Habinero Strawberry Chicken - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2003, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Habinero Strawberry Chicken

Sorry Guys I forgot to Post this as a new Topic I'll try again
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
In a large covered Bowl, or Ziplock Freezer bag put
The chicken parts (parts is parts)
1 cup Habinero Salsa
3/4 cup Strawberry Preserves
1/4 to 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
Allow to marianade a couple of hours, In the fridge,(all day if you have the patience)
Poke lots of holes in the chicken sitting in the sauce, to allow the flavors to penetrate.
Grill, after flipping the first time baste with the left over marianade, allow to caramalize.
If you do this on a grill and use the ziplock bag the only cleanup is the fork
Goes Great with Wild Rice.
Guys I tried this yesterday with regular Salsa, it is ok but the Habinero makes it really great.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:12 AM   #2

Geez

What is it with you Texans. Us simple Canadians don't have a clue as to what Habinero Salsa is.

I gotta try this recipe. Sue only eats chicken (no red meats) and it drives my carnivore instincts crazy. :o

Old 03-07-2003, 06:11 AM   #3

A life without

habaneros, jalapeños, chilipequins, anaheims, anchos, seranos, et al is a life wasted!

;)

Old 03-07-2003, 06:11 AM   #4

I don't know what Habinero Salsa is either, and I live a little closer to Texas, last time I checked.:E

Old 03-07-2003, 06:16 AM   #5

I don't eat anything that I can't spell.Rick send him one of our little Salmon.;) :wave

Old 03-07-2003, 06:28 AM   #6

Ahhhh!

Salmon with habanero sauce! Excellent!

Old 03-07-2003, 08:36 AM   #7

Habinero

Habinero Salsa is a very spicey (north of Dallas translate that to Hot)
salsa made with habinero peppers. It has less tomatos in it and a slightly browner color than the nore widely used salsas. I get mine from Jardines down in Buda Texas. They sell it in local stores and ship world wide. They have probably 30 different salsas. I bought 500 jars of the peach salsa and Rasberry salsa last year for business giveaways. While I was in their offices I bought several different salsas to try. The Habinero was my favorite for meat dishes, the peach or pineapple salsa are great sweet dipping salsas. Great stuff. Tastes good and clears up any sinus problems all at one time.

Old 03-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Orginally posted by Chester Taje

I don't eat anything that I can't spell.Rick send him one of our little Salmon.;) :wave
just the farmed ones right Ches? :o

Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick

What is it with you Texans. Us simple Canadians don't have a clue as to what Habinero Salsa is.

I gotta try this recipe. Sue only eats chicken (no red meats) and it drives my carnivore instincts crazy. :o
Rick,

I advise caution. On the hotness scale (1 to 10), jalapeños are about a six. Hanañeros are about a twelve. They're closer to toxic waste than food. :nono

If you ever buy any of the peppers, borrow a clean-room suit from one of your customers to wear while preparing them.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:09 AM   #10

Down here we sometimes refer to Habenero peppers as nuclear peppers, but they do taste good. Make a serious salsa, and otherwise light up our lives.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charlie Crouchet

Down here we sometimes refer to Habenero peppers as nuclear peppers, but they do taste good. Make a serious salsa, and otherwise light up our lives.
Charlie,

Nuclear waste can light up your lives, too. :laugh

Seriously, I agree that they taste good. Chipotles have a similar taste and they're only about a three on the hotness scale.

If one of these Canadians is seriously injured, we could have an international incident. :duck You Texicans are immune to that stuff. :weep

Old 03-11-2003, 09:41 AM   #12

Morgan

If I am not mistaken "chipotle" does not refer to a specific type of pepper, but the manner of preparing them. Chipotles are peppers that have been smoked before being prepared. The most popular variety of pepper to receive the chipotle treatment is the jalapeño, probably because they are cheap and plentiful. Tabasco has just introduced a very good jalapeño chipotle sauce which you should be able to find in your grocery store.

BTW, jalapeños usually score about 40,000 units or so on the Scovill hotness scale. Habañeros routinely score in the 200,000 to 250,000 range. The key to using habañeros successfully is to "buffer" them properly. Most commercial preparations make extensive use of chopped carrots for this buffering. If we ever get together I will share some of my top-secret habañero meat sauce and you will be hooked for life. You may also light up a bit, but I guarantee you will be happy!

Old 03-11-2003, 10:06 AM   #13

I agree, the Habenero does need some buffering, unless you are into unnecessary pain. That is one of the functions of the sugar in the Strawberry preserves. For some reason sugar lowers the bite of the pepper but leaves the flavor. I expect a chemist among us could explain it scientifically. I just do what works.
The Chipolte does mean "smoked" they sell a lot of different peppers that way down here. I like to run a few in the blender then add to my chili, can create some serious good tasting chili with different peppers.
I am trying one tonight for my daughters birthday, venison,beef, and smoked pork chili We will see if her husband is willing to eat it, poor little Kansas boy. But so far he seems trainable.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:38 AM   #14

You guys are serious chile heads. I was making a joke and I should know one doesn't joke about a mans chiles or his chili.

Chili is my favorite food. Somewhere on here, I posted Lee's recipe for Pedernales Valley Chili. She copied it from a national magazine and improved it (that was when LBJ and Ladybird were in the White House.

You should try that recipe. Do a search forum for "Pedernales." It's a river in Texas.

Robert, as an Irishman, you should eat stew, not chili. :o Lest you take offense, Irish Stew is one of my favorite foods.

Charlie, I've been busy lately and haven't been posting much since you joined. Those on here who know me, never take me very seriously. :wine

Old 03-11-2003, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Orginally posted by Robert Brummett
Chipotles are peppers that have been smoked before being prepared.
smoked?? do you dry them first? well of course you would or they wouldn't light. sounds strange to me. I thought you ate them. :crazy-ii

Old 03-11-2003, 05:05 PM   #16

Uh...

Jana, Jana, Jana!

:o

Old 03-11-2003, 07:41 PM   #17

I know, I shouldn't say things like that, but they just happen.:huh

Old 03-11-2003, 08:57 PM   #18

Morgan, The Pedernales River is just a few miles from my house, in fact I have to cross ti to get to my place in Marble Falls. I will look up the chili recipe, I like to try new recipes when I can.
And Jana... If you are willing to try to smoke a habenero I want to watch, it's been a long time since I saw someone explode.
Now if you want to see some serious chili cooking we have a couple of cookoffs down here. The one in Dripping Springs last year brought out a couple of firemen who made serious chili. I think firemen must like it as hot inside as outside.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:38 AM   #19

habanero

:wave something was bothering me about the spelling of habanero on this site, so looked it up.
we have been growing, but mostly buying, habanero's for several years. a local grower will sell us a box, about 13 lbs, for about $25.00. and that's less than cost to grow. the first year, we wore rubber gloves, sliced & diced before dehydrating. then we took them inside to grind up. biiig mistake. Lora wears contacts and had problems for a long time. we now wear heavier golves and just split them and dry. we have not made any salsa but use it in everything we eat and for medicinal purposes.:cool

Old 03-13-2003, 12:07 PM   #20

Lou,

I'd be interested in hearing about the medicinal uses of habaneros, if you don't mind.

Similar to your experience, I once plopped a dozen or so dried jalapeño pods into my blender and ground them up (lid on, of course!). Then, when I took the lid off it cleared the room like a tear gas bomb— which of course it was! I don't do it that way any more.

I grow my own habaneros, but find that four good plants will provide more than I need for a year.

Try this sometime, it makes a great meat sauce for chicken and beef and is spectacular on pork loin: chop fresh habaneros into tiny cubes about 1/8" square. Mix with honey and heat the mixture until the honey is almost bubbling. Let it simmer without boiling for about ten minutes. Stir throughout. Let cool and bottle. Start small. I suggest about 3 TBSP of honey and a little less than 1 TBSP of chopped pepper. Vary proportions to taste after your first test batch. You can freeze it, although it also keeps well in the fridge. I think you'll find it worth trying. It's a standard condiment around our place.