Trailer: 1970 Campster
That's great news, Tom! Thanks!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #156

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
[b][Moderator's note: A later topic on the same subject has been merged with this one.]

Original post:

We are going on our first campout in our Scamp, and I have our old tenting camp utensils including a small coffee pot thing--but it has nothing inside. Am I missing parts i don't remember, or can you make coffee in this thing. Most rv sites say get a percolator pot for stovetop or campstove. I do have a french press, but it's glass.
any suggestions, recipes???
I only drink one cup of coffee a day - but it runs from 24 - 32 0z...

Simple is best - and makes great coffee. I used to own and run an espresso bar and for "regular" coffee this is the best system we found for flavor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000378.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	23013

A couple of tips:

Pre-measure the water. You won't have to guess how much to pour.

Use a grind between drip and espresso. A fairly fine grind works well.

Be sure to pour some H20 on the grinds and wait. Then pour the rest slowly into the cone.

I use this cone and filter when cycling, motorcycle camping, backpacking and at home. Why mess with a good thing.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #157

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
I would agree, why mess with simple and tasty! The single cup drip cone on mug is perfect, gives yummy coffee. Just follow instructions given by Tom U, and have the coffee beans ground fine enough. On top of that, I always have some nice German roasted beans at hand.... At our tent camping trips this year with a bunch of people I was quite busy fixing some coffees though.... However, meanwhile other people fixed breakfast such as eggs and bacon...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #158

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
Quote:
I only drink one cup of coffee a day - but it runs from 24 - 32 0z...

Simple is best - and makes great coffee. I used to own and run an espresso bar and for "regular" coffee this is the best system we found for flavor.

Attachment 23013

A couple of tips:

Pre-measure the water. You won't have to guess how much to pour.

Use a grind between drip and espresso. A fairly fine grind works well.

Be sure to pour some H20 on the grinds and wait. Then pour the rest slowly into the cone.

I use this cone and filter when cycling, motorcycle camping, backpacking and at home. Why mess with a good thing.
This is how we make our morning coffee at home. I cannibalized the filter holder from our cheap drip machine when it broke, and made it fit snugly in the top of a stainless thermos.
One other detail i can add (as if we haven't exhausted this topic already): if you use paper filters in your filter holder you'll get a nice clean cup, if you prefer the earthyness of a frenchpress we have a reusable filter (it is plastic but you can get some that are gold mesh too) and it lets more oils through and some fine "dust" from the grind. makes an entirely different tasting cup from the same coffee.
FWIW i can get excited about all kinds of different coffees. My brew of choice is espresso / macchiato / cappuccino from a good quality machine(and someone who knows how to use it) with fresh ground Illy or similar roast. but i also really enjoy turkish coffee, vietnamese coffee, Tim Hortons, french press and even look forward to a good cup of cowboy coffee the way dad would make over the campfire, give it a gentle swirl before you pour to keep the worst of the grinds in the pot. If you check your expectations, the next different cup you try might be your new favorite.

-Kevin
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #159

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
On top of that, I always have some nice German roasted beans at hand....
I hate to admit it - my "house blend" is a Viennese Blend made from equal parts French Roast and Colombian purchased separately at Costco and mixed at home. Cost per pound is less than $4.00. Tastes great.

For a long trip in the boondocks with the trailer I bring along my Spong, an old fashioned hand grinder that does really well.

BTW for a 24 oz cup of coffee I use 5 rounded to heaping plastic tsp of beans.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #160

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Uhla, that sounds really nice!! I should try that... Next time when shopping at Costco I will have a look for those beans... Yes, yummy coffee is VERY important to me. You perhaps notice in my profile how I am going to call my egg that I am getting next year....
Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #161

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
When I am not cooking on an open fire, I use this type of coffee.
http://www.mesquite-roasted.com/?page_id=2
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #162

Name: Don
Trailer: Compact Hunter I
Colorado
Registry
I've tried all sorts of brewing methods, including, but not limited to: cowboy coffee, vacuum pot, mocha pot, french press, aero-press, toddy (cold brew for coffee concentrate), percolator (can be OK if done correctly), and pour-through filter (Melitta type). I mostly use the pour-through filter these days, both at home and camping. I drilled extra holes in my plastic funnel to increase the flow. If I want to decrease it, I just add the water more slowly. I do wet the grounds first and let them bloom before adding more water. I prefer about 190 to 200 degree water - hotter will over-extract and make the coffee bitter.

I roast my own coffee, though I haven't been doing this very much lately. I usually don't do this when out camping, but I have done it a couple of times out in the boondocks with a roaster on a Coleman stove.

I only use whole beans, ground within a few minutes of brewing. For camping, I bring a hand grinder that fits nicely between my knees. Have also used a Soliz electric burr grinder powered through an inverter. The whirly-blade grinder can be OK too, but I don't use one anymore.

