How do you make Coffee? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We use a cold brew system from www.ToddyCafe.com and love it. Make your concentrate before your trip and then add 1/4 concentrate to 3/4 hot water. Produces a cup of great coffe with less caffine and less acid...................nice to know for old stomachs which don't appreciate either!
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
when i was a kid, about 55 years ago, we hauled bees in the spring into the northern calif. mountains and slept on the gound.
coffee was made in an old coffee can....throw in a handfull with water and put it on the fire untill it boiled for awhile.
today, we have a cuisinart that grinds the beans first.
of course that means starting the generator first, which means, with others in camp, waiting untill after 0700.
When we're camping, we rough it, so:

We grind the beans before we leave home and keep them in the Casita's freezer 'til time to make the coffee.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
mr coffie the only way to go its the first thing that goes in the tt when we get ready to go
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mr. Coffee sleeps pretty late when there is no outlet in the trees
I tried the cold brew stuff. It was "ok". For me, an ex chain smoker, I thought it was a bit weak for my tastes after 30 years of making it spoon stand up strong just so it would penetrate the nicotine haze in my mouth.

As an ex smoker, I STILL like it that way.
PS...

Quitting Ciggies = misery, uncomfortable and not easy, but I got over it.
Quitting Caffiene = IMPOSSIBLE!!! The longest I went was 3 days and I wanted to shoot myself. That first cup of real joe after 3 days of caffiene free was as good as heroin is to a junky...

awwwww.... sweet relief!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Mr. Coffee sleeps pretty late when there is no outlet in the trees
You haven't found the right kind of current bush? Tsk tsk tsk.

Well, neither have I.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
You haven't found the right kind of current bush? Tsk tsk tsk.
Well, neither have I.

Sense we no longer have Burning Bushes, you might try “Fireweed”.

Name:   fire2.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  14.0 KB

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #27

Registry
You have to plug into one of these:

Currant Bush
Old 08-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
you all are getting pretty funny! thanks for all the ideas. i may try the camp coffee thingy again, but use those round 'grounds in the filter' for those fancy single cup makers and see what that does. We may have a 'coffee making' contest! ha!
thanks again.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler Honey
After a recent trip to Ft. Bragg, I learned several things:
1. You can buy a camping percolator, stainless steel, with the little glass top at WalMart for $32.00 before you go on the trip.
2. All the other campers in town beat me to the thrift shop.
3. All the other campers in town beat me to the local Rite-Aid.
4. The one coffee pot left at Ace Hardware had no guts.
5. There are no WalMarts in Ft. Bragg, CA
6. The one surplus store in town had one coffee pot, old blue enamel look, for $24.00
7. Drip filters folded over don't make good perc filters. The water doesn't drain through fast enough.
8. Paper towels torn properly and folded over (about 1/4 of a towel) make great perc filters.
9. Coffee is the reason one must have a cook top in a trailer. Especially if you pour up the water and get the percolator ready the night before. Turn on the coffee, crawl back under the covers and wait for the chill to leave the trailer. Turn off stove and sip first cup under covers.

I recently bought a toddy coffee maker. Had one years ago. Don't know what happened to it. The stuff is great. I'll take it along on the trip. This is especially good for folks that like lattes. Heat the milk and pour in concentrate. MMMMMMMMm. rich taste.
I'll probably also take along the percolator. (See 9 above.)

Why aren't any of the happy faces drinking coffee????
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #30

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a recipe for "cowboy coffee". Put 2 measured cups of water in a pot and heat until it just starts to boil. Lower heat to a simmer, and add 3 level tablespoons of ground coffee, and stir once. Remove from the heat after 4 minutes. Place one ice cube in pot (or small amount of cold water) and let sit for 1 minute. Pour carefully (or use a ladle) unless you like chewy coffee.

I'm a retired Army cook and made coffee by this method for years in a "field kitchen". Of course, we were using 15 gallon pots and fixing breakfast for 300+ soldiers. It's not Starbucks, but it will give you a recommended daily allowance of caffine.

Tom Trostel
Old 08-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #31

Trailer: Boler 1984
I found a personal coffee maker at Wal Mart in their camping section. It consists of a cup, a top section for coffee, and a lid. You add one spoonful of coffee, a cup of boiling water and let it drip through. Takes about a minute or two and you've got your coffee high.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 95 Bigfoot 17 ft / 2005 F-250 V-10
I have tried a lot of ways--but my favorite has been the Coleman Drip Coffee maker.
Make a great pot of coffee---goes over the burner on the stove.
I think Target carries them in the camping section---only $30 something, I think.
Bonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #33

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
The Coleman drip coffee maker is our choice. Or actually my husbands choice since I found out he hated the cowboy coffee I was making. So, I found the coleman under the Christmas tree last year and it wasn't even on my list.

Karen K.
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
So, I found the coleman under the Christmas tree last year and it wasn't even on my list.
And how long before you let him out of his room to give it a try???

Old 08-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #35

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
We are going on our first campout in our Scamp, and I have our old tenting camp utensils including a small coffee pot thing--but it has nothing inside. Am I missing parts i don't remember, or can you make coffee in this thing. Most rv sites say get a percolator pot for stovetop or campstove. I do have a french press, but it's glass.
any suggestions, recipes???

I cannot wake up in the AM until I have had at least 2 cups of coffee. I cannot stand perked, boiled, coffee.
I was at wal- mart yesterday and found a Coleman 10 cup drip coffee maker in the camping section. I tried it this AM on my gas range in the kitchen and the coffee was just as good as if I made it in my everday drip coffe maker.
It is designed to fit on gas campstoves. It fits my burro range well and cost $39.95.

Hope this helps,
John Perry
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #36

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
Quote:
I cannot wake up in the AM until I have had at least 2 cups of coffee. I cannot stand perked, boiled, coffee.
I was at wal- mart yesterday and found a Coleman 10 cup drip coffee maker in the camping section. I tried it this AM on my gas range in the kitchen and the coffee was just as good as if I made it in my everday drip coffe maker.
It is designed to fit on gas campstoves. It fits my burro range well and cost $39.95.

Hope this helps,
John Perry

I am sold.....this is one thread I have been folowing......I am going with the coleman as my first coffee making thing a ma jig...........I just hope for no drama at the local Wal Mart
thats twice in 1 year we have had Wacko's with guns here in Simi...and of all places...Wal Mart?

Cover me..Im going in
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #37

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I am sold.....this is one thread I have been folowing......I am going with the coleman as my first coffee making thing a ma jig...........I just hope for no drama at the local Wal Mart
thats twice in 1 year we have had Wacko's with guns here in Simi...and of all places...Wal Mart?

Cover me..Im going in
Hi,

I saw the story on the TV.

We have the coleman too and it makes great coffee. It is just too slow. I have a small 2 cup pot for a quick cup in the morning.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #38

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi,

I saw the story on the TV.

We have the coleman too and it makes great coffee. It is just too slow. I have a small 2 cup pot for a quick cup in the morning.
Hi: Just bought a Black & Decker 5 cup(dcm500) Cofeemaker. Seems the right size for a 13' boler. Everything must be teeny tiny... Being Canadian I bought at Canadian Tire store as I don't like Wally Mart either...but I don't own a gun either...
from the north shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #39

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: Just bought a Black & Decker 5 cup(dcm500) Cofeemaker. Seems the right size for a 13' boler. Everything must be teeny tiny... Being Canadian I bought at Canadian Tire store as I don't like Wally Mart either...but I don't own a gun either... from the north shore of Lake Erie
P.S. I forgot to mention the price $9.95C. D.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:10 AM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi: Just bought a Black & Decker 5 cup(dcm500) Cofeemaker. Seems the right size for a 13' boler. Everything must be teeny tiny... Being Canadian I bought at Canadian Tire store as I don't like Wally Mart either...but I don't own a gun either... from the north shore of Lake Erie

This looks like a very nice coffee maker, just about the right size. One problem for many of us, it requires a 120 AC current bush or tree to work.
Thanks for pointing this one out. I would probably get one if I was usually camped with hook-ups.

I wish Coleman made a stove top this size.

Tags
coffee, okra