How do you make Coffee? - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #241

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I have tried those Folgers teabag type instant coffees and also the kind that come in the little tubes. Works in a pinch but just is not the same as "real" coffee.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #242

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
After reading about Aeropress here I bought one. They recommend 175 degree water. That isn't hot enough. I want hot coffee and most brewers recommend 190. I'll try that.

The French press was messier than I like. Can't see myself using this Aeropress inside the trailer either.

Why do I keep buying these things when I keep going back to my cheap Miletta?

Would use something different but Fred and I drink different brews so the Milleta system works best for us.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #243

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
My first (actually, unless I'm traveling, my only) mug of coffee a day has to be "right". My favorite is a locally roasted Sumatra Mandheling from Hyman Smith in Syracuse. For those interested, they also make the best decaf I've ever had (Gourmet Hotel Decaf) both of which are available along with many others at their website.

At first I used a small inverter to run my grinder & used a Melita system combined with heating water on the stove. Refilling the Melita cone a couple of times to get a mug full was OK, but I broke down and added a 1000 watt inverter to the Escape. My excuse is I'll use it for other things, but since my 4 cup drip coffee maker draws 600 watts for about 5 minutes while making a mug of coffee, it works fine with my pair of 6 volt batteries & solar panel.

Amazing what we go through to get our first (and best) cup of coffee!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #244

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you can have my 12 cup perkolator when you pry it from my cold caffine induced trembling fingers......
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #245

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita Liberty
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
Okra ? Guess I missed that one - Tell me more....

All I can say is...maybe it's Ocra, and maybe it'snot.
rgbekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #246

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
We too must have our coffee first thing. We have the old style percolater but its not old. Made by Paula Deem brand. Target store. I still like lighting a fire and putting the pot on the BBQ ring. Boiling water for instant also works. Dont forget to add the Bailey's or Jack Daniels when the sun goes down.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #247

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
An insulated French Press
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #248

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Dont forget to add the Bailey's or Jack Daniels when the sun goes down.
or make a Coffee Nudge!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #249

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
An insulated French Press
Thats what I used and I love the coffee it makes but it broke this year and I decided it had been a bit of pain to clean out especially when dry camping & I was short on water. Trying out a cone system now which is easier to deal with. Got a collapsible cone from REI that takes up little space and it fits nicely on a large thermos I have.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #250

Carol, Mine is made of stainless steel and I have had it for several years, still like new. Just a splash of water and a quick wipe from a paper towel. I'll have to check out the cone system.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #251

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Carol, Mine is made of stainless steel and I have had it for several years, still like new. Just a splash of water and a quick wipe from a paper towel. I'll have to check out the cone system.
Tim I had mine for years as well but then the section that holds the mesh decided one day it had one to many presses...... almost got another but decided to give the cone a try for awhile.

This is the cone I purchased - it goes completely flat for storage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #252

Carol, That looks pretty interesting, I may have to give one a try. Just wish that you didn't have to use a filter Oh well you can't have everything not only in a camping trailer but everything else too. I do like the way it packs away nice and small. You will have to let me know how you like it when you give it a try. Thanks,Tim

update: I ordered the cone from REI
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #253

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I spotted an old style white enameled percolator in a bin at an antiques shop, with all the appropriate innerds still intact. Its nice for making perk coffee and can also heat water. It reminds me of camping out when I was younger (even the occasional ground that floats around in my cup ).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #254

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
A new coffee option.. trader Joes is selling a little tube of instant already mixed with creamer and sugar. Not everyone's taste but if you like your coffee that way, it's pretty good. You really need two portions for a good sized cup but they are 10 for$2 so not a big deal.

I have been using my Keurig B130 (small footprint, office model) when I have electric and Starbucks Via when I don't, but I think I will stock the cheaper TJ's stuff.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #255

Name: Jason
Trailer: soon to be in the market
Nevada
Starbucks Via is good in a pinch...
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #256

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
I tried starbucks via instant and it is not my mama's instant! quick, easy and strong! It's a winner!!!
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #257

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Both the Via and the TJs stuff taste like instant to me at first taste, but then they taste pretty good. Since I normally bring along sweetened creamer, I figure the TJs works for me. And easy to boil water on the gas stove. Via offers you more choices in blends of coffee and I think they have decaf.

This is what I am waiting for, though.

MyFrenchPress

Then I could stock the same k-cups which gives better coffee and lots of choices. But it has been coming soon for six months now.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #258

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile How we make coffee

We use hot water and instant. That way we can make tea, hot chocolate, or any of the flavored coffees, even bouillon and soups.

At home we heat a full teakettle of water, complete with whistle, and then pour it into one of these:

ShopStanley-pmi.com*:* Classic Vacuum Bottle 2.0 Qt. - Hammertone

The water stays hot for hours and even overnight.

When camping, we just heat enough water to make the two cups/mugs whatever.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #259

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Bobbie,

The Aeropress coffee system looks like the MyFrenchPress you linked to and is out. Got one and it makes a good cup of coffee and is easy to use and clean. We will use it when we go camping in April.

We have been using the good old reliable Melitta drip filter when we camp. I will always keep the cone in my camping/trailer supplies.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #260

Trailer: 88 Cadet
French press is the way to go. Only requirement is hot water and you can grind your coffee fresh before leaving. Plus, you can toss all the left overs on the ground and not kill the environment. No plastic containers to pack out and one of the freshest forms of coffee you can have.
Time for a cuppa!
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra