How do you cook corn? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Ah yes, we like to go to the beach and soak the corn in the husk in Pacific Ocean salt water for at least an hour.

Then, place them on the camp fire at the beach directly on the coals. The wet husk will steam and smoke and then start to burn off. As this happens we turn them so as not to scorch the corn. When all sides of the husk are blacken you pull the corn out of the fire and peal back the husk. I like to use the husk as a handle to hold the corn, because it does not stay hot. Slide the corn on a quarter pound of butter back and forth to butter to taste.

Oh man is this liv’n. The steamed corn in its own husk is just absolutely wonderful.

Now I'm drooling.

We like ours BBQed or cooked over coals.

1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Husk it and take off the silk.
Boil it it a big pot of water , lightly salted for about ten minutes.
Enjoy it smothered in butter and sprinkled with salt, with fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and sliced ham.
Add beer , and uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #17
Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Husked, and silked, then into boiling water that has a good zot of milk in it plus a dash of sugar. The milk really makes a notable difference.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #18
Trailer: Casita
I put the cobs in cold water with 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of sugar in the water (depending how big the pot is) and bring to a boil for 6 mins.then remove it from the heat. This really seems to bring out the taste.
I leave then in the husk and wrap with a paper towel and nuke them.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Hey, Mikey, they're not half bad if you skip the butter and spritz with some olive oil instead.
I put together a mix of garlic powder, black pepper and Parmesan cheese then sprinkled the cobs after I brushed them with olive oil

Absolutely fabulous !
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Trailer: 2007 Casita
We cook ours like, Paul. The milk and sugar create the best corn ever. Of course if your starting out with good Olathe corn then it doesn't matter how you cook it. But for any other corn, milk and sugar, bring to a boil, remove from heat then eat!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
I have to try the much?

I do use sugar..having been born and raised in Michigan then spending most of my life in Florida, the corn I never thought was as sweet as the "Bread and Butter" corn from the farmer's market.

I guess I do mine a bit differently...

I add 1/3 cup of sugar ... bring the water to a boil, TURN OFF/remove from the burner THEN add my corn.. allowing the corn to heat from the already boiled water....about 10min or so in the hot water..

LOTSA butter and salt...YUMMY
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #22
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Carolyn, A splash or two, Enough to make the water white. Not 2% white but Whole Milk white. It really does make the corn juicier and as you know the sugar makes it sweet. So you get juicy sweet corn on the cob. Yummmmmmmmmmmy! I don't know why it works, my SIL started us doing it 35 years ago and I can tell when it's not been cooked that way. Enjoy! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
I soak mine in water for 24 hrs then bbq's the only way to have corn!!
Paul "The Nascar Rig"
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #24
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
My wife offers this microwave method:

How do I cook corn?

The quick, simple and easy way: using the microwave oven.

I remove all the silk and husk off the corn, break the corn into 2 halves, then place them in a semi-deep dish (a pie dish is perfect!), pour in a table spoon of water, cover the dish tightly with Saran wrap, poke a few holes on the wrap with a folk. No sugar or salt needed.

Depending on the oven wattage, it takes about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes for an ear but if there are more than 2 ears then it will take about 3 minutes per ear so do your calculation accordingly (for instance: 4 whole ears (8 little pieces) will take about 12 minutes but 3 whole ears might take more than 9 minutes.

I normally set the timer a little less than the time I calculated, and then I check for the doneness by looking at the corn after the initial time. If everything looks transparent, them the corn is well cooked. If some part of the corn might look opaque then more time is needed. Normally it will need another minute or two (assuming your calculation is fairly accurate in the first place!).

Be sure to let it sit a bit to cool, and watch your fingers on that hot Saran wrap!

Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
Name: Michel
Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
I just put them on the BBQ (not removing the silk), rotate them, and in 10 minutes they are ready.
Boler 1300 1973
Jeep Wrangler 2dr 2012
Michel, Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #26
Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
You peel back the husks and remove the silk. Wrap the corn in bacon slide the husks back over the corn and bacon. Typically you would use some butcher string to tie the ends. Cook over slow wood fire, like coals, not a hot flaming fire. Preferably hard wood, like oak or birch for smoking, rather than pine. Once the corn is done, remove the husks. Usually, depending on the heat, the bacon will not be crispy. Depending on how you like it, you may want to grill it, or put it in tin foil in the fire. Either way, you have some bacon.

Now for the corn the BEST way to butter corn is to lavishly spread butter on a piece of bread. And I mean, LAVISHLY. Then put the corn into the bread in the palm of your hand, and wrap the bread around the corn and spin it in the bread. If you want more butter, just spread more on there.

Then take the bread, and grill it for a couple of minutes over the fire. The butter will give it a nice toasty-ness.

Along with the potatoes, which is a different story....
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too prefer to soak it a bit, then on to the grill or the coals. Boiling takes too much of the flavour out I find.

Adding sugar or milk to corn? Sounds blasphemous to me.
Good corn needs no help. I do like a bit of butter and fresh ground pepper though.

For buttering corn, I prefer to use a basting brush with softened butter on it.

I also love eating a fresh picked cob of sweet corn raw. It is soooo juicy and tasty.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #28
Name: Lyndon
Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Lots of good information on corn here As i have been growing and selling corn since I was 11 and am 76 now I am quite familiar with it . Of coarse the first corns were simply the field corns and we then boiled them in sugar water to add sweetness but the new variates don't need sugar added I do like to soak mine in salt water for a while and whether you roast boil or microwave it is up to the individual. The simplest is microwave. My favorite is an old corn called Zea Mays it is a very long cob ans smaller in diameter making it easier to eat off the cob it needs no sugar just salt and butter I grow other kinds also as there are so many Hybrids out there that arent much different. of coarse the sooner consumed after picking is best .Within 3 or 4 hrs is best and it loses quality fast after that

Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote