How do you make Coffee? - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #141

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:
i have been camping since i was 12 ( 38 years ) and i always like the idea of ruffing it , and always used an older banged up cowboy coffee ( grounds in your teeth ) percolator , but last summer i bought a colman drip coffee maker that you use on the burner of your gas stove top , I LOVE IT , the only drawback is that you have to turn the flame off as soon as the coffee is perked so i picked up a coffee carafe at a tag sale to pour the coffee into to keep warm , also it has a glass pot so you have to be careful with it , i carry mine in the ice-box on my pop-up because i use a big cooler in the back of my pickup anyway

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...uct_id=5008C700
We tried the Coleman coffee maker also but did not like it at all. Yes it did do the drip thing and made coffee but once I found out you had to shut it off I decided against it. If I am going to make coffee in something then that something needs to keep the coffee hot after it is made. We returned the one we bought. Since then we used the Aeropress and a simple kettle to boil water in. We put enough coffee in it to make 2 cups. Then extract the coffee with the boiling water and split it between the 2 cups. Then add more hot water for an Americano type cup.

The Coleman was ...ok just not what we were after if we were going to cary another item to camp.

I have used my Chemx at home and it works real nice. This is what we will use next time. I figure we can make 4 or 5 cups at once in it and it will sit on the burner on low and keep the coffee nice and hot.

Name:   chemex.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  33.6 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman_Coffee_Maker.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #142

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Neither of us care for perked coffee, and rarely have a curre/ant bush nearby... French press coffee is really good, but a waste of water to clean, and goes cold since we have a glass one. Used two Melitta one=cup pourovers for a long time, into travel mugs, then remembered I had an old stainless steel carafe left over from a dead drip coffeemaker. Now, I put coffee enough (usually Aldi's brand Columbian, five and a heaping tablespoons) in the Melitta, put it on the old carafe, and brew a whole pot... Takes a little time, but great coffee. We prefer it to the coffee in the electric drip coffee maker at home.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #143

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
we used to use a percolator, but then realized we hate percolated coffee. we are not fans of drip coffee, so we use a bodum, or coffee press at home. after having 2 break inside the trailer in transit, we realized there had to be better than a glass one, also glass doesn't keep the coffee hot. being seekers of gourmet coffee, we were in a branch of the evil corporation starbucks, and found our bodum. it's all stainless steel, and the plunger is even metal. it's a hollow wall design, and the lid is hollow too. we can make coffee, and 2 hours later it still comes out hot as when you made it. evil place to go, but it's the best bodum i've used. this one's going on 3 years now.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/images/lg_ssPress8c.jpg
Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #144

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Quote:
The simplest, quickest, cleanest, cheapest is the paper filter in the plastic cone with stove water poured through it. No fuss, no muss -done.
Before I chimed in, thought I'd check all the pages of this topic, and sure enough someone else has hit on this method. Maybe I have an improvement. I use a plastic funnel ($1 at dollar store), #4 cone filter, 1/2 cup of fine ground (in camp) home roasted coffee of my choice from Sweet Maria's, water just off the boil (around 200 degree F). The funnel sets in my 1 qt. Stanley Aladin Thermos bottle. The drip through the funnel seems just about right to get a good extraction from the beans. When done I have my coffee ration for the day, piping hot in the thermos. On longer outings, when I run out of roasted beans, I roast more green beans in my Poppery II popcorn popper (1/2 cup at a time). Electric only needed to grind, so when I know we will be without AC (hydro), I grind beans ahead of time (freshness vanishes quickly after grinding, I find).
Old 06-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #145

Trailer: Casita
I use a Melita six cup and buy their coffee too.
good coffee.
https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0446&Cat=
Anyway that and a square of Ghiradeli 72% gets me chunkin in the morning.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #146

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Before I chimed in, thought I'd check all the pages of this topic, and sure enough someone else has hit on this method. Maybe I have an improvement. I use a plastic funnel ($1 at dollar store), #4 cone filter, 1/2 cup of fine ground (in camp) home roasted coffee of my choice from Sweet Maria's, water just off the boil (around 200 degree F). The funnel sets in my 1 qt. Stanley Aladin Thermos bottle. The drip through the funnel seems just about right to get a good extraction from the beans. When done I have my coffee ration for the day, piping hot in the thermos. On longer outings, when I run out of roasted beans, I roast more green beans in my Poppery II popcorn popper (1/2 cup at a time). Electric only needed to grind, so when I know we will be without AC (hydro), I grind beans ahead of time (freshness vanishes quickly after grinding, I find).
We have a solution that's a best-of-both-worlds kinda thing. When we have hookups our 110v Black-and-Decker coffee maker works just as you'd expect any coffee maker to work. There are two things that make it perfect for our trailer, though. The first is that the lid over the water reservoir and coffee filter basket flips all the way back, so you can boil water in a kettle and pour it through the grounds manually when you don't have 110v AC power. The other nice thing is the coffee maker has a stainless-steel thermal carafe that both keeps the coffee hot without any electricity for a couple of hours after it's brewed and, because it's stainless steel, is shatter-proof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coffe_Maker_Strapped_In_480x640.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	20863

One more nice thing about the thermal carafe is the coffee maker doesn't even have a hot plate to warm the carafe, so there's no leaving the coffee maker turned on and coming back to a pot full of burnt coffee.

