How do you make Coffee? - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #281

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
First of all THIS IS MY FAVORIT THREAD!!!!

Over the past year, I have tried 2 different approaches to making coffee:
  1. Colman Camping Coffeemaker Mac App Store - Markdown Pro
  2. Stainless Stell French Press (from Starbucks)

I love the Colman! I found it on Craigs List. The previous owners got it as a X-mass gift and never used it. I bought it for $15! How could I go wrong? It works great on my propane stovetop. I could also put it on an open fire. The coffee tastes ... way above average. I've use bottled water and have never been disappointed. And I found a perfectly sized cabinet to stow it in.

My only problem is it is bulky, so you have to make room for it on the stovetop. And you have to drink the coffee right away or it will get cold. When traveling solo, I learned to make just enough coffee for me. I do own a thermos, which I could use if I want to make an extra cup "for the road". It is very easy to clean.

A big problem is that it if very difficult to find a replacement carafe that fits the coffeemaker. One night, after I set it out on the stove top for the next day, I foolishly played around with the window shade and accidentally overturned the coffee maker, breaking glass carafe. Cleaning up the glass in the middle of the night was not fun! Going without coffee was like ... unthinkable, so when I could not immediately find a replacement carafe, I bought a [unbreakable] steel french press.

I bought my first French Press coffee maker over 35 years ago, and IMO, it does make the best coffee. I have 2 problems with it: the coffee becomes bitter if you don't drink it right away. Because it requires a rather course grind, you just can't run into a store and buy a run-of-the-mill bag of ground coffee. And it is very messy to clean out the coffee grinds - which is problematic when you are dry camping and have to watch your water usage. It actually takes more water to clean out than my Colman. Go Figure!

However, the French Press is compact for storage, and it is very easy to use in the morning. All you do is add boiling H2O to the pot, wait 3 minutes, then push the press down. And (did I mention) it makes the best tasting coffee?

I'm looking very hard for a stainless steel carafe that fits the Coleman, as it offers me the best options for having my coffee and taking it in the car too.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #282

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Found this for the Coleman

They make a stainless carafe.

Coleman - Coffeepot Carafe SS for Propane Coffeemaker

Was browsing and found it.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #283

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
Will have to read this thread in detail.. good stuff. I usually use a glass french press or an old '30s aluminum percolator. I have a little Braun grinder but never took fresh-ground camping- just a bag of Dunkins or Tim's. Also drink tea a lot, usually mint or Red Rose

Seems like this should work in a camp generator...
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #284

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
coffee

I use the old percolator that can be kept warm on the fire or used on any stove
Attached Thumbnails
60.jpg  
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
They make a stainless carafe.

Coleman - Coffeepot Carafe SS for Propane Coffeemaker

Was browsing and found it.

Teri
Hey Teri, you're so responsive to other posts! Good work.

I spotted this carafe last year, but I'm having trouble getting the Coleman folks to confirm if this carafe fits my coffeemaker. If you look on the site, my model is not listed for this carafe. What I'll probably have to do is purchase it, test it on my coffee maker, and send it back if it doesn't fit.

I have so many other things to do, I have not been following through on getting a replacement carafe. Some family stuff has kept me off the road, but as out-of-town training opportunities are around the corner, I'll to order something!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #286

It looks like I got the wrong Link in my previous thread discussing my Colman Camping Coffee Maker. Here is another stab at it: Amazon.com: Coleman Camping Coffee Maker: Sports & Outdoors

Sorry.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW View Post

Seems like this should work in a camp generator...
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #288

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
Jane if I am worried about bulk you can get a drip basket that you can set on your cup or on a pot. and just heat up hot water. I have a coleman like yours and I agree it is bulky and slow. That is why I have gone back to a regular coffee pot
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #289

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Aerobie Aeropress - perfect for camping

Hi, I love the Aerobie Aeropress for Scamping! No glass parts, very easy to clean up, makes coffee as strong as you want it. Makes at most 2 servings at a time. Enjoy!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #290

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Heidi, I have been using an Aeropress for 4-5 years now, and almost always use 4 scoops of coffee, and fill the plunger to the max with boiling water to add to the grounds. Though they call this 4 shots, I find it will make 3 good sized cups of fairly strong coffee.

I roast my own beans, and have found that the Aeropress is one of the best ways to extract a great cup of coffee.

I also like roasting some beans to a light Rench roast, and use a moka pot (stove top espresso), and either add a bit of hot water for an Americano, or a bit of frothed mild for a cappuccino. Total yuminess either way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #291

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Heidi, I have been using an Aeropress for 4-5 years now, and almost always use 4 scoops of coffee, and fill the plunger to the max with boiling water to add to the grounds. Though they call this 4 shots, I find it will make 3 good sized cups of fairly strong coffee.

