How do you make Coffee? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #101

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Thanks much. Got the Aeropress today and about to try my first cup with it. I think I'll go with the 175 temp and 10 seconds for the first try. The Guatamalan I have is pretty nice so I'm going with that. I am certainly no coffee geek "cupper" either. But the few cups I have in a day I want to be is good as I can make them. So experimenting is fun.
Dave
Let us know your results.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #102

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Well the Aeropress is amazing. This thing is THE easiest thing to use. And as for cleanup there's nothing to it! This is the coffee maker I have been looking for for camping. Beats the H**L out of any French press. And it is even easier to use then the filter basket on top of the cup method.

Oh did I mention the coffee tasted GREAT. The acid and bitterness is realy cut. And NO grounds. Not the slightest hint of grounds. And you can make a killer espresso or regular cup with it.

All you need to use it is the Aeropress, anything to boil water in and a cup. I also have in my kitchen a small container with an opening the size of a coffee cup that I sit the Aeropress on top of to "pop" out the grounds when finished brewing. Then you just wave it under running water and put it away. It realy is great! Great cup of coffee also.

Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #103

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
I haven't roasted my own for awhile but I was getting a nice selection of organic, fair trade, green coffee beans from Seven Bridges.

http://www.breworganic.com

You can also get all you beer making items there too but I don't think it would work well in an Egg.

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 AM   #104

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Quote:
Well the Aeropress is amazing. This thing is THE easiest thing to use. And as for cleanup there's nothing to it! This is the coffee maker I have been looking for for camping. Beats the H**L out of any French press. And it is even easier to use then the filter basket on top of the cup method.

Oh did I mention the coffee tasted GREAT. The acid and bitterness is realy cut. And NO grounds. Not the slightest hint of grounds. And you can make a killer espresso or regular cup with it.

All you need to use it is the Aeropress, anything to boil water in and a cup. I also have in my kitchen a small container with an opening the size of a coffee cup that I sit the Aeropress on top of to "pop" out the grounds when finished brewing. Then you just wave it under running water and put it away. It realy is great! Great cup of coffee also.

Dave
Glad you liked it!!
Now comes the fun. It's so easy to experiment;
Different coffees
different grinds
different water temps
Extraction/brew times
Grind/water ratios
different filters

You can make your own "designer" coffee. Because of the reduced acid and bitterness I find myself drinking much stronger coffee. My "usual" quick cup is 4 T grinds to abut 6 oz of water.

Enjoy!!
Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 AM   #105

Quote:
I haven't roasted my own for awhile but I was getting a nice selection of organic, fair trade, green coffee beans from Seven Bridges.

http://www.breworganic.com

You can also get all you beer making items there too but I don't think it would work well in an Egg.

Paula
Living in GA I use Javajoejava Co. --they ship free to addys in GA.! Decent selection also. Have also used Sweet Maria's -- But like I said, I'm relatively new to the roasting scene. Have discovered there is a learning curve.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #106

Quote:
Living in GA I use Javajoejava Co. --they ship free to addys in GA.! Decent selection also. Have also used Sweet Maria's -- But like I said, I'm relatively new to the roasting scene. Have discovered there is a learning curve.
I've learned that when you buy the quickee roasters that it can roast too fast. Suddenly you have a Spanish, practically burnt roast. But I still enjoy it, the roaster that is, not the burnt stuff.

Hmmmm, maybe it's time to start roasting again.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #107

Quote:
I've learned that when you buy the quickee roasters that it can roast too fast. Suddenly you have a Spanish, practically burnt roast. But I still enjoy it, the roaster that is, not the burnt stuff.

Hmmmm, maybe it's time to start roasting again.
What type/brand roaster do you have?
Thinking of selling it?
Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 11:19 PM   #108

Quote:
What type/brand roaster do you have?
Thinking of selling it?
Dave
Probably not till I have money for a pricier model. Before I invest in a new roaster it will be money into various camper safety items like CO and propane detectors, you know what I mean if you've read the catalytic heater question.

Since I'm not at home I can't tell you the brand but it makes small quantities at one time, about a pots worth. It has a warmup time period of a couple of minutes and then you dump the green beans in for no more than five (if I remember right) depending on the roast. It's a very simple setup, kinda like a really, really hot hairdryer. You just have to sit there and wait for first crack, second crack and if you are brave till the oils start smoking, then pull them out fast. Seconds too long can kill your planned roast.

Paula
Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #109

Dave Mac,

If I may chime in here I currently am roasting with an iRoast2 from Sweet Maria's.

Also have modified 3 or 4 popcorn poppers which also do a remarkably good job roasting the bean in smaller amounts.

I have a Stir Crazy popcorn popper that I'm waiting to modify when I afford to get Sunpentown convection/turbo oven.

Do a google for popcorn coffee roasters and you'll come up with some interesting sites.

Sounds like Paula may have a Fresh roast roaster.

g
Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #110

Found it!

It is a FreshRoast, see url below. I bought it from these guys.

http://www.breworganic.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=760

paula
Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Dave Mac,

If I may chime in here I currently am roasting with an iRoast2 from Sweet Maria's.

Also have modified 3 or 4 popcorn poppers which also do a remarkably good job roasting the bean in smaller amounts.

I have a Stir Crazy popcorn popper that I'm waiting to modify when I afford to get Sunpentown convection/turbo oven.

Do a google for popcorn coffee roasters and you'll come up with some interesting sites.

Sounds like Paula may have a Fresh roast roaster.

g
Thanks for the info. I had seen the iRoast2 and actualy JUST watched videos on popcorn popper roasting on Youtube! Anyone interested go to youtube and search "home coffee roast" and you'll see m,any different ways.
I am currently waiting for some roasted Kona coffee direct from an estate in Hawaii. I have been dieing to tell you all about it but I want to see, smell and taste it before I report. I'm thinking today MUST be the day that the mail man brings it!. I can't wait! And now I am going to garage sale me a air popcorn popper with the vents on the sides of the bottom not in the middle as I learned from watching videos.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #112

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000
Hello my name's Roberta, I'm a coffee addict.

No true connoisseur but I love my coffee like the rest of you. Black coffee doesn't always agree with my stomach particularly first thing in the morning. Latte or a cappuccino give me my coffee hit and the milk seems to work well to neutralize whatever causes my stomach to react. Recently purchased one of the Bialetti Mukka Express pots. I think it will work well for my needs. I was bit surprised at the price but I like the fact that I can toss everything in at once, water, coffee, milk and within four minutes of the time I set it on the stove I have my morning brew. Not quite the same as what I make with the Gaggia on my kitchen counter but in the long run the Mukka seems a lot easier. The taste is quite mellow even with the Kirkland Roast by Starbucks from Costco or some of the grocery store expresso roast beans. Heading down to Descanso, CA with some of my women's trailer group this weekend so I'm going to give it the trailer test

The aeropress sounds like a nifty way to make coffee too but then I'd have to heat milk, etc.

Roberta
Terry F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #113

Ok all you caffeine lovers here's the deal on the Kona coffee I got on Wednesday. lets start with GREAT!
The full story
My brother-in-law lives in Truckee Ca near Donner pass (another story). Anyway next to him is a smaller cabin. One morning we were having coffee and he told me he got the coffee from his neighbor how lives in Hawaii and owns a coffee farm! This was like 5 years ago we had this conversation. So when I decided to try and get some REAL Kona coffee not that Kona "Blend" junk this all came back to me. Long story short.... emailed brother-in-law who answered with info on this guys farm.

Here it is:
http://www.makahikifarms.com/index.htm
Jonathan & Nancy here at Makahiki Farms have some GREAT coffee. And for those of you who like to roast your own you can also get green coffee from them too. I personaly bought their sample pack of the 3 types of coffee beans they sell all 100% Kona. This pack came with:
1/2 pound of their "Extra Fancy" which is their best sorted bean the larger nice bean.
1/2 pound of their "Estate" which is a mixture of the extra fancy and other smaller beans
1/2 pound of the "Peaberry" which is when a single bean comes from the coffee cherry and is like only 4% of a crop.

So far I have been drinking the Extra Fancy only as I don't want to crack the seal on the other bags until I'm ready to start brewing it. This coffee is realy something different. I had never had 100% Kona before and there is NO bitterness to the coffee.

I have been emailing back and forth with Jonathan and Nancy at the Makahiki Farm and sure are nice. I learned a lot about Kona from their website. Their coffee is also stamped by the Kona Coffee Council that regulates an insures the quality of 100% Kona coffee. I learned a lot there too http://www.kona-coffee-council.com/

I was having so much fun I even Google Earthed their coffee farm near Captain Cook, Hawaii!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image__4_.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	10593

Oh, and I bought a shirt too for the heck of it because their label is realy nice looking!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MakahikiFarms_label_unlettered.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	10594

Yesterday I saw our local coffee roaster at a farmers market and I brought her some of the coffee beans I got. She seemed impressed with the coffee and I think she is going to order some green coffee from them too. One of the guys she works with that was there actualy took a bean and chewed it up.... Something I have yet to try myself!

I have been using my regular drip pot and also my new Aeropress and I'm starting to go tward the Aeropress as I can control the strength better.

Anyway check them out I thought I would pass this on and any of you home roasters or people looking to try something different could look into it.

By the way they will roast it to your roast type preference too. The roast they typicaly send out is fairly dark so if you like a lighter roast consider that. The green coffee bean prices are not on their website but Nancy told me they are per pound:
Peaberry $16.50
Extra Fancy $15.00
Estate $13.50

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
products.jpg   t_shirt.jpg  

Old 10-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #114

Quote:
By the way they will roast it to your roast type preference too. The roast they typicaly send out is fairly dark so if you like a lighter roast consider that. The green coffee bean prices are not on their website but Nancy told me they are per pound:
Peaberry $16.50
Extra Fancy $15.00
Estate $13.50

Dave
I'm just on the verge of ordering a pound of each of the green. That's some expensive bean!! I'm accustomed to paying from $3-6 for a pound of green. However, I understand ( I think) why the Kona brings such a price. I have some Ethiopia Peaberry that is outstanding!! I'm just going to have to experience the Kona peaberry I guess. It's a toll free call from the US -- maybe just call the order in.

Geron
Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #115

Quote:
I'm just on the verge of ordering a pound of each of the green. That's some expensive bean!! I'm accustomed to paying from $3-6 for a pound of green. However, I understand ( I think) why the Kona brings such a price. I have some Ethiopia Peaberry that is outstanding!! I'm just going to have to experience the Kona peaberry I guess. It's a toll free call from the US -- maybe just call the order in.

Geron
Yes I'm sure you can call the order in to them and they would be happy to help you with what ever you need. They don't show the green in the order area I don't think. When I ordered the roasted coffee I just did it online and they use Paypal for payment so it was very easy for me. But they mention if you don't like Paypal or you have any questions just call them up.

Tell um Dave from Fresno sent ya and you may even get a discount.....

I wish it wasen't so late so I could have another cup right now.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #116

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
However, I understand ( I think) why the Kona brings such a price.
Does anyone here order the GEVALIA coffee?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #117

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
No, never got to try it. One of our wedding presents years ago was someone that ordered the Gevalia Coffee that came with the free coffeemaker and they regifted the coffeemaker to us, but kept the coffee for themselves.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 AM   #118

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
We did for a while. It was good, but expensive.

We now like and use Seattle's Best. We buy it at our local grocery store. cost about $7.99 to $9.49.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #119

Quote:
I never have. I have found from readind different coffee info that the best coffee is not only ground fresh beans and make the coffee immediatly but also getting beans that have been roasted within a few days. Coffee in a bag with a use by date of a year is not any good. Coffee you order and it is roasted just before being sent to you is the way to go. I Have noticed the difference in the coffees I am drinking now. I have been buying from a local roasting company that roasts thier different coffees just prior to going to the farmers market where I catch them. They roast Friday night and sell Saturday morning. You can tell the difference. Now I have gotten some fresh roasted Kona and realy like that even more. Roasted one day and onits way to me the next. No more cans from the store for me. Or Bags from Starbucks. I figure if I stop buying coffee drinks from Starbucks I can afford all the fresh Kona I could ever want.

I am now huntting for either a home roaster or the right type of old popcorn popper so I can try roasting my own. Really more for fun than expecting to start always roasting my own coffee. I love a good science experiment.

Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 AM   #120

Quote:
I am now huntting for either a home roaster or the right type of old popcorn popper so I can try roasting my own. Really more for fun than expecting to start always roasting my own coffee. I love a good science experiment.
Dave
Dave,

You've gone this far -- aero press and Kona coffee -- You just gotta try some home roasting. I've a couple or three "modded" poppers and the iRoast2 from Sweet Maria's. It's not really a problem or all that time consuming.

Grab a good book and after a couple or three hours you've got a good week's supply of fresh roasted coffee. A roast takes 7 to 12 minutes with a 20 minute wait between roasts ( 2-3 roasts per hour). The iR2 will roast about 140-150 grams of coffee per patch. 150 grams almost fills a pint fruit jar (roasted coffee) - depending on the bean. Go big time and get a drum roaster for your grill!!!
Matter of fact have to roast today - I'm getting low on coffee.

Geron

Tags
coffee, okra