How do you cook corn? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
I have to try the milk..how much?

I do use sugar..having been born and raised in Michigan then spending most of my life in Florida, the corn I never thought was as sweet as the "Bread and Butter" corn from the farmer's market.

I guess I do mine a bit differently...

I add 1/3 cup of sugar ... bring the water to a boil, TURN OFF/remove from the burner THEN add my corn.. allowing the corn to heat from the already boiled water....about 10min or so in the hot water..

LOTSA butter and salt...YUMMY
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Carolyn, A splash or two, Enough to make the water white. Not 2% white but Whole Milk white. It really does make the corn juicier and as you know the sugar makes it sweet. So you get juicy sweet corn on the cob. Yummmmmmmmmmmy! I don't know why it works, my SIL started us doing it 35 years ago and I can tell when it's not been cooked that way. Enjoy! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
I soak mine in water for 24 hrs then bbq it...it's the only way to have corn!!

https://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
My wife offers this microwave method:

Quote:
How do I cook corn?

The quick, simple and easy way: using the microwave oven.

I remove all the silk and husk off the corn, break the corn into 2 halves, then place them in a semi-deep dish (a pie dish is perfect!), pour in a table spoon of water, cover the dish tightly with Saran wrap, poke a few holes on the wrap with a folk. No sugar or salt needed.

Depending on the oven wattage, it takes about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes for an ear but if there are more than 2 ears then it will take about 3 minutes per ear so do your calculation accordingly (for instance: 4 whole ears (8 little pieces) will take about 12 minutes but 3 whole ears might take more than 9 minutes.

I normally set the timer a little less than the time I calculated, and then I check for the doneness by looking at the corn after the initial time. If everything looks transparent, them the corn is well cooked. If some part of the corn might look opaque then more time is needed. Normally it will need another minute or two (assuming your calculation is fairly accurate in the first place!).

Be sure to let it sit a bit to cool, and watch your fingers on that hot Saran wrap!

Kathy
Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
I just put them on the BBQ (not removing the silk), rotate them, and in 10 minutes they are ready.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #26

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
You peel back the husks and remove the silk. Wrap the corn in bacon slide the husks back over the corn and bacon. Typically you would use some butcher string to tie the ends. Cook over slow wood fire, like coals, not a hot flaming fire. Preferably hard wood, like oak or birch for smoking, rather than pine. Once the corn is done, remove the husks. Usually, depending on the heat, the bacon will not be crispy. Depending on how you like it, you may want to grill it, or put it in tin foil in the fire. Either way, you have some bacon.

Now for the corn the BEST way to butter corn is to lavishly spread butter on a piece of bread. And I mean, LAVISHLY. Then put the corn into the bread in the palm of your hand, and wrap the bread around the corn and spin it in the bread. If you want more butter, just spread more on there.

Then take the bread, and grill it for a couple of minutes over the fire. The butter will give it a nice toasty-ness.

Along with the potatoes, which is a different story....
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too prefer to soak it a bit, then on to the grill or the coals. Boiling takes too much of the flavour out I find.

Adding sugar or milk to corn? Sounds blasphemous to me.
Good corn needs no help. I do like a bit of butter and fresh ground pepper though.

For buttering corn, I prefer to use a basting brush with softened butter on it.

I also love eating a fresh picked cob of sweet corn raw. It is soooo juicy and tasty.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #28

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Lots of good information on corn here As i have been growing and selling corn since I was 11 and am 76 now I am quite familiar with it . Of coarse the first corns were simply the field corns and we then boiled them in sugar water to add sweetness but the new variates don't need sugar added I do like to soak mine in salt water for a while and whether you roast boil or microwave it is up to the individual. The simplest is microwave. My favorite is an old corn called Zea Mays it is a very long cob ans smaller in diameter making it easier to eat off the cob it needs no sugar just salt and butter I grow other kinds also as there are so many Hybrids out there that arent much different. of coarse the sooner consumed after picking is best .Within 3 or 4 hrs is best and it loses quality fast after that
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
If I've got a microwave handy, I cut off each end, leave the husks intact, and cook on high in the microwave for 5 minutes. (Six minutes if cooking 3 ears at a time.) Take them out of the 'wave and wrap in a dish towel for another five minutes or so (while you 'wave the next 2 or 3 ears). Admittedly, they're hot when you shuck them, so you'll want to continue to handle them with the help of another dish towel.

It's important to let them steam in their husks that extra 5 (or more) minutes.

I've also done as suggested above: cut off the ends, soak briefly in water and put directly on the grill while also cooking the evening meal's entree.

This is exactly how I do mine too. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but it is really great this way.

Karen
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
KISS

My Grandmother gave me this advice: "Run out to the garden and pick some corn. Run Back. If you trip on the way back throw the corn away, go back and pick some more...."

The most important thing is to get fresh corn. Poke a kernel - if it squirts its fresh, if it mushes it is not.

That being said, my two favorite ways to cook corn are:

1. Husk, de-silk, drop in boiling water for 4 minutes. Serve. Butter and salt to taste at table.

2. Peel back, but do not remove husk. De-silk. Coat with butter. Recover with husk - fasten with ties of striped husk or string. Grill, turning every 4 -5 min., for 12 - 15 min. MMMMMMMM (O.K. to brown husk and some kernels).

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler 1984
We just got home from a trip across the Prairies and back. My wife picked up some fresh corn at a road-side stand and after a bit [10 seconds] of thought I stripped back the husk and removed the silk. I then rolled back the husk into place and tied it with a small strip of husk and placed the cobs into a large ziplok bag with enough water to cover and let stand for an hour or two. With the griddle stove on high we let them steam in their wrapping for about 10 or 12 minutes. Worked well!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Anyone had deep fried corn on the cob? I had it a few weeks ago at a fish fry and was very skeptacle about trying it until everyone else tried it. (peer pressure) I tried it and it was fantastic. I am sure it is not heart healthy, but tell me one thing that tastes good that is healthy. They deep fried it in one of those big turkey fryers at 350 degrees for about 5-10 minutes or until someone remembered it was in the fryer. It went very well with 2010 Bud light and fried fish! LOL

I know, you are about to get sick, but trust me, it was good!
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Mark, that is an interesting idea. I deep fry turkeys all the time. Properly done, there is no greasiness at all to it, and I assume the same would be for corn. I would imagine 5 minutes is plenty.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Nothin' finer than boiled corn 8min., rolled in butter and lotsa salt!!! Well that was then and this is now. One cob minus all the options sent my blood sugar soaring...so its a no go zone now. SHEESH I hate being OLDER!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
It went very well with 2010 Bud light and fried fish! LOL
Mark,

Is that the July or August 2010?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ok, I have a question. Of course this question has sparked many a "heated" conversation between me and family and friends . Let's just state here and now, I am not a health food fanatic by no means! But I don't cook in the microwave at all!

I use to heat up water in it, until I was told ...................(tell you later in the post).

I was 15 when my Dad bought my Mom a microwave, she used it for cooking veggies, warming up stuff etc. So when I moved away from home that what I basically used it for as well as heating up water for a cup of tea, etc.
But a few years ago I read that the microwave zap's the nutrients from the foods you cook in it. So I basically figured why bother eating veggies if they don't have nutrients? And went back to the old fashioned way of cooking veggies, or my preferred way, Steamed. So I guess I am hoping there is a Microwave expert or a Food expert that knows if this is true?

I am thinking the info I read was correct, because recently I was told not to heat up water (it was some special, straight from a very pure, natural spring) in the microwave as it changes the molecular structure of the water. The man who has the spring is the one who said not to use it in the microwave. I was telling someone else what he said and she totally agreed (she's a supper healthy natural foods fanatic, whom I love but as I said I am in no way a health food fanatic so we certainly are not friends because of a healthy food bond ). Give me a juicy steak and a twice baked potato any day, or pizza and a cold beer works too! Any thoughts?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I was told not to heat up water in the microwave as it changes the molecular structure of the water.
Robin,

The microwave does not change the molecular structure of water. It alters its state - turns it into steam.

The only cautions we have on cooking in the zapper are to not use plastic that isn't approved for microwaves. Some of the chemicals from the hot plastic can get into the food.

Boiling water concentrates minerals and kills any microbes. It alters the taste, making it seem 'flatter'. That is why you are always supposed to start with fresh, cold water for tea and coffee. Twice boiled water can alter the taste. Also, that is why you are not supposed to cook with water from the "Hot" faucet - concentrated minerals. Maybe the spring owner didn't want you to get a bad taste from his water?

The sources you cited seem rather extreme - they probably don't want you to use a cell phone either, brain cancer don't ya know..

BTW I normally steam my veggies on the stove. Just 'cause. I use the micro in a pinch or when the burners are full. My brother in law owns a health food store and is into alternative medicine - he still uses a cell phone and a microwave. My PhD botanist sister cooks everything in the micro. Just make sure containers and wraps are micro approved.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #38

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
When my dad bought my mom a mircrowave, urban legend was cats being cooked in them. Never heard the outcome of the flavor but it probably altered the cat and the appliance.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
When my dad bought my mom a mircrowave, urban legend was cats being cooked in them. Never heard the outcome of the flavor but it probably altered the cat and the appliance.
OOOOH What Tom Foolery.

That is one catistrophic legend that should be
nipped in the bud.

You should be feline
some pride, though, for a purrfect post.

Litter
ally, on could say the micro hacked a major hairball.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #40

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Corn for a group

Husk the corn, put into an empty cooler, cover with boiling water, close the lid and wait 30 minutes. Use a small picnic size cooler for small amounts or go big for a crowd; either way it takes 30 minutes.
Farren and Heather is offline   Reply With Quote