I roast my own beans, and have found that the Aeropress is one of the best ways to extract a great cup of coffee.

I also like roasting some beans to a light Rench roast, and use a moka pot (stove top espresso), and either add a bit of hot water for an Americano, or a bit of frothed mild for a cappuccino. Total yuminess either way.
We'd get along great, Jim! I too roast my own beans and we usually travel with an aeropress or moka pot. I also bring a simple Hario manual Burr Grinder and so can grind the beans then and there, without waking the neighboring campers up! And more importantly, keeps me from missing my espresso machine at home
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #292

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
For you esspresso boondockers. This looks awesome available at MEC
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #293

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Luke, I have used a Hario Coffee Mill before, and liked it a lot. The manual one I am using now is a Porlex. I too very much prefer a fresh grind, it makes a HUGE difference is the taste.

Mark, I have looked at one of those Handpresso machines, and the new Wild Hybrid model will now accept your own ground coffee as well as the pods.

The also have a new model, the Auto ESE, which is a 12V espresso maker. They are both kinda neat, but a bit pricey, and not near as simple as methods I prefer as I worry about breakage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vqhDhv2al38
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #294

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Luke, I have used a Hario Coffee Mill before, and liked it a lot. The manual one I am using now is a Porlex. I too very much prefer a fresh grind, it makes a HUGE difference is the taste.

Mark, I have looked at one of those Handpresso machines, and the new Wild Hybrid model will now accept your own ground coffee as well as the pods.

The also have a new model, the Auto ESE, which is a 12V espresso maker. They are both kinda neat, but a bit pricey, and not near as simple as methods I prefer as I worry about breakage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vqhDhv2al38
Nice! I think your Porlex would be an upgrade over my Hario, if I remember right. The Hario lets me screw in a plastic jar, keeps it light for flying.

And thx for the Handpresso links to yourself and Mark - I've never seen one in person - only online. Would love to check one out sometime. They do seem pretty snazzy, and yes - pricey. There are always wish-lists tho!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #295

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Smile Pot Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy N View Post
I, like Roy, can't imagine camping without that first cup of coffee in the AM. And I collect coffee pots! I have four currently in my camper, all of them purchased at second hand stores, (Goodwill, Savers) for very little.

They are all (except one) based on adding boiling water to grounds. The big one is a three section aluminum drip pot consisting of a top section for the boiling water, a center basket for the filter and grounds, and a large bottom pot to hold the brewed coffee. It will make about 6-10 oz cups. Next is a Melita one cup filter, great for making one insulated mug of coffee, with very easy clean up. One is an Italian expresso maker, making coffee with steam that fits in those Little Bitty cups that hold about two thimblefulls of very strong stuff. The last is the French Press. I also have the metal one, that makes about two good size cups, or can be used as an insulated mug. And I also carry an old fashioned coffee grinder (yes, the kind with the crank on the top).

Now you see why I had to get the Scamp 5th Wheel, only way to carry all the coffee makings.

All of these beat making anything drinkable out of those "crystals" they call instant coffee.
Judy
We must have been separated at birth. I also carry several different coffee pots, most from 2nd hand stores but I did buy one new Paula Deem model.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #296

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Smile Camp Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detrick View Post
I use the old percolator that can be kept warm on the fire or used on any stove
This is how our camp sites always look. Have to have coffee on all the time. Hubby is great at getting that morning fire started and the coffee perkin!
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #297

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Leave it on a HOT stove all day?? Horrors! I can still remember the nasty stuff in our geology field office when I was on a crew back in the 70's. I swear you could use that stuff to etch steel.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #298

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I have a little camp stove percolater that I've used a few times but I cant seem to get the right size grounds so they end up working their way thru the little openings in the bottom of that tray (not a big fan of chewing my coffee). So now I just use a little 4 cup coffee maker. There's nothing like a baileys and coffee to wake you up before starting breakfast.
Note to self, better stock up on baileys before the 3rd annual Manitoba rally at St. Malo Provincial Campground in August.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #299

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Bodum or folgers individual coffee bags.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #300

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
I have a little camp stove percolater that I've used a few times but I cant seem to get the right size grounds so they end up working their way thru the little openings in the bottom of that tray (not a big fan of chewing my coffee). So now I just use a little 4 cup coffee maker. There's nothing like a baileys and coffee to wake you up before starting breakfast.
Note to self, better stock up on baileys before the 3rd annual Manitoba rally at St. Malo Provincial Campground in August.
I use an old "6 Cup" Revere Ware percolator with similarly oversized holes in the basket. I get the flat Melitta™ coffee filters that line the basket or the ones that fold into a little pouch in the basket. I never have to worry about grounds regardless of the grind.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra