How do you make Coffee? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #81

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
DonInChatt,
Methinks it might be wise to darn the holes before brewing unless you enjoy chewing the coffee

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #82

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
DonInChatt,
Methinks it might be wise to darn the holes before brewing unless you enjoy chewing the coffee

Kurt & Ann K.
I never get holes in the toe, just the heel, so I'm safe to make some good coffee.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #83

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
"I think one possibility would be a Melitta drip thingy. Boil your water on the stove and pour it into this coffee grounds filled filter frame placed over your coffee pot."

I do the same but right over my coffee cup (using non bleached filters which are inexpensive). Percolated coffee is rarely done any longer. Bedsides tasting like #!*%, their may be a link from the high oil it produces and pancreatic cancer. I remember a lot of discussion about this starting in the 1970's.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #84

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Great! I've been wondering what to do the all the old socks I have in the drawer.
Hi: I just got around to sorting out my socks after Christmas The old ones will make good polishing cloths for use on the Fiberglass That way it won't matter that they don't all match Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #85

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm looking at coffee making methods for the trailer. Just curious as to what everyone else does.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #86

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Bobbie, I bought this French Press insulated mug on ebay for camping. It makes almost 2 cups of the greatest coffee. I use it every day now. I use my coffe maker only when I have company.
One large tablespoon of coffee fill with hot water let set for a minute, less if you are desperate for you caffine fix, and you have great coffee.
John
Attached Thumbnails
frebech_press_cup_001.jpg   frebech_press_cup_002.jpg  

John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 AM   #87

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
What size grind do you use in these type of cups? I am going to go looking for one this weekend.
Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #88

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Bobbie, I bought this French Press insulated mug on ebay for camping. It makes almost 2 cups of the greatest coffee. I use it every day now. I use my coffe maker only when I have company.
One large tablespoon of coffee fill with hot water let set for a minute, less if you are desperate for you caffine fix, and you have great coffee.
John
Starbucks has a stainless steel insulated french press mug as a stock item in most of their locations. Makes a great cup of coffee with no grounds leakage.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #89

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
What size grind do you use in these type of cups? I am going to go looking for one this weekend.
Dave
I use the Costco Kirkland brand coffe in a 3 pound can. The Costco brand of coffee is the best I have found other than the very expensive custom blends. It's a dark roast fine grind.
If you cannot find one, the Ebay item # for one like mine is 220140040915.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #90

I'm gona find me a little press pot/cup this week. In the mean time the ole pour it through a filter over the cup worked for me this weekend in the Burro.
Attached Thumbnails
Coffee.jpg  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #91

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Wow, the last post on this thread was in August, But having read it and being a coffee lover I didn't see the

Aeropress mentioned:

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

This is my favorite method for quick, excellent, no clean-up coffee. All you need is a pot to heat water. A grinder unless you grind the coffee at home before you leave.

I've used:

Ibriks -- love Greek/Turkish coffee
Press pots
Bunn Drip machines
Melita Cone and filter (no.2) My second favorite method
Moka pots
Percs - I agree with the thread that states this is the worst possible way to make coffee

I love my Aerobie Aeropress -- Check it out. Really neat for camping also

Geron
Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #92

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Aeropress looks interesting; what about cleanup? At home, where I can wash grounds into the disposal, no big deal, but how hard is it to clean otherwise? (PS, doesn't look much different than a French press.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #93

Quote:
Aeropress looks interesting; what about cleanup? At home, where I can wash grounds into the disposal, no big deal, but how hard is it to clean otherwise? (PS, doesn't look much different than a French press.)
Bobbie
Clean up:
Hold the aeropress over the trash (compost bag) gently slap the plunger with the hand and it pops the puck into the garbage. Swish the plunger in water or just wipe with a paper towel you're done. About 5- 10 seconds or less and you never touch the grinds - ever. The puck pops out the bottom into the garbage.

The plunger cleans the chamber as you press -- no cleanup of the chamber at all as with the presspot!
For me it's MUCH easier to clean than the press pot. Once the water boils you're 30-40 seconds from the cup. The coffee is comparable to the presspot but the variables in brewing a cup are more manageable with the Aeropress (I think)
JMO
AND NO. I don't sell these things. Check out this thread for far more info on the Aeropress than you would ever want.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/195166

There's about 28 pages of this thread and the Aeropress is THOROUGHLY discussed and critiqued

Geron
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #94

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
I agree that AeroPress does look very interesting and the website gives a lot of information and lists retailers, but I could not find a price. What does it cost?

