Hay box? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Name: Lorelei
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Hay box?

I collect vintage cookbooks, and I recently got a reprint of all the pamphlet cookbooks that the British gov put out during war & post-war rationing. They mention using a "hay box" for slow cooking and conserving fuel. This ancient idea (I had to google it!) would work well for off grid camping as well. Insulation was originally hay or grass, but newspaper or woodchips would work. The cookbook suggests using a gas mask box! I was thinking amazon box or a box that a small appliance came in. I'm going to give it a go with maybe a bean pot.
Lorelei L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Also searching "thermal cooker" will return numerous good ideas on building your own with blankets, foam, or sleeping bags. Lots of receipts too.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
wow very interesting. I had to google it too. I'd like to know how it works out.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

Name: Lorelei
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
I would think staying away from synthetics for the insulation would be wise, because you bring the pot to a full boil right before you put it in and close it.
Lorelei L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
The "hay box" slow cooking method was often used on the wagon trains that moved west during the mid-1800's. The cooking would be started using the morning fire, the cooking pot with the heated food would be placed in the insulated box, and set in the covered wagon. Once reaching the evening camp, the meal now cooked could be quickly heated and served. Applewood Books has a reprint of "The Fireless Cook Book" , M. J. Mitchell, 1913.
Another interesting book from Applewood, is a reprint of "The Prairie Traveler- A Handbook for Overland Exxpeditions ", R. B. Marcy, Capt U.S. Army, 1859
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Did it many years ago in a cooler with boy scouts. hay box stew it worked out very well on a fall camp.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote