How do you make Coffee? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Thumbs up

You mean that people actually camp in places WITHOUT a Starbucks??????Isn't that taking roughing it a bit too far ?

Personally I have 2 percolators in the egg- one for the stove top and a small electric one. That way no matter where we are I can have my cuppa joe.
Then there is my itty bitty drip pot that only makes 1 cup at a time that I found at a flea market- great for a quick cup for 1. I carry pre-ground coffee and some round filters that fit all 3 pots. Nothing makes the egg feel more like home than the smell of decent coffee brewing.

For those of you who can't remember the OLDEN days of truely roughing it, you can still make boiled coffee in any old thing that will hold water- Set the water over the fire and throw a handful of coffee grounds into it when it boils. Let it simmer till dark enough to suit you. Just remember to let it sit for a few minutes so the grounds will sink to the bottom before you try to ladle it out into cups. Not recommended for the weak of heart or sensitive taste buds.

We have tried the "Coffee Bags" and I guess they might do for someone who only drinks a cup of coffee once a year, but we could not handle them as being anything like real coffee. Don't even get me started on instant coffee!!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Patricia,
What ever happened to the old idea of putting the grounds in an old sock which acted something like a filter. One didn't have to wait for the grounds to settle out.

Personally, when at home, I prefer a one cup Mellitta funnel and filter set-up which I have to use by filling twice with water because of the size of the mug. When camping, my insulated mug only holds one filling of water so I don't often get to consume as much.

I think I enjoy the smell of the coffee as much as the actual drinking of it.

Kurt & Ann K.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Perc missing inside coffee ground holder = camp coffee. Any old container that can hold water, throw the grounds in, let boil.

Pour carefully! Or don't sip the last bits. (Not "good to the last drop"?)

My mom had an elegant old perc, beautiful to look at, shined to a gleam, that she would watch over, knowing exactly the moment when the colour of the liquid in the bubble at top meant it was ... Perfect Coffee.

You can also get little round coffee filters with a hole in the middle to put in before spooning in the ground coffee. Very classy.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
If you perk coffee without the inner thingy (boiling water with grounds dumped in) you can at the last moment dump in a little cold water. This is supposed to bring the grounds down to the bottom of the pot, so you can pour out just brewed coffee.

I remember a discussion on fgrv.com a while ago about "cold brewed" coffee. People made coffee "essence" and kept it in the fridge. They then mixed this with warm water when making a cup of coffee.

Can we revisit that discussion?? Who was it??
Old 08-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
That would be me (I think). I had Cold Brewed Coffee over thrity years ago and it was great. It is sorta like SunTea only with Coffee and much stronger. So you add Hot water with the Cold Brew to make a cup of coffee. This is Really Rich, Smooth, Great Tasting coffee. (No Acid bite.)

Just found these links,
http://www.toddycafe.com/customerser...structions.php
http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67

PS: I can’t seem to duplicate the coffee my friends made. Maybe my tastes have changed.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
when i was a kid, about 55 years ago, we hauled bees in the spring into the northern calif. mountains and slept on the gound.
coffee was made in an old coffee can....throw in a handfull with water and put it on the fire untill it boiled for awhile.

today, we have a cuisinart that grinds the beans first.
of course that means starting the generator first, which means, with others in camp, waiting untill after 0700.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We use a cold brew system from www.ToddyCafe.com and love it. Make your concentrate before your trip and then add 1/4 concentrate to 3/4 hot water. Produces a cup of great coffe with less caffine and less acid...................nice to know for old stomachs which don't appreciate either!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #22
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Quote:
when i was a kid, about 55 years ago, we hauled bees in the spring into the northern calif. mountains and slept on the gound.
coffee was made in an old coffee can....throw in a handfull with water and put it on the fire untill it boiled for awhile.
today, we have a cuisinart that grinds the beans first.
of course that means starting the generator first, which means, with others in camp, waiting untill after 0700.
When we're camping, we rough it, so:

We grind the beans before we leave home and keep them in the Casita's freezer 'til time to make the coffee.
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
mr coffie the only way to go its the first thing that goes in the tt when we get ready to go
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #24

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Mr. Coffee sleeps pretty late when there is no outlet in the trees
I tried the cold brew stuff. It was "ok". For me, an ex chain smoker, I thought it was a bit weak for my tastes after 30 years of making it spoon stand up strong just so it would penetrate the nicotine haze in my mouth.

As an ex smoker, I STILL like it that way.
PS...

Quitting Ciggies = misery, uncomfortable and not easy, but I got over it.
Quitting Caffiene = IMPOSSIBLE!!! The longest I went was 3 days and I wanted to shoot myself. That first cup of real joe after 3 days of caffiene free was as good as heroin is to a junky...

awwwww.... sweet relief!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Mr. Coffee sleeps pretty late when there is no outlet in the trees
You haven't found the right kind of current bush? Tsk tsk tsk.

Well, neither have I.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
You haven't found the right kind of current bush? Tsk tsk tsk.
Well, neither have I.

Sense we no longer have Burning Bushes, you might try “Fireweed”.

Name:   fire2.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  14.0 KB

Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #27

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
You have to plug into one of these:

Currant Bush
Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #28

Name: Bill & Sandra Hanna
Trailer: 19' 2011 Escape
Texas
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
you all are getting pretty funny! thanks for all the ideas. i may try the camp coffee thingy again, but use those round 'grounds in the filter' for those fancy single cup makers and see what that does. We may have a 'coffee making' contest! ha!
thanks again.

Tags
coffee, okra