Homemade Ice Cream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2003, 08:13 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Homemade Ice Cream

When I was a kid we made homemade ice cream in a syrup bucket that had a lid and bail. Poured the ice cream into a clean syrup bucket and sealed it tight with the original lid that came with the bucket. Placed the syrup bucket in a larger bucket, poured ice and salt round it. Twisted the bail of the syrup bucket from side to side and after a reasonable time carefully removed the lid to check on how frozen it was. Seems to always need more twisting of the bail. Finally froze with the hardest being against the sides of the syrup bucket. What a treat it was!!:cblob Anyone else ever heard of this or done it?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:59 PM   #2

I saw this done with coffee cans once. and you were to kick the can back and forth between two people, or I guess you could just roll it back and forth. I went as far as to collect the cans, but Tom made me use the electric icecream freezer. he said there was no way I would want to roll that thing around, and he sure wasn't helping.
I'll have to think about the pail idea.

Old 06-25-2003, 05:58 AM   #3

Lid

Tell me more about how you can do it with a coffee can. No, I certainly do not intend to do it but just curious. What kind of lid and how did it stay on? Was there a small can inside a large can? Where did the ice go? What container was the ice cream in? Look what you opened up!! All this proves is there is more than one way to achieve a bowl of ice cream....... I love it.:inbox

Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 AM   #4

Ride a Bike

Last month I saw a family making homemade ice cream using a regular handcrank ice cream maker. The thing that made it cool was they had removed the handle and replaced it with a cog. They had taken one of the kid's bicycles and removed the back tire and placed it on a bike stand. The chain then was placed around the cog. As a kid peddled, the cog turned! More than one way to get the kids to work for their dessert! I think this would be a fun thing to do at a ScampCamp.:inbox

Old 06-25-2003, 06:57 AM   #5

I have the handcrank freezer, Donna. Do you have a bike? Sounds like a great idea!

:jump

Old 06-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #6

You figured it out, Dene. use the small can inside a lage can with the ice cream inside the small and use the plastic lids they all come with now. ice and salt around it inside the large can. Tom always thought the lids wouldn't hold and the salt would get in the ice cream, or you would kick it too hard and the lids would leak. He didn't want to waste good ice cream mixing to find out.

I like the bike idea. that could be fun. got to start checking those garage sales for a handcranker.

Old 06-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #7

Pedaling your Ice Cream around town?

Could that be where the term ''Ice Cream Peddler'' came from?

:lol :lol :lol

I have such ''sweet'' memories of making Ice Cream with my Dad and others at special occasions. One time Dad brought me a big bowl of ''ice cream'' and when I downed a big spoonful, it turned out to be COLD MASHED POTATOES. i thought my Dad would die laughing. Can you imagine the sensory trainwreck I experienced? It probably accounts for how twisted I am.

Nothing better that Homemade Ice Cream with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup and Soda Crackers.

Old 06-25-2003, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas and Janifer

got to start checking those garage sales for a handcranker.
But, we never did figure out what to do with the brine... besides let it evaporate.

Store it up in an old milk jug (or three) and pitch it in the dumpster? :shg

Old 06-25-2003, 05:34 PM   #9

Ice cream

Keith

When I was a boy they had three wheel bicycles with a box full of dry ice and icecream mounted on the back that they pedaled around and sold ice cream from

Old 06-25-2003, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
But, we never did figure out what to do with the brine... besides let it evaporate.

Evaporating would be fine if it dont hurt the wood bucket (I dont know if it does or not) but the residue would just make less salt needed for next time.

I would just dump it on top of the salt in my water softener, barring that, dump it down the sink but I wouldnt if you have a septic system. Avoid throwing it in the dumpster, that just goes to the landfill.

HTH
Rich

Old 06-25-2003, 07:41 PM   #11

Coffee can ice cream

Ok, so hasn't anyone else been a Girl Scout Leader? :conf The two can method works great- just secure the lid on the inner can with the old stand by for all true scout repairs- Duct Tape!
It does work really well to roll the can back and forth between people as long as you are gentle. (Kicking will cause it to break open!:sad ) Of course, only those who help roll the get any of the ice cream:r .

The recipe was really easy- I just don't have it handy right now:shg - I remember that it took a cup of milk (one school lunch carton), one cup of cream, some sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla per small coffee can.

Now I'm going to have to dig out my old scouting books to find the proportions for the sugar, and the amount of chocolate syrup for chocolate ice cream.
Thanks for the memories.
Grama Pat

Old 06-25-2003, 09:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rich

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:

Evaporating would be fine if it dont hurt the wood bucket (I dont know if it does or not) but the residue would just make less salt needed for next time.

I would just dump it on top of the salt in my water softener, barring that, dump it down the sink but I wouldnt if you have a septic system. Avoid throwing it in the dumpster, that just goes to the landfill.

HTH
Rich[/quote]

Thanks for at least trying, Rich!

Yes, I'm on a septic system at home. :wak

But, really, what bothers me is what to do with the brine if you're out camping. That's why I suggested the dumpster... In a National Forest there's no way I'd pour it on a driveway, etc. (probably illegal anyway). We spilled some in our grass at home once, and it took years for the spot to recover...

The evap. method wouldn't be too efficient if you were on the move... although pouring it in a jug and toting it home would work. Once there I could let it evaporate, I guess. But, once evaporated I was just going to throw the salt away... that, too, would end up in the landfill.

:sad

Old 06-26-2003, 06:28 AM   #13

Brine

Rather than dispose of the brine, how about putting it in a container you could then stick back in your home freeezer. The next time you wish to make ice cream, dig it out and reuse?? (Or..ship it to Minnesota and they can use it on the roads in the wintertime!! hahahaha):jester

Old 06-26-2003, 10:37 AM   #14

ship it to Minnesota :laugh
can't you see it, all those little boxes, full of salt with an ice cream smell, showing up at the highway department.

everytime someone says **let it dry**, that thought of reuse did come to mind, but left quickly. :lol

Old 06-26-2003, 06:39 PM   #15

Sorry I was not of help Mary. Couple of points to remember though, even if you take the brine home you should recycle the plastic jug. You could ask a plumber in your area if it is legal to discharge water softener water on the surface, it is in my state and the brine is just water softener discharge. If illegal or you are afraid of killing the grass, stick a spade in the ground and pour the brine in avoiding the grass and the roots. I would be in hog heaven if salt water would kill grass and expecally weeds around here. Packing it home again sounds like the best answer, whatever I take out, I take back even if they have dumpsters.

HTH
Rich

Old 06-27-2003, 08:47 AM   #16

You can very carefully pour brine over the cracks in the sidewalk to kill the weeds there. Gotta be really careful it doesn't run though!

Old 06-28-2003, 10:27 AM   #17

Now as I understand it when you are making home made icecreme, Fresh Peach?, maybe. You are actually assembling the brine to be used as an edging for killing the grass in the seams of the driveway and the sidewalk. So this can all be classified as doing yard work. I like that plan, in fact I may be forced to impliment it today. I am also going to set up my backyard insect fogging screen which is provided by using a 55 gallon barrell with oak wood burning under pieces of meat to provide the requesite fumes. OH My a day of yard work is ahead of me.....I better administer a cooling broth of hopps and barley to myself to prepare for all this work...Have a good weekend...:cheers

Old 08-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #18

How about some recipes?

I just stumbled into this thread and this really sounds interesting. Has anyone come up with some recipes for using a one pound coffee can? I can justify carrying a one pound can inside a three pound can while on the road. And if I really work at it, I could make enough ice overnight to pack between the two cans. Patricia, have you found your recipes yet? - John -

« Tofu | Soups On »