How do you cook corn? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
I put the cobs in cold water with 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of sugar in the water (depending how big the pot is) and bring to a boil for 6 mins.then remove it from the heat. This really seems to bring out the taste.
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I soak with husks intact, boil for 5 minutes, use no sugar, remove from stove at 5 minutes, peel back husk, snap off and eat. Our Florida Zellwood corn has been in all the markets now , fresh, for about 0.15 to 0.20 cents US/ear. Corn must be eaten as quickly after harvesting as possible, same day, if possible.

Alternatively, I cook the Mexican way. Soak with all husk intact again, then toast upon a grill over fire or flame till outer husk is blackish and inside fresh corn toasted and yummy.

I used to de-husked the corn, washed the silk off, then wrapped the corn in aluminum foil with butter, salt, pepper and cooked it on the grill but I stopped that way long ago. The above tastes far better, to me, anyway
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard 13 ft
I try to keep things simple. Remove the silk, soak in water, place on grill. Cook until I'm hungry.
Adam S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 75 Boler ('Twilight Lounge')
We got together with a few friends on the weekend. One friend brought corn and cooked it in the microwave. She pulled the silk and most of the husk off, soaked in the sink for 10 minutes or so. Put some paper towels in the bottom of the micro, then more paper towels over the corn. It cooked quick and was soooo good. First time we've had it this way, we usually boil it with a bit of sugar.
Debbie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
I 'm obviously missing something...I just cook it the same way my mother did (not saying it's right, it's just the way I learned). Strip it down to the cob, toss in boiling water, boil until "it smells like corn" (10 minutes or there abouts). No sugar, no salt in the water. Eat with some salt and a bunch of pepper.

Dave
(I will have to remember to try it one of the above ways next time - the local corn won't be ready for a while yet.)
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
wow... the great thing about camping and corn is it comes naturally ready to cook.... toss a little water on the husk. toss it on the grate over the fire perfect corn every time. just rotate it and try not to let the husk get to brown. after a couple times you will have it down to a science.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ahhhhh I eat mine POPPED!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
If I've got a microwave handy, I cut off each end, leave the husks intact, and cook on high in the microwave for 5 minutes. (Six minutes if cooking 3 ears at a time.) Take them out of the 'wave and wrap in a dish towel for another five minutes or so (while you 'wave the next 2 or 3 ears). Admittedly, they're hot when you shuck them, so you'll want to continue to handle them with the help of another dish towel.

It's important to let them steam in their husks that extra 5 (or more) minutes.

I've also done as suggested above: cut off the ends, soak briefly in water and put directly on the grill while also cooking the evening meal's entree.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...DITTO on the POPPED+topped with home made garlic butter& parmesan cheese
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Ah yes, we like to go to the beach and soak the corn in the husk in Pacific Ocean salt water for at least an hour.

Then, place them on the camp fire at the beach directly on the coals. The wet husk will steam and smoke and then start to burn off. As this happens we turn them so as not to scorch the corn. When all sides of the husk are blacken you pull the corn out of the fire and peal back the husk. I like to use the husk as a handle to hold the corn, because it does not stay hot. Slide the corn on a quarter pound of butter back and forth to butter to taste.

Oh man is this liv’n. The steamed corn in its own husk is just absolutely wonderful.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Husk it and take off the silk.
Boil it it a big pot of water , lightly salted for about ten minutes.
Enjoy it smothered in butter and sprinkled with salt, with fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and sliced ham.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Traveling single means I only need a couple ears at a time. I steam the corn in an aspargus steamer. If I had to do more, I'd put my vegatable steamer in the bottom of a larger pot and steam them there.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Ah yes, we like to go to the beach and soak the corn in the husk in Pacific Ocean salt water for at least an hour.

Then, place them on the camp fire at the beach directly on the coals. The wet husk will steam and smoke and then start to burn off. As this happens we turn them so as not to scorch the corn. When all sides of the husk are blacken you pull the corn out of the fire and peal back the husk. I like to use the husk as a handle to hold the corn, because it does not stay hot. Slide the corn on a quarter pound of butter back and forth to butter to taste.

Oh man is this liv’n. The steamed corn in its own husk is just absolutely wonderful.
Hey, Mikey, they're not half bad if you skip the butter and spritz with some olive oil instead.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Hey, Mikey, they're not half bad if you skip the butter and spritz with some olive oil instead.
I’ll try it.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:

Now I'm drooling.

We like ours BBQed or cooked over coals.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Husk it and take off the silk.
Boil it it a big pot of water , lightly salted for about ten minutes.
Enjoy it smothered in butter and sprinkled with salt, with fresh sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and sliced ham.
Add beer , and uuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Husked, and silked, then into boiling water that has a good zot of milk in it plus a dash of sugar. The milk really makes a notable difference.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I put the cobs in cold water with 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of sugar in the water (depending how big the pot is) and bring to a boil for 6 mins.then remove it from the heat. This really seems to bring out the taste.
I leave then in the husk and wrap with a paper towel and nuke them.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Quote:
I put together a mix of garlic powder, black pepper and Parmesan cheese then sprinkled the cobs after I brushed them with olive oil

Absolutely fabulous !
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Casita
We cook ours like, Paul. The milk and sugar create the best corn ever. Of course if your starting out with good Olathe corn then it doesn't matter how you cook it. But for any other corn, milk and sugar, bring to a boil, remove from heat then eat!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote