How do you make Coffee? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #61

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Got an 8 cup French press. It is glass, so we store in its original box when not used. Makes great coffee, simply, with convenience. It's no trouble to wash out the grinds then swoosh the press clean in a bucket. Wish I'd known they come in stainless steel, though.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #62

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Heck, Myron, why not pop for an egg-only, stainless steel, insulated press pot? No more breakage worries, throw-it-in-the-bin storage, plus the inestimable advantage of keeping the coffee hot longer.

We use a glass press pot at home, and even with careful handling I manage to break it every 6 or 8 years. But the coffee is so good compared to all other methods, that I'm willing to pay the breakage cost!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #63

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
Got an 8 cup French press. It is glass, so we store in its original box when not used. Makes great coffee, simply, with convenience. It's no trouble to wash out the grinds then swoosh the press clean in a bucket. Wish I'd known they come in stainless steel, though.

Ah, oui! We finally got a very good deal via ebay store on the BonJour French Press, 8 cups. is polycarbonate so is 'guaranteed not to break under normal use and care". Since I am very careful with most our stuff--our camping utensils are 30+ years old! ha--should last till we can't read the instructions! Took it to the PineKnot Rally and worked like 'le charm-a-vous' so very happy. may bring electric kettle next time so i won't somehow make the smoke alarm go off. (Stupidly put it by the bunk bed area. will move) Really like the press. and yes, it's so french, the whole other side of tiny instructions is in (but of course!) French!
I feel so cool!
thanks for all the advice. I am in your debt! I owe you all a terrific (and French) cup of coffee next time we meet! Just say "Oui, Oui!" and I'll get the cups! Bon jour, mes-a-meese!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #64

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Ah, oui! We finally got a very good deal via ebay store on the BonJour French Press, 8 cups. is polycarbonate so is 'guaranteed not to break under normal use and care". Since I am very careful with most our stuff--our camping utensils are 30+ years old! ha--should last till we can't read the instructions! Took it to the PineKnot Rally and worked like 'le charm-a-vous' so very happy. may bring electric kettle next time so i won't somehow make the smoke alarm go off. (Stupidly put it by the bunk bed area. will move) Really like the press. and yes, it's so french, the whole other side of tiny instructions is in (but of course!) French!
I feel so cool!
thanks for all the advice. I am in your debt! I owe you all a terrific (and French) cup of coffee next time we meet! Just say "Oui, Oui!" and I'll get the cups! Bon jour, mes-a-meese!
A French Coffee Press is making your smoke alarm go off??
Old 10-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #65

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned the Italian method of coffee making, the Bialetti aluminum expresso maker. If you use the usual amounts of water and coffee, it will make great coffee and not expresso. Simple and quick with little to clean up.

Tom Trostel

http://www.bialettishop.com/MokaExpressMain.htm
Old 10-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #66

Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
A French Coffee Press is making your smoke alarm go off??

nope, the dummy that let the water get a bit too hot! ha!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #67

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I don't know about your smoke detector, but some have a sensitivity setting. You might want to look for that.

I thought the directions called for boiling water. That's as hot as it gets.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:02 AM   #68

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: You mean if it gets too "STEAMY" in there... the smoke det. goes off??? That'll let every one in the campground in on your "Little secret". Sooooooo" If the R.V's rockin' don't come nockin'" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #69

Trailer: Apache
I have a couple of old perculators for my stove but you lot have convinced me to try the drip type and french press types.
I found this french press travel mug, anyone here own one like it?
Nice design but not sure i like the asking price
http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Desi...-Mug-p-192.html
Denis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #70

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
I have a couple of old perculators for my stove but you lot have convinced me to try the drip type and french press types.
I found this french press travel mug, anyone here own one like it?
Nice design but not sure i like the asking price
http://www.liquidplanet.com/Planetary-Desi...-Mug-p-192.html

I got one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's Starbucks and it works quite fine.
Starbucks Barista Thermal Travel Press®
Stainless Steel $22.95
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #71

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I got one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's Starbucks and it works quite fine.
Starbucks Barista Thermal Travel Press®
Stainless Steel $22.95

You all have me hooked. I love coffee and have been a drip maker at home and out of desperation a perker when camping.
I just received my 16 oz. insulated French Press mug that I ordered on ebay.
The directions say 1 tblsp for each 4 oz., I used only 3.
It is the best, but strongest, cup of coffe that I have ever had.