For those who gotta have their pot-o-coffee . . . I'm not saying I'm one of them (or am I) . . . this is a dream machine.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #147

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
While I'm not a coffee drinker at all (I think the stuff tastes like DIRT! hehehe) I have an old Corelle perk pot in my trailer (little blue flower and everything!) for both making hot water on the stove, and for any company that needs their coffee fix. From what I've seen in this thread though, I might as well be making battery acid, as low the quality of perk coffee seems to be judged at, hmmm? hehe

My best buddy is a coffee fiend though, who can't begin his day without a whole pot of coffee in his stomach, and he SWEARS by the Coleman drip coffeemaker. He hasn't commented one way or the other about having to turn off the burner when it's done brewing though, so I don't know if that's a bother or not. I know that the glass pot is a concern, though it hasn't gotten broken on a trip yet. The easiest fix for that is the padded carrying case that Coleman sells (like $15 or so), keeps the whole contraption safe during travel.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents! hehe

Joe
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #148

Trailer: 1986 Burro
quick comment on coffee making...we use a percolator without the guts....pour water into the pot and add coffee....however the trick with the grounds is to put the grounds (for us, it's about three scoops) into a nylon stocking (washed of course) and knot both ends so that its like a ball about the size between a golf ball and tennis ball ....simmer on campstove or better yet open fire until the water gently boils, the strength of the coffee depends on the amount of grounds and the length of steeping them......(the coarser the grounds the better).....best yet no coffee gunk at the bottom of pot and no filters to deal with....
Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #149

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
... home roasted coffee of my choice from Sweet Maria's... [b]Electric only needed to grind, so when I know we will be without AC (hydro), I grind beans ahead of time (freshness vanishes quickly after grinding, I find).
I haven't tried coffee from Sweet Maria's yet, but it's been on my "want to" list.

For the grinding, have you tried a manual grinder? I've always detested the sound of an electric grinder in the morning, so I've never used one. Instead I bought an older German grinder from eBay for about $15 and I love it. Good gears and the grind is adjustable. I use it all the time, even at home where I have electricity. It might be a bit too much work if I were making coffee for a convention, but for my typical usage, it's fine. Mine is like this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	coffeegrinderarmin2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	21619

I've also used wall-mounted manual grinders (Zassenhaus and Spong), but I like the one pictured above for portability and light weight.

I can't quite get comfortable with pouring near-boiling water through plastic to make my coffee, so I still use a glass drip-type pot (Chemex). Kind of bulky for camping, but.... I like it anyway.

Raya
Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #150

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 / 2013 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel!!!
British Columbia
My wife and I each have a french press type of stainless steel mug available from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Makes great tasting coffee that stays hot a long time.

The only downside is that our 2 year old ones were made in the USA and the ones they stock now that are exactly the same are made in China.

Buzz Line Desk Press Coffee Press
Product Number: 5005-106

Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #151

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Quote:
For the grinding, have you tried a manual grinder?

Raya
Great idea! My son-in-law has one that I've used when visiting. I'll be on the lookout for one for our Trillium!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #152

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Marv,

They're relatively hard to find in shops, but plentiful on eBay. However if you do want a new one, Sweet Maria's is a nice place to work with (they have a website).

I used to be enamored of the wall mount, for various reasons, but now I find that I prefer my portable wooden one. I can sit wherever I like to grind the coffee There are quite a few on eBay, as I mentioned.

Some good brands in this size would be Zassenhaus, Trosser, and PeDe (there are others, which you'll see if you do a search on "manual coffee grinder").

On mine the grind adjustment is "hidden" on the inside of the grinder, so don't assume there isn't one just because you don't see one (some are on the outside where you can see them).

It really is easy to grind the amount for, say, an 8 or 10 cup pot of coffee. I have a Dutch friend who told me that in Holland, they believe hand-ground coffee tastes better

Raya
Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #153

Trailer: 1970 Campster
I'm hoping to use my new Keurig single cup coffee maker on a camping trip next week. You can purchase individual serving K-cups in a variety of flavors and many are organically grown and come from "fair trade" companies. The Keuring model I have makes hot coffee on demand in about 30 seconds. However, it uses a wopping 1500 watts! Does anyone know if regular campground hookups, like the ones at the Lake Casitas rally, can handle this much amperage? I've never camped with hookups before.

Otherwise, I'll go back to my stovetop percolator or drip filter system like I've used for years when tent camping.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #154

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
1500 watts should be no problem for the campground electrical system. We've used electric heaters and DW uses a hair dryer that draw that much current and never had a problem.

Tags
coffee, okra