How do you make Coffee? - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #221

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Hi,
Use a percolator without the innards. Put coffee grounds directly into the water. Bring to boil. Pour cup of cold water on top. Grounds go to the bottom. Voila, great coffee!
I do the same thing, except I don't boil the coffee. I bring the water to almost a boil, a fast simmer will do, turn off the heat and then put the coffee into the water. Is like steeping tea. Stir a little if you like, let steep for three to five minutes, then add the cold water, as it will help the grounds settle. That's how to make good "cowboy coffee." Of course the amount of coffee has to be worked out to your individual taste. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #222

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Sheesh.
We've been beating around this bush since -let me look at the first post- since August 19th, 2006!
Well, I for one think this has gone on just about long enough- time to separate the corn from the cowpie, folks!
Let's face it- we're talking about a drug-delivery system, and I say:

Whatever Gets the Goods to the Gonads Right this Minute is the way to go!

Why mess around with water and heat and etc.?
Here's a method that is guaranteed to put a High Step in Your Giddyup-
and you don't even have to get off your bunk/cot/sleeping bag to -er- "partake" of it!
Here we go, available at :Nuclear Energy Powder ~ Energy Candy :: ChemicalEvolution

And according to the Highly Respected Website it's available from, and here I directly quote,:
"With 90mg of caffeine per tube you can take in moderation throughout the day for smooth nuclear delivery or
down a whole tube in one shot for a massive nuclear meltdown. "

What could be handier, more lightweight, or more
Superchargedenergyefficient?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #223

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Marg:

Drank many of that concotion. Sometimes it's just right, sometimes, ewwwh!
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #224

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
A pinch of salt added to "cowboy" coffee mellows it out.
Back in the old days before energy drinks, in college we used to put a pinch of instant coffee' between the cheek and the gum'. It will give you a caffeine kick that will keep you going all night.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #225

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
How do **I** make coffee???

Why, I **POLITLY** ask my lovey bride to do if for me.
Sheesh.... how ELSE would I do it??!?!!??!!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #226

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I shopped second hand shops in several states until I got three (3) stainless, copper bottom percolators that make "6 cups" (but only sissy sized cups) each. I was lucky enough to find a set of glass innards for the Revere that was missing its set, got one complete Revere and one Ecko. One for home, one for the trailer, and one to make sure I don't run out! Yeah, I like my coffee.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #227

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
buy an old fashon percolater pot. buy some good perk grind coffee. practise a bit at home. you have to let it perk awhile and need to get the timing just right. and make sure you watch it cause when it first starts to perk it can boil over. turn it down till its just bibling perfectly.

the practice and effort will pay off. nothing is better then a well perked fresh cup of camp coffee in the morning.
i think i got mine at miejers in the camping section, its stainless steel.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #228

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
There are several steps to the perfect coffee:

1) Drive to Starbucks
2) Park
3) enter store
4) ask for the biggest Dark Roast they can make
5) add cream, sugar, whatever to taste
6) stir
7) put lid on cup
8) get back in vehicle
9) drive back to campsite

BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #229

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I'm new to RVing so all my supplies are carrier over from tent camping. I'm definitely a coffee connoisseur. For years I used a Camping nalagene French press. Definitely took skill but once perfected it was awesome. It was very bulky though.
Introducing Starbucks microgrind. Before I go further I have to say I don't drink instant! This is different, they microgrind it, not dehydrate as other "instants". Give it a try. Changed my life.... well my morning anyway.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #230

British Columbia
Actually I think I poster earlier about how I actually do it. A Mellita cone filter is involved, along with a burr grinder and French (or Italian) roast blended with light roast Columbian coffees. Coffee is one thing I can afford to actually be a connoisseur about!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #231

Name: John
Trailer: Casita Patriot 17'
California
AeroPress

Another great option is the Aerobie AeroPress. Filters are dirt cheap, re-usable, and it makes great coffee.

You can get them here: Aeropress
JCusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #232

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita Liberty
California
My wife likes tea, I like coffee. So we got a tea pot and a french press. We boil the hot water on the stovetop in the teapot, and after she pours her cup of tea, I use the remaining hot water in the french press. Seriously, I don't know if it's the camping, or the french press or what, but that makes the best tasting cup of coffee. Much better than my good 'ol drip at home.
rgbekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #233

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
My son the coffee geek gave me one of these to grind the fresh homeroasted coffee beans he sends me. It works very well for camping and is adjustable for any grind...no current bush needed.

Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill - Coffee Grinders & Mills
They're also available on Amazon. Another brand, Kyrocera looks identical.
Once I've ground my beans, I use a 20 oz. stainless steel french press I bought from liquidplanet.com to brew the java. Makes for a great couple cups of wake-me-up in the morning.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #234
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Coffee - Comfort Food

I love making coffee first thing in the morning. The smell for coffee on the stove percolating and the heat from the stove takes away the morning chill. While the joe is brewing I'm getting dressed and getting my stuff together for the day ahead. Just about the time the coffee is ready Cindy and the dogs return from their morning walk and we enjoy the atmosphere and a nice hot cup of coffee and talk about the adventure ahead!
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #235

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita Liberty
California
Mmmmm coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
My son the coffee geek gave me one of these to grind the fresh homeroasted coffee beans he sends me. It works very well for camping and is adjustable for any grind...no current bush needed.

Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill - Coffee Grinders & Mills
They're also available on Amazon. Another brand, Kyrocera looks identical.
Once I've ground my beans, I use a 20 oz. stainless steel french press I bought from liquidplanet.com to brew the java. Makes for a great couple cups of wake-me-up in the morning.
Oooh! Nice. Fresh ground beans...I think that'll be my next step in search of the perfect cup!
rgbekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #236

Name: Tammi
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Maine
coffee machine !
when i go on a campout i do without coffee.
in such cases hot green tea is the best.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #237

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbekker View Post
Oooh! Nice. Fresh ground beans...I think that'll be my next step in search of the perfect cup!
The beans MUST be fresh ground. Whatever roast/blend you enjoy, but the coffee begins to go stale within minutes of being ground. If I do not have a current bush around, a small inverter (even if I have to run it by plugging into the lighter in my TV!) powers a small burr grinder. Water is heated already B4 grinding beans. (Water must be a few degrees cooler than boiling, or coffee becomes harsh & bitter!)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #238

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
I'm new to RVing so all my supplies are carrier over from tent camping. I'm definitely a coffee connoisseur. For years I used a Camping nalagene French press. Definitely took skill but once perfected it was awesome. It was very bulky though.
Introducing Starbucks microgrind. Before I go further I have to say I don't drink instant! This is different, they microgrind it, not dehydrate as other "instants". Give it a try. Changed my life.... well my morning anyway.
So you admit that you are drinking coffee grounds (albeit very finely ground), and liking it.

I have never been a coffee drinker. My wife always wants her cupful in the morning though. She's currently using a 1-cup drip brewer from Hamilton Beach that uses regular coffee grounds in a little washable screen-basket. No paper filter needed.

I have been reading a lot of the Louis L'Amour western novels, and L'Amour must have really loved his coffee. Many of the characters in his novels subsist for long periods on nothing more than coffee and bacon... and sometimes just coffee! His cowboy characters can be riding along with nothing to eat, but they'll stop to build a fire and make coffee, and then they can ride on just fine for the rest of the day.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 AM   #239

Name: Terrylou
Trailer: 2010 Earthbound
California
Hello All,
So, I love coffee in the morning in fact I prefer espresso or a latte ! This method will also yield an americano.
What I learned having grown up in an Italian neighborhood is they've been making delicious coffee on the stove for over a 100 years. Go to your local Italian store and purchase a lovely stainless steel pot similar to an old fashion percolator. You can purchase the coffee there as well. They come in several sizes 2 cup to 10 cup espresso. The water goes in the bottom pot, the stainless steel filter is filled with the coffee grinds is placed in the bottom pot, the top pot with built in filter/ strainer is screwed on the top. Then you simply place the pot on the gas or propane stove turn it on and wait for the whistling to start then stop. The water travels from the bottom of the pot through the filter and coffee and into the top pot and badda bing badda bang you have the best coffee in any of the three ways mentioned above. I'm sure you can figure out how to warm the milk for a latte. And if you like it with froth on top you can even buy a battery operated frother for that extra touch.
Well there you have it, ENJOY!
Terry Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #240

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I think Terry Lou is talking about these.....

Bialetti Venus Espresso Maker

I use the older style that is aluminum......

http://www.bialettishop.com/MokaExpressMain.htm

Tags
coffee, okra