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #95

Quote:
I agree that AeroPress does look very interesting and the website gives a lot of information and lists retailers, but I could not find a price. What does it cost?
Vivian
They run in the neighborhood of $25.00 with 350 filters. A Google shows several suppliers.
Amazon.com has them. Seems I've seen them for less that 25 in some places but the shipping may be higher

Ignore all the espresso hype on the box and advert's. It just makes an excellent cup of Joe quickly.

g
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #96

Aeropress video below. I ordered one today from Liquidplanet.com.
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/videos/Aeropress.wmv
Dave
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #97

Quote:
Aeropress video below. I ordered one today from Liquidplanet.com.
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/videos/Aeropress.wmv
Dave
Dave Mac,
I think you'll enjoy, at least -- I'm convinced.
Been aeropressing for several months now. Even my wife finally gave up her Melitta Single cup drip cone for the aeropress. Guess I'll have to order another one.

Read the thread on Coffeegeek.com for brewing with a gold filter or poly filter and the inverted method to get the oils into the cup. That is if you like the oils in your cup like with the presspot.

However, I think the method in the instructions and in the video are hard to improve upon. That's the way I brew.

OH! I meant to add, Alan Adler, inventor of the Aeropress is on the coffeegeek forum. He's more than glad to answer any of your questions and consider suggestions.

G
Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #98

Quote:
Dave Mac,
I think you'll enjoy, at least -- I'm convinced.
Been aeropressing for several months now. Even my wife finally gave up her Melitta Single cup drip cone for the aeropress. Guess I'll have to order another one.

Read the thread on Coffeegeek.com for brewing with a gold filter or poly filter and the inverted method to get the oils into the cup. That is if you like the oils in your cup like with the presspot.

However, I think the method in the instructions and in the video are hard to improve upon. That's the way I brew.

OH! I meant to add, Alan Adler, inventor of the Aeropress is on the coffeegeek forum. He's more than glad to answer any of your questions and consider suggestions.

G
Thanks for the info. Couple questions on YOUR use of the Aeropress:
What size grind do you use?
What temp water?
10 second step?
Fast or slow press?

I found a local coffee roasting company here in Fresno, Ca. Went to visit them at a farmers market yesterday. The reason was after reading some off the coffee geeks stuff about fresh roasted coffee. So I found this company that roast the morning they go to some of these local Farmers Markets. I got some same day roasted Columbian Supremo Bucaramana and some Guatamalan Huehuetenango. They were out of Kona but hope to have some next week. I just got couple 1/4 pound bags. I'm wanting to try this fresh roasted and grind just prior to pouring on the hot water.
Mail man just came... no Aeropress today... maybe tomorrow....
http://fabianoscoffee.com/
Dave
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #99

Learned all I know about the Aeropress from the Coffeegeek.com forum so here goes:

1. I set my Capresso Infinity between Fine and Medium. Grind needs to be finer than Drip and not as fine as espresso. Rule of Thumb: if the press "stalls" or is too hard to press, the grind is too fine. At about 15 lb. pressure the press should take about 20 seconds +/- (trick I learned, just put your hand on the press then lean your arm on your hand on the press -- that's about 12-15 lbs for the "normal" arm. Also beats trying to push down with both hands on a Pre-coffee morning.

2. Water temp is HIGHLY debated. Instructions recommend between 165-175 - not over 175 F. Actually it depends what you want in the cup. That's the joy of the Aeropress -- you can "design" the cup. Experiment, experimint, experiment. My pref. is between 180 and 190 depending on the darkness of the roast. Higher temps for lighter roasts. lower temps for darker roasts.

3. The instructions recommend stirring vigorously (like the Clover) for 10 seconds and press for 20 seconds -- AGAIN, Depends on what you want in the cup. Experiment, experiment, experiment. Fast or slow press -- Did I say Experiment

I roasted three batches of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe today (iR2). I like it light around city to city+. I roasted some up to full city/light french and did not like it.

Being a virtual newbie to the coffee "snob" scene, I'm not yet familiar with the varieties you mentioned. Would be interested in what you think of them. I'm not an experienced "cupper", wouldn't have a clue.

I'm currently roasting and drinking Tanzania Highland Peaberry, the Yirg I mentioned, and Guatemala SHB Ep Estate Antiqua. Just got the last two (5lb each) and am working on a roast profile I like for them.

That's the joy of the Aeropress. Complete control over:
Water temp.
extraction time (steep/contact with grinds)
filtration methods
etc. etc.

Did I mention experiment No other method I know of offers the extent of control over the brew as does the Aeropress.

Geron
Drink coffee: Do stupid things faster with more energy
Old 10-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #100

Quote:
Learned all I know about the Aeropress from the Coffeegeek.com forum so here goes:

1. I set my Capresso Infinity ,(snip_
etc. etc.
Did I mention experiment No other method I know of offers the extent of control over the brew as does the Aeropress.

Geron
Drink coffee: Do stupid things faster with more energy
Thanks much. Got the Aeropress today and about to try my first cup with it. I think I'll go with the 175 temp and 10 seconds for the first try. The Guatamalan I have is pretty nice so I'm going with that. I am certainly no coffee geek "cupper" either. But the few cups I have in a day I want to be is good as I can make them. So experimenting is fun.
Dave

Tags
coffee, okra