How do you make Coffee? - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #169

Name: Don
Trailer: Compact Hunter I
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
...I'll be very curious to hear how the maker with the steamer works. I bought a Bellmann, specifically because it's a stovetop maker with a steaming wand, and although it's beautifully made, you can get spares, etc. -- I've never managed to make a decent cup with it, even after following instructions, and trying many times.
Raya,

I don't know anything about the Bellmann, but I've used several moka pots (without steam wands) with good results. I had an aluminum Bialetti that worked well, but decided I prefer stainless steel (another subject). Bialetti has several models in SS and aluminum, and I would recommend looking into these. Here's a LINK to their site. Probably the only spare part you might need is the gasket, and they are readily available through online coffee supply houses.

HINT: One thing I've decided is a must, is NEVER to use the full capacity of water. Stop brewing at 1/2 to 3/4 of the full volume. I don't know if or how this might translate to the Bellman, but here's what I do with the Moka:

1. Fill the basket with very fine ground coffee (do not tamp).

2. Fill the bottom reservoir with cold water up to the safety valve. This is the full amount of water.

3. Turn the heat on high until the coffee starts coming into the upper reservoir, then turn it down to medium or so.

4. When somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of the water has passed through the grounds, pour the coffee into a preheated cup or pot. If the coffee comes out too strong, have some hot water ready to dilute it to your taste. I find that even if I dilute it to about the strength of filter coffee, it still has more of an espresso taste, sort of like a "cafe americain" (?).

Here's the proof: Much of the remaining water will continue to percolate through the grounds, even after you remove the pot from the heat. Give this portion a taste test. It will taste anywhere from very bad to downright nasty. You want to stop brewing before this gets into your final product. It may take some experimenting to figure out just how much water you should use, but I prefer to err on the side of too little, since it still makes good coffee, just stronger.

I haven't used the moka pots in quite a while, since I get about the same result with the AeroPress.

Don

Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #170

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
I am a coffee drinker but I am amazed at the response on this thread.

Anyhow this works for me......I bake coffee beans in an old hot air pop-corn popper I picked up used. Does a great job and removes the silver-skin at the same time.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #171

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
DonH,

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll have to dig out the Bellman again, especially now that cooler weather is on the way (I drink iced coffee most of the time).

It is a high quality machine (and I also wanted stainless and not aluminum), and they've been sold for years, so they must work for someone; but not me (nor a friend to whom I lent it).

I'll try it again with your tips in mind.

Here's what it looks like: (And... aha! I see they now sell a pressure gauge, which mine does not have. I will have to look into that! Maybe that would be the key )

Click image for larger version

Name:	bellman_outside.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	24520

Name:	bellman_inside.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	24521

Name:   bellman_cx25p_gauge.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  31.1 KB

Oh, and while searching online for a photo, I did find this review (link below). It does mention a couple of things (although... no gauge - maybe that is a new part):

1) They say you have to have fierce heat (no electric stove). I did use a gas stove (one reason I bought it is to use with no electricity), but maybe I didn't have the heat on "fierce," I can't remember now. I did whatever it said in the directions but maybe they under-emphasized the heat.

2) they do allude to the fact that the coffee might come out slightly weak (but I mix mine with milk so for me to taste it as weak I think it was really weak).

Nevertheless, they review it well, and it is really nice and stainless-steely and heavy duty in that old-fashioned "we can still get parts" way. And it steams milk, which is what made me buy it over other non-electric options.

Review, in case anyone's interest is piqued:

http://www.coffeecrew.com/gear/392-bellman...-maker-reviewed
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #172

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I have

Name:	never.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	24525
drank the stuff. Can't stand the smell.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #173

But you clicked on the thread

(Of course I clicked on the "Bacon" thread, and I don't even eat bacon )

Funny though, I didn't drink coffee until a few years ago, but I always loved the smell. So we're opposite.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #174

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp
We've always used an old school stove-top coffee maker until ... a friend gave us a Bosch Single server coffee brewer and we LOVE it.
It's small and easy to store and use. And the available blends would satisfy the most persnickety coffee lover - like me.
The downside: you are limited to their brands but with over 40 varieties and 12 brands we're not complaining.

From product description:
It's a fully automatic single-serve coffee brewer makes coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, as well as cappuccinos and lattes with real milk. The machine uses Tassimo discs (T-Discs), which contain precisely measured amounts of the ingredients for each drink and are sealed to protect the flavors inside.

Here's an Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W3V88W/ref=as...ASIN=B001W3V88W

Yummy coffee and easy peezy!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #175

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
While we were canoe campers we made CAMP KAWPHY
Use a quart coffee pot and fill with cold water
Add two handfulls of coffee grounds
Bring to rapid boil for about 3-4 minutes
Take pot by bail and whirl around at arms length several times to drivethe grounds to bottom of pot.
[This really impresses first timers.]
Pour into cups and cut off when full
Strain any remaining grounds through teeth
- - - - - - - - -
When pot nears empty refill with cold water and add another handfull of grounds to whatever is in the bottom
By nightfall there's not a lot of room for more water and the stuff tastes pretty bad but next day you can start over again with a fresh pot. Whahooooo!
After a week or two of this you really apreciate a good coffee shop!

Later I'll see if I can find the little personal coffe maker that I used last.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #176

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
ATOMIC COFFEE MAKER

Anyone familiar with this old one:

http://www.made-in-england.org/atomic-coffee-maker/

or any of the subsequent copies?

I love their CDT video as I have walked a lot of it. If you do not know what really "HIGH" country is in the Rockys, the kind that you can only walk or climb to see, then this is beautiful. For those that have experienced it firsthand, it is a walk down a very pleasant, 'memory lane'!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #177

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I have a nice espresso grinder at home which I use to grind up our coffee before we go on trips. Turn it on the highest setting and let it run for a while longer than normal, and it basically turns the coffee to dust. I put it in a baggie and just add a teaspoon to a cup of hot water and it's all set. No more mess or fussing with percolators, battery powered gadgets that never seemed to work *quite* right anyways, steam powered finger cookers, etc, and no mess to clean up. Very simple.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #178

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
ATOMIC COFFEE MAKER

Anyone familiar with this old one:

http://www.made-in-england.org/atomic-coffee-maker/

or any of the subsequent copies?
Yep, have one of the originals I bought new in Australia about 1987. It's really a fun machine. Don't think I'll take it camping, though!

Parker
Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #179

Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I bought an insulated French Press travel mug 2 years ago on ebay.
It holds has 1 2/3 cup capacity.
Add boiling water, put on the top with the press let it step and your done
I bought it for camping but it makes such great coffee that I use it everyday.
There's no coffee maker to clean.
My coffee maker comes out only when I have friends over.
John
Old 12-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #180

Hi Perry,

Could I ask what your mug is made of? I like the idea, and have looked at a few, but I've only ever found plastic ones (and I don't like to drink out of plastic that I've poured boiling water into).

Thanks,
Raya
Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #181

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Hi Perry,

Could I ask what your mug is made of? I like the idea, and have looked at a few, but I've only ever found plastic ones (and I don't like to drink out of plastic that I've poured boiling water into).

Thanks,
Raya
I agree with you when it comes to plastic for hot liquids. This website describes both plastic and stainless steel 'french press' travel coffee mugs.

http://www.planetarydesign.us/catego...cataction=mugs

For a standard travel mug, Office Depot sells a ceramic one which is what I like for hot beverages. Down side is the possibility of breakage.
BAH
Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #182

Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Hi Perry,

Thanks,
Raya
Hi Raya
Item #370299221466 is the ebay sale number.
The press mechanism is stainless steel with a non skid rubber bottom and an insulating plastic outer shell.
I pour in 1 2/3 cups of boiling water from the micro wave every morning and have never had a problem.
I have used it every day for at least the last 2 years and no problem.
Unless you need a whole pot of coffee this is the greatest.
I just ordered another one. They only have 2 left at this time.
John

Tags
coffee, okra