HINT: I've heard that you can power a hand crank grinder with a cordless drill. Haven't got around to trying this yet, but it sounds like it should work fine with the drill on low speed. This may require removing the handle first...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #163

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
What kind of manual coffee grinder do you use, Don?

I quite like mine, and use it at home all the time. I'm a bit of a night owl, and the sound of someone using one of those electric grinders when I'm still trying to sleep put me off them. Even when I'm awake I don't like them!

I have a Spong (English, cast-iron)

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	24496

and a Trosser (German) (The only photo I have of it is when I had it apart for cleaning, just after I bought it).

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	24497

I bought them both used, and they were made in the 50s -70s era.

I tend to use the wooden one pretty much exclusively because I like the portability. I can take it to the living room and read or out on deck in the morning while I grind coffee

Combine them with my Chemex, and I'm a happy... camper I have to be a bit more careful with the glass (I have a smaller sized one for camping though), but I'm just not keen on pouring boiling water through plastic for my morning coffee.

Name:	chemex.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	24498

I have used a French press, and like the coffee; but when water supply is limited it was a pain to clean (although a Rubbermaid type white pastry spatula thingie is helpful).

I like the looks of the chorreador for camping; haven't tried one yet though.

Coffee threads sure are fun
Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #164

Name: Don
Trailer: Compact Hunter I
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
What kind of manual coffee grinder do you use, Don?

... (snip) ...

Coffee threads sure are fun
I use an older wooden Zassenhaus (the one on the left):

Name:	grinders.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	24499

It's indented at the sides to fit between your (in this case, my) knees. My first hand grinder was a Zassenhause that I bought brand new. Zassenhaus shut down a while back, and there was a scare that they were no longer available. By that time I had several older used ones, and I sold the new one for more than I paid for it. (The old used ones work fine). Zassenhaus eventually came back from bankruptcy or whatever had shut them down, and now you can buy new ones again.

I have several stove-top mocha pots that produce near-espresso strength coffee, including a larger one that has a wand for steaming milk for cappuccinos & lattes and the like. I haven't tried this one yet, but one of these days... It's third from right below:

Name:	pots.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	24500
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #165

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Don, love the coffee grinder collection. I would love to have an old hand grinder but don't know the first thing about them. Could you point me in the right direction or can you recommend a site with info?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #166

I'm not Don, but as I did quite a bit of research/shopping before I bought mine (and I did also use a friend's, new, wall-mounted Zassenhaus).

If you're looking for a new one, then Zassenhaus makes good ones.

But, there are many used ones on eBay, which is where I got mine. A clean wooden one like mine should go for well under $50 (mine was about $17, I think).

Some common/decent brands (there are more, too):

Armin Trosser
KYM
Zassenhaus
PeDe

There are also the cast iron clamp on type, like my Spong, above. Also available on eBay, but more expensive and heavier to ship.

Then there is a series of wall mounted ones, with a wooden backing board, ceramic hopper, and glass (or plastic) accumulator cup at the bottom. The Zassenhaus I used on a boat was that type. Coffee beans store in the top (rubber gasket but still not sure how airtight?), and then are caught in accumulator at the bottom, which is handy and nice when the boat is rocking around. I like the old glass cup better than the new plastic because static makes the coffee grounds kind of stick to the plastic cup.

For just trying one, I'd recommend a wooden one from eBay for around $25 or so. The only thing I really watch for is that the gears and "funnel" at the top are not gross or too rusty. Mine was quite clean, but you can also take them apart easily.

Also, I like to make sure it has a grind adjustment (they may all have, but I'm not sure). On mine it's on the inside, so you don't see it at first.

I wouldn't want to grind coffee for a camp by hand, but for one or two, it's quite manageable.

Let me know if I can help further,

Raya

PS: Don ---- nice collection! I thought I was a nut with two

I'll be very curious to hear how the maker with the steamer works. I bought a Bellmann, specifically because it's a stovetop maker with a steaming wand, and although it's beautifully made, you can get spares, etc. -- I've never managed to make a decent cup with it, even after following instructions, and trying many times.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #167

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Thanks Raya! Every once in a while I see one at a thrift store so now I'll have a little better idea of what I'm looking at.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #168

Lizbeth,

I was going to look up a photo of a wooden one like mine that was not disassembled, and I came upon this photo. A pile of them

The one in the middle with the red handles is almost exactly like mine.

Name:	grinders.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	24515

One note: I like the ones with a positively closing top because then if I'm sitting outside or wherever, I don't have worry about spilling the beans (so to speak), while I'm grinding.

Here's one of the older wall-mounted ones. There are variations in the canister style, but they're mostly basically like this:

Name:	wall_mounted.jpg
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	24516

I had to kind of force myself to stop at two

Tags
coffee, okra