Thanks again,

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
You all have me hooked. I love coffee and have been a drip maker at home and out of desperation a perker when camping.
I just received my 16 oz. insulated French Press mug that I ordered on ebay.
The directions say 1 tblsp for each 4 oz., I used only 3.
It is the best, but strongest, cup of coffe that I have ever had.

Thanks again,

John
Hi: Why not wake up Mr. Coffee and let him make your cuppa!!! And while he's busy Aunt Jemima can start breakfast...Then it's Mr. Cleans turn to wash up...and while you sleep in Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker could start lunch... For dinner it's Uncle Bens turn and you haven't even been out of bed yet Is it crowded in here or is it just me Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #73

Trailer: 17 ft Bigfoot and 16 ft Scamp
Wow So many different ways to make coffee. My mother who was born in 1900 worked many years for cook houses both for loggers and for road building outfits. There were times in the first days of sitting up camps that cooking was done over a camp fire. A huge pot of water was sit on the coals with about a lb or so of coffee grounds, when it almost boiled over it was yanked off and sit on a hot rock to simmer or keep warm. When I was a child (not SO many years ago) we often followed my father to where the Trees were being felled. My mother used a gallon can on the fire pit to boil coffee the same way using pliers to lift it off and pour after it sat a few minuets. The first cup always contained a few grounds and was called the "courtesy" cup because it was always offered to someone else. By the time the coffee was finished of course it was a little thick then someone would dump the grounds and start over. Coffee was on the camp fire all day and offered to anyone who visited the camp (Now that is hospitality lol)
Dotty
Terry Branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Wow So many different ways to make coffee. My mother who was born in 1900 worked many years for cook houses both for loggers and for road building outfits. There were times in the first days of sitting up camps that cooking was done over a camp fire. A huge pot of water was sit on the coals with about a lb or so of coffee grounds, when it almost boiled over it was yanked off and sit on a hot rock to simmer or keep warm. When I was a child (not SO many years ago) we often followed my father to where the Trees were being felled. My mother used a gallon can on the fire pit to boil coffee the same way using pliers to lift it off and pour after it sat a few minuets. The first cup always contained a few grounds and was called the "courtesy" cup because it was always offered to someone else. By the time the coffee was finished of course it was a little thick then someone would dump the grounds and start over. Coffee was on the camp fire all day and offered to anyone who visited the camp (Now that is hospitality lol)
Dotty
When backpacking thats how we made coffee too. Strain the grounds with a paper towel. Called it Cowboy Coffee
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #75

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
The simplest, quickest, cleanest, cheapest is the paper filter in the plastic cone with stove water poured through it. No fuss, no muss -done.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #76

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our 110v "drip" coffeemaker has a thermal carafe (so it doesn't have or need a heating element underneath) and the top swings backward so you can fill the cold water resevior and put in the coffee grinds and filter. The upshot of which is I can also boil water on the propane stove and manually pour it through the grinds when we're dry camping.

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #77

Trailer: Trail Michigante
I use one of these "chorredaors" I discovered in Costa Rica. The coffee from one of these simple lil devices is muy excellente'! Just put some freshly ground coffee in the cotton "sock" at the top, put your cup underneath and pour boiling water through the sock. Simple.

The wire stand pulls out of the wood base, so it takes up practically no space at all in the lower cabinet of our '72 Trail Mite.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
CostaRicaCoffeeMaker.jpg  
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #78

Registry
Hi: Now this "Costa Rican" coffee maker is the first "truly teeny tiny trailer" coffee maker I have seen OLE' Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #79

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
I use one of these "chorredaors" I discovered in Costa Rica. The coffee from one of these simple lil devices is muy excellente'! Just put some freshly ground coffee in the cotton "sock" at the top, put your cup underneath and pour boiling water through the sock. Simple.

The wire stand pulls out of the wood base, so it takes up practically no space at all in the lower cabinet of our '72 Trail Mite.

Vic
Great! I've been wondering what to do the all the old socks I have in the drawer.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #80

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Quote:
The simplest, quickest, cleanest, cheapest is the paper filter in the plastic cone with stove water poured through it. No fuss, no muss -done.
Yes sir, you are spot on! I use the #4 cone filters (they are easier to grasp and I am less apt to make a big mess...) and a 1.5 cup Ball Mason jar for a recepticle, as I can keep track of the level... and also make an extra cup while the water is still hot!
I use this method at home... and when camping!
Having tried many methods of making coffee (except for those overly complicated/expensive/yuppy ones...) this works perfect for me.
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, okra