
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote